U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 AM

21 posts, read 70,513 times

Advertisements

Some parts of PA are actually closer to the shore than parts of NJ, I'd have to disagree with this person. I also thought that property taxes are much higher than those in most of PA, at least as compared to the tri-state area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Moorestown IMO is your best location in the
greater Philly area, however, there are plenty of nice burbs on both sides of the river. PA is generally more crowded with less stringent zoning over the years that has caused overdevelopment. SJ has better economic growth, better zoning and is more central located to the northeast corridor. As you can see I'm pretty biased to NJ, I respect the Main Line in PA but not much else. Doylestown is a funny little town, it's a glorified Easton, PA, lots of lipstick and character but primarily a blue collar area. Areas on the train line to Philly to consider - Collingswood, Westmont and Haddonfield, with the latter being most desirable. Property taxes are a problem in NJ though. You'll find cheaper housing farther south but the commute will be an issue. If you want to get to the shore and/or NYC, don't even consider PA. We have the best of all worlds in NJ. Happy hunting.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June1 View Post
Some parts of PA are actually closer to the shore than parts of NJ, I'd have to disagree with this person. I also thought that property taxes are much higher than those in most of PA, at least as compared to the tri-state area.
??????????????????

It is impossible for anything in PA to be closer to the shore than NJ. Check a map. Property taxes in NJ, especially SJ, have skyrocketed in the last 2-3 years and are far above comparable homes in PA.

The point is, the same house in an affluent burb in PA versus NJ is less affordable in NJ. That's the way it ought to be, it has a more centralized location to NE corridor including Manhattan where you can commute under two hours from Burlington County.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Quote:
The point is, the same house in an affluent burb in PA versus NJ is less affordable in NJ. That's the way it ought to be, it has a more centralized location to NE corridor including Manhattan where you can commute under two hours from Burlington County.
That's great, you want a cookie?

Of course NJ is going to be generally more expensive. It's a much smaller state, with big cities bordering the northeast and southwest ends, many highways connecting these 2 cities, train lines that connect these cities, and 100 miles of shoreline on the east.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Yeah, average household income in Moorestown is $78K, that makes sense. Try accuracy first. Wake up, already, common sense should prevail.

Show me ONE house in PA that is more expensive than SJ including property taxes.

Moorestown Township, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moorestown, New Jersey
The median income for a household in the township was $78,826, and the median income for a family was $94,844. Males had a median income of $74,773 versus $39,148 for females. The per capita income for the township was $42,154

Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Quote:
??????????????????

It is impossible for anything in PA to be closer to the shore than NJ. Check a map. Property taxes in NJ, especially SJ, have skyrocketed in the last 2-3 years and are far above comparable homes in PA.

Are you really this dense or do you just like to argue? She's referring to the southern Jersey shore, not the beach. If you are a local, you know better; if you are a transplant, you should know better.

Hoboken to AC - 125 miles
Philly to AC - 61 miles

Get it?

And if it is more expensive to live in a comparable place in New Jersey, why are you always recommending it as this superior alternative to PA?

Most people looking for places to live want to spend LESS money to live in a great locale with great schools. How can you try and sell NJ as the upscale alternative, like some exclusive night club that just opened and they need to get on the list?

Sorry but most folks on here are not looking to spend more money for snob appeal, especially when NJ is notoriously known as a place people want to leave, not move to.

And I love how you treat Burlington county as the center of the universe...my friend used to commute to Manhattan every day and I think people who see that commute as reasonable are smoking crack, especially if they can find a comparable job in the Philly area and live less expensively with a shorter commute. Where's the downside in that?

So I guess I will go with my initial premise that you really do know better but that you like to get people riled up with your Bizarro world view of things.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Show me ONE house in PA that is more expensive than SJ including property taxes.
Using your realtor.com data.I'm afraid it's a different world my friend, its your perogative if you want to continue to stick your head in your Moorestown sand.

Moorestown population 19,000....3 houses currently listed above $3,000,000

Moorestown, NJ Real Estate & Homes For Sale - REALTOR.com

Gladwyne population 5,000.......15 houses currently listed above $3,000,000
Gladwyne, PA Real Estate & Homes For Sale - REALTOR.com

Villanova population 5,000.....14 houses currently listed above $3,000,000
Real Estate Search - REALTOR.com
ctid=61936&mnp=48&typ=7

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Your claims are just baseless. I would not argue Gloucester County is just as expensive as the best areas of PA because you will get more house for the money, though taxes are rising quickly down there, but housing costs in SNJ are simply pricing more people out of suitable 4 bedroom housing than the PA burbs, including the main line.
We've been down this road before. You have it completely backwards, we usually send inquirees looking for more house for their money over to New Jersey not the other way around. Housing in The Pa burbs are much higher priced then our friends over in South Jersey.

Median houses sold Third quarter 2007
By County

Chester(PA)$312,500
Bucks(PA)$300,000
Montgomery(PA)$275,000
Burlington(NJ)$245,000
Delaware(PA)$220,000
Gloucester(NJ)$219,000
Canden(NJ)$199,000

http://www.prufoxroach.com/pdfs/pressroom/pa/2007_9months_PA-Philadelphia.pdf (broken link)

http://www.prufoxroach.com/pdfs/pressroom/nj/2007_9months_NJ-Camden.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The implications are clear - SJ has a very bright future with more and more high paying jobs and upper middle class families relocating from other higher cost of living areas like NY state.They want high quality of life with access to everything. Who do you think is paying that $16,400? PA is done - it was developed with the mindset of an 18 year old and very poor local govt. The only growth spot in PA of any consequence is Lancaster, PA and the Lehigh Valley and they are too far out to be taken seriously. In addition, Mount Laurel has basically become the new corporate gateway to Philly region with the amount of office space, temp corporate housing, hotels, conferences. There is reason why property taxes are high, schools are being built and expanded.
Have you gone mad?

If Mount Laurel were in the Pa suburbs it would be a distant anonymous sub market in the likes of Montgomeryville or Royersford. Are you insane? The Pa burbs have 50% of the corporate jobs, Center City has 27%, and South Jersey has 12% and Del 11%.

Current corporate spec building is 2 to 1 in the 4 Pa burbs compared to the 4 SJ burbs.

New Jerseys property taxes are sky high not necessarily because its such an attractive place to live but moreso becuase your state government is a complete disaster having to come up with billions of dollars per year to support your state pension.

Also In NJ Property taxes account for 50% of the total tax load whereas in PA its closer to 25%. What you fail to realize is that along with property taxes in Pa. we also pay additional local taxes,borough taxes,municipal taxes.

I dont mean to pick on you or South Jersey but you need to get a grip.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM

You don't seem to understand you get MORE HOUSE for the same MONEY in PA versus NJ and you'll pay LESS tax.

Comparable homes:

Moorestown, 7 year old house, price per sq ft $329
$1,195,000
4 Bed, 2.5 Bath
3,628 Sq. Ft.
0.58 Acres

$1,275,000, price per square foot $319
4 Bed, 4.5 Bath
3,995 Sq. Ft.
0.79 Acres

Villanova, 10 year old house, 16 rooms in total, 4500 square feet, price per sq ft $310
$1,395,000
5 Bed, 5.5 Bath
0.38 Acres

Villanova, 9 years old, 5,000 square feet, price per square foot $280
New this week!
$1,399,900
6 Bed, 5.5 Bath
5,000 Sq. Ft.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Are you really this dense or do you just like to argue? She's referring to the southern Jersey shore, not the beach. If you are a local, you know better; if you are a transplant, you should know better.

Hoboken to AC - 125 miles
Philly to AC - 61 miles

Get it?

And if it is more expensive to live in a comparable place in New Jersey, why are you always recommending it as this superior alternative to PA?

Most people looking for places to live want to spend LESS money to live in a great locale with great schools. How can you try and sell NJ as the upscale alternative, like some exclusive night club that just opened and they need to get on the list?

Sorry but most folks on here are not looking to spend more money for snob appeal, especially when NJ is notoriously known as a place people want to leave, not move to.

And I love how you treat Burlington county as the center of the universe...my friend used to commute to Manhattan every day and I think people who see that commute as reasonable are smoking crack, especially if they can find a comparable job in the Philly area and live less expensively with a shorter commute. Where's the downside in that?

So I guess I will go with my initial premise that you really do know better but that you like to get people riled up with your Bizarro world view of things.
You PA guys really must hit the sauce at the same time. Hoboken to AC????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia