Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2023, 01:15 PM

21 posts, read 18,491 times

Advertisements

In the last few hours it was reported that Governor Josh Shapiro announced that the damaged section of I-95 that has and is being removed will be followed by authorities filling in that gap section of I-95 with dirt and rock and paving over it so the highway can be brought back on line relatively quickly, a temporary fix will be done, while the replacement steel spans are fabricated. I applaud the Governors good intentions and I am not a civil engineer but I would suspect the fully confident safe and responsible repair of the highway would be to replace the concrete foundational columns at either end of the damaged spans because the steel rebar if not the concrete itself in the columns is probably compromised from the heat of the fire. One possible idea for reopening the highway and it wouldn't return the normal traffic flow but it would allow one lane in either direction to be opened is to use the Cottman avenue off and on exits for I-95 that currently exists on the northbound direction of the highway as a sort of go around route for the highway to get pass this damaged portion of the highway. Specifically, the idea is to at the bottom portion of the off exit and the beginning portion of the on exit just do the Shapiro plan dump a lot of dirt and rock on these sections creating a road bed and lay asphalt down for the actual road you would have to layout the new asphalt road by steering it like forty yards over so the off and on exit roads would connect but that is commonly done in road construction. Of course not only would the traffic on I-95 have to be reduced to one lane in either direction but the speed would have to be reduced to like twenty-five miles per hour because the traffic would be traveling at a slight decline and incline on this go around route so for safety reasons to avoid a vehicle going out of its lane and causing an accident the speed would need to be lowered to a level where the vehicles would easily be able to maintain control of their vehicles. The advantage of this option is that it would allow road construction crews to get access to the damaged portion of I95 that needs to be repaired. When one considers that like 1600 vehicles a day pass through that point on I95 and around eight percent of them are truck traffic there is an economic consideration here and making it so at least traffic can move through this point on I-95 as opposed to requiring the traffic to get off the highway and get back on there is a significant economic savings with at least keeping the highway passable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 01:49 PM

9,430 posts, read 9,440,318 times
Why did you start a new thread for this? There is already a 95 fire thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: