Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 09:11 PM

7,020 posts, read 3,793,113 times

Advertisements

he expected to miss a significant amount of time due to his injuries.

https://6abc.com/kelly-oubre-jr-76er...rash/14046473/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 06:51 AM

761 posts, read 472,332 times
The article says he was walking west on Spruce and was hit crossing Hicks, which is a little side street that runs between the CVS and The Drake. It "T's" at Spruce so the driver must have been going west as well and then just hung that turn at high speed.

Old 11-13-2023, 02:30 PM

1,215 posts, read 969,594 times
Yeah, terrible look for our city. A professional athlete getting hit and injured in the center of town by a hit and run no less (and not caught). Sigh... all the more reason to get the new Sixers stadium down there. The Sixers facility would effectively stop the dirt bike gangs from cruising down Avenue of the Arts, as well as crazy driving in that area. There would be too much public and private security/police as well as clogged streets. The fact that someone is able to drive fast and crazy enough to hit Oubre and break a rib, to me, means we don't have enough pedestrians and traffic in the heart of our city. It would be ideal if the ground zero of our city became basically undrivable. No one (not even scumbags that hit and run) like sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I would imagine most motorists would avoid that area all-together and take other roads meant and designed for through traffic (e.g. Del Ave, Snyder, Oregon, Girard, Ridge Ave) before cutting into the city to their final destinations. Or better yet, take public transportation.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:36 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,477,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Yeah, terrible look for our city. A professional athlete getting hit and injured in the center of town by a hit and run no less (and not caught). Sigh... all the more reason to get the new Sixers stadium down there. The Sixers facility would effectively stop the dirt bike gangs from cruising down Avenue of the Arts, as well as crazy driving in that area. There would be too much public and private security/police as well as clogged streets. The fact that someone is able to drive fast and crazy enough to hit Oubre and break a rib, to me, means we don't have enough pedestrians and traffic in the heart of our city. It would be ideal if the ground zero of our city became basically undrivable. No one (not even scumbags that hit and run) like sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I would imagine most motorists would avoid that area all-together and take other roads meant and designed for through traffic (e.g. Del Ave, Snyder, Oregon, Girard, Ridge Ave) before cutting into the city to their final destinations. Or better yet, take public transportation.
The little side streets in Center city should have speed humps mid-block.
For example, this is about where he was hit. Hicks should totally have a speed hump midblock.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9472...8192?entry=ttu

While on the topic of a**hole motorists... When I'm in Center City, I witness more reckless speeding compared to Manhattan. We can analyze any number of reasons why, but less general traffic (and perhaps traffic light sequencing?) is certainly a reason.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:27 AM

761 posts, read 472,332 times
The more I think about this, that is a hit and run at a very unlikely/low risk location of a very high profile person. Did someone have beef with him?

Old 11-14-2023, 11:04 AM

4,143 posts, read 2,473,880 times
I used to live on Locust on the other side of Broad. Not far from where it happened. Mind you, that was years ago (early 90's) but I am sure the traffic patterns and counts haven't changed much. I asked this in the basketball forum. Why was he walking in that area by his lonesome anyway? Yes, I know he was going home but to be in the general public wasn't a good move. Did the car jump the curb and just wanted to side swipe Oubre like mentioned above? I can't imagine he wasn't paying attention to his surroundings. It's not a dangerous area per se but you would think he would have somebody with him to watch out for his well being. Anyway, stuff happens and praying for his speedy recovery.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,153,845 times
He probably stayed at The Drake after signing with the team in October until he could find a permanent residence.

But yeah, this just reinforces my beliefs that Philly is far more car dependant than its BOS-WAS counterparts (excluding Baltimore) An auto-centric city, in an even heavier auto-centric metro masquerading as a walkable pedestrian/biker-friendly city.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:53 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
The more I think about this, that is a hit and run at a very unlikely/low risk location of a very high profile person. Did someone have beef with him?

Either way, it really depends on whether he left on his own volition or was lured outside by someone. The police can check his phone records for any potential suspects who told him to come outside or whatever.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:46 AM

2,045 posts, read 811,796 times
Word on the street is Oubre Jr. stole his now wife from James Harden ... Maybe this wasn't an accident after all.

Let's stop blaming motorists and traffic patterns.

We all know the Driver Equity Bill is why there are so many hit and runs in Philadelphia.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 954,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Word on the street is Oubre Jr. stole his now wife from James Harden ... Maybe this wasn't an accident after all.

Let's stop blaming motorists and traffic patterns.

We all know the Driver Equity Bill is why there are so many hit and runs in Philadelphia.
Of course, according to you, whenever anything bad happens, it's the Democrats' fault. LMAO, so predictable. The Driver Equality Law does not allow people to run down pedestrians. Get out of here with that nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia