U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
 
1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Reputation: 411

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Crawling out from under your rock trying to blow up a couple more threads I see.

Didn't you learn your lesson a couple months ago? South Jersey is a nice blue collar area with small pockets of wealth e.g. Moorestown,Haddonfield,Voorhees. Think I-295 Industrial Parks and Jr. VP's working in Center City. Great area for the middle class.

On the otherhand the Pa burbs are full of corporate office parks, bio med,pharmacuetical, and about 60 colleges and universities. Think HQ corporate parks and CEO's.

Its not even close the economic disparity between Chester,Bucks,Montgomery Counties in Pa and the 3 South jersey counties. Its ridiculously skewed towards the Pa counties having the higher quality of life.

The North jersey counties are different story but South Jersey is not of the same ilk as the Pa burbs and especially their Northern brethren.
I learned you are woefully uninformed as to the cost of housing in SJ with taxes 50% higher or more in many areas of PA. I learned you have no idea that SJ is economically superior to PA by any economic pub out there. I learned your opinion of economic development is the number of Kohls in an area which is laughable and tells me more than I need to know. Other than that PA number 1!

Also, ask yourself if you would pay $16,400 in property tax for this property in Medford. Don't you see how silly you sound?

Prudential Fox and Roach - Home Search / Property Profile (http://www.prufoxroach.com/search/search_results_profile.cfm?propID=e342efb9-9429-4655-8a81-86605c7a1e7c&propNo=2&sortby=1&pagestart=1&startro w=1 - broken link)

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 06-03-2008 at 10:28 AM..

 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
$14k for that is nothing more than a sign of how poorly run and inefficient NJ is. I'm not sure why anyone would cite high RE taxes in an attempt to make other people envious.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
 
1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
$14k for that is nothing more than a sign of how poorly run and inefficient NJ is. I'm not sure why anyone would cite high RE taxes in an attempt to make other people envious.
Actually, it is $16,400. However, I agree, the housing affordability in NJ has become a major problem. The point isn't to brag, it is to show the dramatic difference in housing costs between the two areas. Rocker will post some type of outdated nonsense at the county level (you watch). When in fact the more desirable of areas of SJ are much more beyond reach for the average homeowner. And, I should point out, SJ (moreso than NNJ) has more state-mandated affordable housing options for low income families than anywhere else in the region.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Reputation: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I learned you are woefully uninformed as to the cost of housing in SJ with taxes 50% higher or more in many areas of PA. I learned you have no idea that SJ is economically superior to PA by any economic pub out there. I learned your opinion of economic development is the number of Kohls in an area which is laughable and tells me more than I need to know. Other than that PA number 1!


Prudential Fox and Roach - Home Search / Property Profile (http://www.prufoxroach.com/search/search_results_profile.cfm?propID=e342efb9-9429-4655-8a81-86605c7a1e7c&propNo=2&sortby=1&pagestart=1&startro w=1 - broken link)
Where in the world are you getting your information? This is all completely backwards.

1.) It's a known FACT that property taxes are much higher in New Jersey than in Pennsylvania, which is why there is a steady influx of former NJ residents into neighboring PA counties:

New Jersey's highest-in-the-nation property taxes increased by 5.4 percent last year.

That's more than a cap meant to keep such increases at 4 percent, but also is the lowest increase since 2003.

The state Department of Community Affairs figures issued on Tuesday show the average residential property tax in New Jersey increased to $6,796 last year, up $350 from 2006.


NJ property taxes jump 5.4 pct - South Jersey - NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/southjersey/index.ssf/2008/03/nj_property_taxes_jump_54_pct.html - broken link)

2.) No one is seriously trying to belittle South Jersey, because it is a strong part of the regional economy -- but it's common sense that when a strong majority of the metropolitan population lives in PA (around 4 million out of 5.8 million), the economic strength is clearly skewed toward PA. It's really not rocket science.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM
 
1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Where in the world are you getting your information? This is all completely backwards.

1.) It's a known FACT that property taxes are much higher in New Jersey than in Pennsylvania, which is why there is a steady influx of former NJ residents into neighboring PA counties:

New Jersey's highest-in-the-nation property taxes increased by 5.4 percent last year.

That's more than a cap meant to keep such increases at 4 percent, but also is the lowest increase since 2003.

The state Department of Community Affairs figures issued on Tuesday show the average residential property tax in New Jersey increased to $6,796 last year, up $350 from 2006.


NJ property taxes jump 5.4 pct - South Jersey - NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/southjersey/index.ssf/2008/03/nj_property_taxes_jump_54_pct.html - broken link)

2.) No one is seriously trying to belittle South Jersey, because it is a strong part of the regional economy -- but it's common sense that when a strong majority of the metropolitan population lives in PA (around 4 million out of 5.8 million), the economic strength is clearly skewed toward PA. It's really not rocket science.
The greater Philly area goes up to Mercer County, NJ and areas of deep South Jersey are developing rapidly further expanding the region's viability. The point is, however, that Burlington County and other more southern areas have been developed with smart growth initiatves and open space policies that far exceed anything in PA. In addition, Burlington County, NJ was at one point of the top counties in the country for number of acres preserved from development. The implications are clear - SJ has a very bright future with more and more high paying jobs and upper middle class families relocating from other higher cost of living areas like NY state. They want high quality of life with access to everything. Who do you think is paying that $16,400? PA is done - it was developed with the mindset of an 18 year old and very poor local govt. The only growth spot in PA of any consequence is Lancaster, PA and the Lehigh Valley and they are too far out to be taken seriously. In addition, Mount Laurel has basically become the new corporate gateway to Philly region with the amount of office space, temp corporate housing, hotels, conferences. There is reason why property taxes are high, schools are being built and expanded. Sure the govt is corrupt and bankrupt but there is no slowing the SJ tide. It is the engine of growth to the state and the region at large.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
MR, your posts get more and more bizarre. You start with what seems like good facts and info, then you go off on rants. NJ is over-developed. It's quintessential sprawl (i.e. farmland, then highway, then housing, then shopping centers, then more housing, etc.) - who else besides you says otherwise? Jersey City was cited as a smart-growth location, but I'd venture a guess that JC is way too beneath you for you to ever give it credit.

NJ has open space policies that exceed PA? Come on, now. I thought the average NJ resident made fun of PA because so much of PA is forests and farmland, but you say that NJ is superior because it has open space initiatives?

Don't be such a homer.

You're posting just to get people riled up. Get back to work.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Reputation: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
The greater Philly area goes up to Mercer County, NJ and areas of deep South Jersey are developing rapidly further expanding the region's viability. The point is, however, that Burlington County and other more southern areas have been developed with smart growth initiatves and open space policies that far exceed anything in PA. In addition, Burlington County, NJ was at one point of the top counties in the country for number of acres preserved from development. The implications are clear - SJ has a very bright future with more and more high paying jobs and upper middle class families relocating from other higher cost of living areas like NY state. They want high quality of life with access to everything. Who do you think is paying that $16,400? PA is done - it was developed with the mindset of an 18 year old and very poor local govt. The only growth spot in PA of any consequence is Lancaster, PA and the Lehigh Valley and they are too far out to be taken seriously.
I don't think you want to go down the road of debating which state has worse local government. NJ has a major budget deficit at the moment ($2.5 - $3.5 billion), whereas PA doesn't have any sort of deficit. I'm sure this doesn't even include all of the fallout of the decline in gambling revenue from Atlantic City:

27 States Faced Total Budget Shortfall of At Least $47 Billion in 2009; 4 Others Expect Budget Problems, rev 5/21/08

Also, let's not forget that high growth is found in Southern Chester, Northern Bucks, and Northern Montgomery Counties, as well. South Jersey hardly has a monopoly on development in the region. Try crossing the Delaware more often -- you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
 
1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Reputation: 411
There's smart growth and there's overdevelopment. Camden County is overdeveloped like all of the PA burbs, Burlington County is not:

Burlington County Press Release (http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/announcements/press/release.asp?Month=10&Submit=Submit&offset=20&Press ReleaseKey=1080 - broken link)

BC a national conservation winner in 2005:

Awards Program, 2005 Conservation Awards Winners: The Trust for Public Land (http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cd.cfm?content_item_id=18658&folder_id=2867 - broken link)

Burlington County is head and shoulders above the rest of the state's counties in terms of farmland preservation." Deborah Bowers, editor of the Farmland Preservation Report, gives Burlington County high marks in terms of their "political commitment, number of acres protected, and level of professional administration (i.e., they have a fully staffed land use office)." The program is clearly a model for other counties in the state.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
 
1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I don't think you want to go down the road of debating which state has worse local government. NJ has a major budget deficit at the moment ($2.5 - $3.5 billion), whereas PA doesn't have any sort of deficit. I'm sure this doesn't even include all of the fallout of the decline in gambling revenue from Atlantic City:

27 States Faced Total Budget Shortfall of At Least $47 Billion in 2009; 4 Others Expect Budget Problems, rev 5/21/08

Also, let's not forget that high growth is found in Southern Chester, Northern Bucks, and Northern Montgomery Counties, as well. South Jersey hardly has a monopoly on development in the region. Try crossing the Delaware more often -- you'll be presently surprised at what you find.
Many towns in SJ have high credit ratings. The State is currently going through a difficult time as is the national economy. The two generally coincide.
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
There's smart growth and there's overdevelopment. Camden County is overdeveloped like all of the PA burbs, Burlington County is not:

Burlington County Press Release (http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/announcements/press/release.asp?Month=10&Submit=Submit&offset=20&Press ReleaseKey=1080 - broken link)

BC a national conservation winner in 2005:

Awards Program, 2005 Conservation Awards Winners: The Trust for Public Land (http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cd.cfm?content_item_id=18658&folder_id=2867 - broken link)

Burlington County is head and shoulders above the rest of the state's counties in terms of farmland preservation." Deborah Bowers, editor of the Farmland Preservation Report, gives Burlington County high marks in terms of their "political commitment, number of acres protected, and level of professional administration (i.e., they have a fully staffed land use office)." The program is clearly a model for other counties in the state.
Have you been to Blue Bell? Lower Gwynedd? Whitemarsh Township (about 1,000 acres of estates/farmland and adjacent to Chestnut Hill)? These are inner suburbs with open spaces, parks, and trees. Not all of SEPA is Philadelphia and KOP. Try heading west out 422 - yes, lots of development, but also lots of preserved land. Try heading down 202 from Lambertville - communities with large lots, large houses, very rustic and bucolic.

Why do you insist on lambasting PA every chance you get? Are you jealous of the attention PA gets because we have most of the good jobs, many more colleges/universities, historical attractions, and all the museums worth mentioning? What is it, exactly? Do your coworkers (by the way, don't you work in PA?) constantly demean NJ and this is your way to vent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top