Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2023, 01:45 PM

949 posts, read 789,067 times

Advertisements

My XFinity promotional plan's period expires at the end of next month. The customer service rep told me the service will jump in price from $40 to $60/month. My download speeds is 200mbps, which is WAY more than I need. So I asked to downgrade to their 75mpbs plan. The agent told me the cost for that plan would be $65/month, higher than the 200mbps plan!

So I'm wondering if anyone has had any success using T-Mobile or Verizon 5G internet service. I think Verizon requires you to bundle home internet with a cell phone plan, so I doubt it would be cheaper, considering my current cell provider is Ting and I pay $11.36 per month. As of last year, you could get T-Mobile internet without a cell phone plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 08:29 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
I tried T-Mobile's 5G service about two months ago. For the first couple days - the weekend - the service was pretty good. Even the following weekday, when I was unexpectedly home, was pretty decent. Things went downhill fast at night when, presumably, everyone else with T-Mobile cell and internet service came home to use their products. By the end of the week, I returned to Xfinity with my rate reset to the newbie level.

It all comes down to how well the signal from your device is able to carry to your PC/laptop and streaming TV. My experience turned out to be rather disappointing; however, your own mileage may well vary.

Old 03-28-2023, 04:38 PM

949 posts, read 789,067 times
Thanks. I guess I'm stuck with Xfinity. This is probably why when I search for information on T-Mobile internet in this area, I always get a message it is not available now or to act quickly because spots are limited. I think they are running at capacity.

I see Xfinity has raised its rates for new customers. This is what the customer agent was telling me; basically my current plan is no longer being sold (it is, but they've raised the pricing terms). Xfinity 200mbps (which when I subscribed last year was 100mbps but they amped up the download speed a few months ago) now costs $84/month. He said my plan would jump to $60, then $67 the following year (although most of these plans allow for changes in price).

So, for now, I'll stick with Xfinity since it is only $10 month less than T-Mobile and I bought my own Xfinity modem last year. Perhaps I'll look into switching next year as T-Mobile and Verizon upgrade their 5G networks.

For new customers, beware of promotional offers that push you to subscribe to higher rates than you really need because the monthly price after the promotional period ends, could be significantly higher than the rate for a slower speed.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/x...ternet-review/

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 03-28-2023 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-01-2023, 07:34 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
For new customers, beware of promotional offers that push you to subscribe to higher rates than you really need because the monthly price after the promotional period ends, could be significantly higher than the rate for a slower speed.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/x...ternet-review/
The salesperson was kind enough to tell me when the rates would slowly rise and return to what I had been paying before I briefly switch, with it peaking in 2025. I told them, "See you in three years!" when I briefly go offline again for a day or two. They laughed in sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia