U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:27 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times

Advertisements

so someone explain the wage tax to me. I think I understand it, but I need some clarity:

-- if you live in the burbs but work within Philly city limits, you pay the wage tax. Correct?
-- if you live AND work in the burbs, do you still pay any wage tax or something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM

97 posts, read 514,516 times
1) Yes
2) No wage tax (usually).

Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_in_Pa View Post
1) Yes
2) No wage tax (usually).

what are the circumstances that you'd have to pay a wage tax if you live and work in the burbs?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM

Per Capita & Occupation Assessment Tax
Borough of New Hope, PA (http://www.newhopeborough.org/faqs.htm - broken link)
There are a couple of taxing authorities with some "weird" taxes.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times
A number of suburban townships have a wage tax, but usually it's along the lines of 1% instead of the higher city tax.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 PM

You owe me a Miller Lite, maf.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 PM

jeez, I have to imagine that this wage tax basically forces people (and companies) out to the 'burbs, eh?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 AM

Access to public transportation (i.e., hordes of people willing to work for thirty grand a year) keeps many low-margin companies within the city limits.

There's also a tradition or expectation of higher-quality services available only in the city. If you were spending a bundle on accounting and tax services each year, who would you be more likely to hire....Joey Levandowski and Assoc. in Plymouth Meeting, or ABC, LLC on Market St., in Phil?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 AM

33,072 posts, read 61,890,891 times
-- if you live in the burbs but work within Philly city limits, you pay the wage tax. Correct? Yes, but the percentage take out of your paycheck is lower than if you lived and worked within the city limits. It's still a huge chunk of change, though; higher than the state income tax. The payoff you get for living in the city is lower property taxes. And free garbage collection.

-- if you live AND work in the burbs, do you still pay any wage tax or something similar? Many suburban townships and cities have their own income taxes, just like in Ohio; however, if you work in Philadelphia and pay Philadelphia's income tax, you are exempt from income tax in your township or city of residence.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
-- if you live in the burbs but work within Philly city limits, you pay the wage tax. Correct? Yes, but the percentage take out of your paycheck is lower than if you lived and worked within the city limits. It's still a huge chunk of change, though; higher than the state income tax. The payoff you get for living in the city is lower property taxes. And free garbage collection.

-- if you live AND work in the burbs, do you still pay any wage tax or something similar? Many suburban townships and cities have their own income taxes, just like in Ohio; however, if you work in Philadelphia and pay Philadelphia's income tax, you are exempt from income tax in your township or city of residence.
just to clarify: so if I live in the burbs but work in the city, I would pay the Philly wage tax but would not have to pay local income taxes to the surburban township in which I live? But if I do live and work in the burbs, I would pay the local income taxes? I think I'm confusing myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia