U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738

Advertisements

That's correct... although there's a fair chance there wouldn't be any income tax at all in your suburban municipality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
just to clarify: so if I live in the burbs but work in the city, I would pay the Philly wage tax but would not have to pay local income taxes to the surburban township in which I live? But if I do live and work in the burbs, I would pay the local income taxes? I think I'm confusing myself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
33,072 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Reputation: 55491
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
just to clarify: so if I live in the burbs but work in the city, I would pay the Philly wage tax but would not have to pay local income taxes to the surburban township in which I live? But if I do live and work in the burbs, I would pay the local income taxes? I think I'm confusing myself...
Right. I live in Norristown, which has a 1.6 percent income tax; I work in Philadelphia, which collects 3.8 percent or thereabouts from my paycheck.

My local income tax return has a box to check which basically says "I work in Philadelphia, leave me and what's left of my money the heck alone."

The spouse, who is self-employed, pays the Norristown tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
282 posts, read 778,724 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Right. I live in Norristown, which has a 1.6 percent income tax; I work in Philadelphia, which collects 3.8 percent or thereabouts from my paycheck.

My local income tax return has a box to check which basically says "I work in Philadelphia, leave me and what's left of my money the heck alone."

The spouse, who is self-employed, pays the Norristown tax.
Truly sad it is that the spouses can't take credit for some of the stuff we pay to Philly. That one still kind of smarts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
 
10 posts, read 50,651 times
Reputation: 15
jumping in here-not really a reply but a question. If I accept job in Montgomery county but choose to live in Philadelphia, then I pay state income tax and philadelphia wage tax? If I work and live in Montgomery County, then I pay rate based on residence or job plus the state income tax rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazlyn View Post
jumping in here-not really a reply but a question. If I accept job in Montgomery county but choose to live in Philadelphia, then I pay state income tax and philadelphia wage tax? If I work and live in Montgomery County, then I pay rate based on residence or job plus the state income tax rate?
That's correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazlyn View Post
jumping in here-not really a reply but a question. If I accept job in Montgomery county but choose to live in Philadelphia, then I pay state income tax and philadelphia wage tax? If I work and live in Montgomery County, then I pay rate based on residence or job plus the state income tax rate?
If you live or work in PA you have to file a state tax return.

If you live or work in Philly then you pay the Philly wage tax. If you live and work in places that are not in the city then you pay those local wage/income taxes - if any - and in most cases there aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 AM
 
1 posts, read 15,876 times
Reputation: 11
I live in Phila and work in MD. However, I spend 5 days a week in Maryland so I don;t have to commute. What Phila taxes am I obligated to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Yardley PA
689 posts, read 2,095,016 times
Reputation: 184
No you're right, you got it.. You don't have to pay double, you just have to pay SOMEWHERE.. unless you're not living or working in philly and your local township does not have a wage tax, then you're not paying anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM
 
5,969 posts, read 7,996,292 times
Reputation: 1614
What if you work in a PA suburb and live in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
PA and NJ have a reciprocal agreement, so your PA employer should withhold NJ taxes. You should only be required to file a NJ tax return, reporting NJ wages, even though you worked in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top