U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Philadelphia: job market picture, current unemployment rate, general economy trends, social scene

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:05 PM

217 posts, read 856,380 times

Advertisements

How is the job market picture in the Philadelphia area. The current unemployment rate for the area says 4.9%, not too bad. How long on average do you think it would take to find a new job if one had to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 AM

4,743 posts, read 7,844,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
How is the job market picture in the Philadelphia area. The current unemployment rate for the area says 4.9%, not too bad. How long on average do you think it would take to find a new job if one had to.
The job market and general economy in the Philly area tends to ebb and flow in line with national trends, but it's much more static with slower, stabler growth -- no big booms or busts that you tend to find in other areas of the country.

As for how long it would take to find a job, I think that mostly depends on your field. What is your line of work?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM

My line of work- Marketing Manager for Advertising company but could also do Marketing and Sales for new real estate development. I am looking for a change, and need a break from Long Island, so I am considering Phila, MD/DC area or maybe Charlotte, small chance Orlando. In the position to move anywhere, but most importantly I am trying to gauge the economy, housing, social scene and recreation. If could make the move first then look for work, is it doable? Looking to make a smooth transition.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
My line of work- Marketing Manager for Advertising company but could also do Marketing and Sales for new real estate development. I am looking for a change, and need a break from Long Island, so I am considering Phila, MD/DC area or maybe Charlotte, small chance Orlando. In the position to move anywhere, but most importantly I am trying to gauge the economy, housing, social scene and recreation. If could make the move first then look for work, is it doable? Looking to make a smooth transition.
I wouldn't say that's not doable if you're looking to find a marketing job in the Philly area, but it's slightly more challenging than vice-versa. I would at least research potential employers here (or anywhere, for that matter) before you make any sort of moving commitment, particularly if you are looking at an upward adjustment in cost-of-living. I would say that the Philly and DC areas are the more expensive of your picks (although I know Long Island is not cheap) in terms of cost-of-living, but I'd venture to say that they have much better social, recreational scenes than either Charlotte or Orlando (although I'm sure the job market is decent in those two areas, as well).

It seems that you may want to narrow down your criteria a little bit to give yourself a better direction. Here are some Monster.com postings for marketing jobs in the Philly vicinity to give you an idea about what the marketing job market looks like there. In the mean time, good luck!

Jobs in Philadelphia Pennsylvania | Monster.com

Old 05-30-2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks for replying back, do you live in the DC or Philly area presently. Which area do you like better. I have been to DC a few times and liked it-clean cut, people seemed friendly,smart more subdued at least compared to LI. Philadelphia I was there twice, but for a short time, I did like Center City, South Street (not the most attractive people on that block though) and the King of Prussia mall wherever that was. I will be working and hoping to complete a masters. I have applied to Temple University, Univ of Central FL and Boston Univ, the latter might be too $$. Again, my hope is to find an easy transition into employment, housing and the social scene. Where I am now is good for family living and the summer (beach) thats about it. I had considered but crossed out NYC (Manhattan) Its big $$, had two cousins and three friends move in and out of there, switch roommates only to find themselves living back home with mom and dad. It's fun, but a hassle and grind! There is really a lack of downtowns and young people outside of NYC on LI. There really isn't a Bethesda or Alexandria type place if you've been there.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for replying back, do you live in the DC or Philly area presently. Which area do you like better. I have been to DC a few times and liked it-clean cut, people seemed friendly,smart more subdued at least compared to LI. Philadelphia I was there twice, but for a short time, I did like Center City, South Street (not the most attractive people on that block though) and the King of Prussia mall wherever that was. I will be working and hoping to complete a masters. I have applied to Temple University, Univ of Central FL and Boston Univ, the latter might be too $$. Again, my hope is to find an easy transition into employment, housing and the social scene. Where I am now is good for family living and the summer (beach) thats about it. I had considered but crossed out NYC (Manhattan) Its big $$, had two cousins and three friends move in and out of there, switch roommates only to find themselves living back home with mom and dad. It's fun, but a hassle and grind! There is really a lack of downtowns and young people outside of NYC on LI. There really isn't a Bethesda or Alexandria type place if you've been there.
I'm currently going to school in DC. I originally wanted to relocate down here, but there's really not a snowball's chance in hell I would stick around after I graduate, after having lived here for almost two years (visiting somewhere and living somewhere are two COMPLETELY different things, as we all know). I know I'm biased -- being that I'm from the Philly area -- but I just think it's so much better in a variety of ways. It's cheaper, there's more soul/culture, and the people are friendlier and much more down-to-earth. I will give the DC area props for nice peripheral downtowns like Bethesda, Ballston, Alexandria, etc. -- but to me DC is overwhelming a career town, meaning that people come for the allure of plentiful and good-paying jobs, get their experience, and just leave in a matter of a couple years. This engenders a lot of transience, pretentious self-interest/self-centeredness, and materialism. There are definitely people (mostly natives) who don't fall into that category, but they unfortunately seem to be the exception to the rule, as the area is pretty overrun by transplants as a melting-pot of people from all over the country and the world.

So, sorry for the drawn-out response, but I just wanted to elaborate on my opinion of DC compared to Philly and environs. Again, your best chances for great job prospects are probably in DC, but I'd personally choose a place like Center City or an vibrant suburb (West Chester, KOP, Conshohocken, etc.) for the same amenities without the unnecessary pretentiousness, outrageous cost-of-living, and no bland, overly-sterilized/gentrified environment. Just my opinionated two cents.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm currently going to school in DC. I originally wanted to relocate down here, but there's really not a snowball's chance in hell I would stick around after I graduate, after having lived here for almost two years (visiting somewhere and living somewhere are two COMPLETELY different things, as we all know). I know I'm biased -- being that I'm from the Philly area -- but I just think it's so much better in a variety of ways. It's cheaper, there's more soul/culture, and the people are friendlier and much more down-to-earth. I will give the DC area props for nice peripheral downtowns like Bethesda, Ballston, Alexandria, etc. -- but to me DC is overwhelming a career town, meaning that people come for the allure of plentiful and good-paying jobs, get their experience, and just leave in a matter of a couple years. This engenders a lot of transience, pretentious self-interest/self-centeredness, and materialism. There are definitely people (mostly natives) who don't fall into that category, but they unfortunately seem to be the exception to the rule, as the area is pretty overrun by transplants as a melting-pot of people from all over the country and the world.

So, sorry for the drawn-out response, but I just wanted to elaborate on my opinion of DC compared to Philly and environs. Again, your best chances for great job prospects are probably in DC, but I'd personally choose a place like Center City or an vibrant suburb (West Chester, KOP, Conshohocken, etc.) for the same amenities without the unnecessary pretentiousness, outrageous cost-of-living, and no bland, overly-sterilized/gentrified environment. Just my opinionated two cents.
Duderino- I value your feedback, thats why I came to this site. To find people who live on the block and can tell you about the place, it really saves time, money and gas! After reading your response, DC sounds a lot like NYC and some LI suburbs. I think NY/DC similar because they are more globally looked upon and also home of Capitol Hill/Wall Street hence the rat race nature. True, DC definitely has blander/sterile neighborhoods. But to tell you the truth, I would like to escape that kind of lifestyle you mentioned above, because thats what its like here-selfishness, greed and snobbery. That is the epitome of Long Island! I agree visiting and living are two different things. Would you then say DC is more stressful of a place. Is it harder to meet people because of the transience and diversity of people, it was the case when I lived in Queens, NY. Also, do you know about Baltimore which is what 45 min away, its a smaller place- (a day trip for an orioles game and lunch, or a place to live?) I apologize if I am being annoying.

Last edited by gmagg; 06-01-2008 at 06:07 AM..

Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,466,716 times
Quote:
Would you then say DC is more stressful of a place. Is it harder to meet people because of the transience and diversity of people, it was the case when I lived in Queens, NY. Also, do you know about Baltimore which is what 45 min away, its a smaller place- (a day trip for an orioles game and lunch, or a place to live?) I apologize if I am being annoying.
Like Duderino, I'm a Philadelphia-area native who lives in the DC metro. I can say that after almost three years here that DC can definitely be a stressful place, especially if you have to drive most of the time. You are also correct that the transient factor can make it hard to meet people although not necessarily the diversity (unless perhaps you and your neighbor don't happen to be fluent in each other's languages). In that way, I imagine it's similar to Manhattan and maybe even some of Long Island according to your experiences there.

To me, Baltimore is similar to Philly as far as being relatively down-to-earth and affordable cities. One difference might be that IMO our downtown is more (re)developed than theirs... and B-more's waterfront is more appealing than ours. While I admit to not knowing much about Baltimore's economy, it appears to have increasingly become a feeder region to the Washington area job market. Meanwhile, "sixth borough" remarks aside, Philly's job market still stands on its own.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 AM

183 posts, read 575,946 times
Depends a lot on what field you are working in. IT people and Web programmers are in hot demand right now. Nursing is still hot. Outside the hot areas it could take a while...plenty of displaced people are looking for any job they can get right now.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Duderino- I value your feedback, thats why I came to this site. To find people who live on the block and can tell you about the place, it really saves time, money and gas! After reading your response, DC sounds a lot like NYC and some LI suburbs. I think NY/DC similar because they are more globally looked upon and also home of Capitol Hill/Wall Street hence the rat race nature. True, DC definitely has blander/sterile neighborhoods. But to tell you the truth, I would like to escape that kind of lifestyle you mentioned above, because thats what its like here-selfishness, greed and snobbery. That is the epitome of Long Island! I agree visiting and living are two different things. Would you then say DC is more stressful of a place. Is it harder to meet people because of the transience and diversity of people, it was the case when I lived in Queens, NY. Also, do you know about Baltimore which is what 45 min away, its a smaller place- (a day trip for an orioles game and lunch, or a place to live?) I apologize if I am being annoying.
Not at all -- happy to help out. This is all very true. The stressful/rat race nature definitely comes from being global power centers. I also don't mean to completely deter you from looking into living in the DC area. Some do relocate here and love it (although I'm inclined to think it's people who make mega bucks), but I just wanted to give you some perspective into what seems to be the most common complaints of living here.

I also don't know too much about Baltimore, but from what I gather, I agree with Tone in that it's more similar to Philadelphia, as opposed to DC. It's obviously in the DC sphere of influence, but it still has its own identity, more affordable and more down-to-earth -- more the typical East Coast, big city feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia