U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,996,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
PA and NJ have a reciprocal agreement, so your PA employer should withhold NJ taxes. You should only be required to file a NJ tax return, reporting NJ wages, even though you worked in PA.
Thanks, just wanted to know if I had to file in both states. Thanks for the info. I have not recieved my first check yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM

9 posts, read 34,883 times
Here is another question - what if you live in the City, but work in Southern NJ? Then you pay the city tax right? And is that city tax deductible on your Federal Tax return? And is it paid on gross income or taxable income, or another variation all together? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,682 times
I lived in Philadelphia for six months of last year and had this Wage Tax deducted from my salary. Is there a way to file to get some of this money back like you do on PA and NJ State Taxes?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocan-anj View Post
Here is another question - what if you live in the City, but work in Southern NJ? Then you pay the city tax right? And is that city tax deductible on your Federal Tax return? And is it paid on gross income or taxable income, or another variation all together? Thanks in advance.
If you live in the city you pay the wage tax regardless of where you work.

NJ and PA have an agreement - if you're crossing the river it doesn't matter where you live/work. You only pay the state taxes where you live.

Income Tax - PA/NJ Reciprocal Income Tax Agreement - NJ Taxation

The wage tax is a gross tax. I think there's a deduction on the federal tax return but it's not like you can write off the whole amount.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,401 times
Ok, I may be pushing the boundaries of bearable discussion here, but I'll do it anyway...

I am self-employed and incorporated in NJ. If I work a few days (ie: as a contractor) for a company in Philly, do I have to pay city wage tax on the money I earn in Philly? I realize that I'd pay the city wage tax if I lived in NJ and my employer is in Philly. But in this case, the Philly company isn't really my employer so much as a customer. (Or am I completely wrong on this?)

Any help on this one? THanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,888 times
Default I work in Claymont, De, but live in Philadelphia

Hello.

I do not have a clue about taxes. So I need help deciding if this is right or not. If I work in Claymont, De, and I live in Philadelphia what taxes shouldI be paying? Currently my company is taking out Delaware state tax, and Philadelphia tax. But this does not seem right? Shouldnt it be one or the other?

Thanks for your help

Mario Bonelli

Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM

324 posts, read 1,126,052 times
DE and PA do NOT have a reciprocal agreement.
You will have to pay the following:
1 - Philly wage resident tax
2 - DE withheld tax (could be up to 6.95%)

When you file your taxes, you file the following:
1 - DE Non-Resident Form
2 - PA Resident (DE taxes get credited towards PA tax load)
3 - Federal Return

Philly taxes are as is...if you want my advice, if you can afford to, move out of Philly (and preferably into DE). I don't think you will get the overpayment to DE back from the state of PA because they don't allow deductions on their tax forms aside from incurred work expenses.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,553 times
so i work in nj and live in phila do i have to pay city wage tax

Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM

47 posts, read 149,297 times
I am soooooo confused with all of this! I currently live in NJ and work in Philly....so my paycheck will already deduct the wage tax? I am moving to Philly soon and I will be renting, will they take out even more since i live in Philly now?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
jeez, I have to imagine that this wage tax basically forces people (and companies) out to the 'burbs, eh?
exactly. If you make a decent salary you have to move out of the city or get banged with a hefty wage tax. It was almost $500 a month for us. So we moved to Jersey..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia