U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times

Advertisements

I would think that all the public schools (and the private ones, which there are many on the Main Line) have strings programs. Also, have you heard of the Curtis Center in Philadelphia? I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaNova View Post
Thanks, MR. You are lucky to have a place like that in your community - it looks beautiful!

I plan to BE a mini version of that, but just for violin, viola & fiddling, in Rosemont, so people in the immediate area don't have to drive into Philly or further for a high-level private teacher.
No problem, anytime. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 PM

49 posts, read 80,401 times
Thanks, BPP... these suburban kids are really fortunate if they all have string programs. Lots of places have choir, or band (which puts the marching band on the field for football games) but string programs are a little more rare, at least in my experience...

Yes I have heard of Curtis Institute - it is the BEST place to get a classical music education in the country (some say as good / better than Juilliard in NYC). It's a Conservatory... college level music study (although many of the students are young, 12 y.o. or so). I am so excited to go there & hear concerts, master classes, etc!

I've been reading some kind of combative stuff on this forum lately , and I just want to say, I think the Philly area is a wonderful place. Philly area citizens are so fortunate to have all the culture, universities, beautiful homes (even if you can't afford to buy one they're still beautiful!) green spaces, great shopping, good food... any way you slice it, there's a lot of good stuff to be thankful for!

Sure, maybe there are a few more beautiful or amazing places to live on this planet, but you could do a LOT worse as well. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaNova View Post
I've been reading some kind of combative stuff on this forum lately , and I just want to say, I think the Philly area is a wonderful place. Philly area citizens are so fortunate to have all the culture, universities, beautiful homes (even if you can't afford to buy one they're still beautiful!) green spaces, great shopping, good food... any way you slice it, there's a lot of good stuff to be thankful for!

Sure, maybe there are a few more beautiful or amazing places to live on this planet, but you could do a LOT worse as well. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. This area certainly isn't perceived even half as trendy or cool as places like San Diego or SF, and we have some bad weather in the winter months, but there are a tremendous number of assets in this region (universities, hospitals, historical attractions, culture, etc.) that I think makes the region second to few in many respects. If anything this region is overlooked and greatly underrated. However, I think that if Philadelphia improves, i.e. from an economic standpoint (job growth), Metro Philly will all of a sudden start being more appreciated and recognized.

Here's a link to a music school in Trappe, PA, which is about 30-35 or so miles from Center City (about 15-20 from Rosemont). You would take 76W to 422, exit at Collegeville, take 29N to Main Street, make a left, and then it's about 2 miles from there on the right. I know nothing about it but I though I'd send you the link.
Welcome to the Community Music School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia