Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,679,227 times

Advertisements

How do you like the cold? How about rain or snow? Winter lasts close to 6 months in MA, and the rain is actually what finally drove my relatives away and over to California. As for friends up in Boston, the cold and snow is all they ever talk about (but, they hate the cold, so it's sort of their own fault for going to New England).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM

7,249 posts, read 10,499,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
How do you like the cold? How about rain or snow? Winter lasts close to 6 months in MA, and the rain is actually what finally drove my relatives away and over to California. As for friends up in Boston, the cold and snow is all they ever talk about (but, they hate the cold, so it's sort of their own fault for going to New England).
No lie. I was just up in the Boston area for a week in mid-May, and it was still cold enough to wear a jacket.

I think Boston and its suburbs are awesome, but two main things that would be the deal breaker for me are much colder, snowier weather and substantially higher cost-of-living, two very important things that give Philly the slight edge, in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:34 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,700,840 times
Philly is an up and coming city and its such a weird time for anyone living here right now. The city always had a bad rep and its so cool to go around now and look at all of the rebuilding that is going on. I'd pick Philly just for the simple fact that its cheap ( for now),all differnet types of people live here and its edgy.
Bostons pretty much always been a nice place so theres nothing to look forward to as far as the future.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,966,761 times
Boston is rated a USDA zone 6. Philly a USDA zone 7. Although both the North shore and Cape Ann are a zone 7, as is the south shore, Plymouth and Cape Cod.

Snow fall in Boston averages 41" a year, Philly is 21" a year

Springs are late to arrive in Boston do to the still chilly waters of the Atlantic. But this situation is reversed in the Autumn, where the still warm waters of the ocean extend mild autumn conditions well into December.

As for summer heat, Philly receives about 25 90 degree or better days, and 2 days 100 degrees. Boston has 12 90 degree days.

As for zero degree conditions; Boston has 1 day per winter below 0; Philly none.

Bostons climate is greatly influenced by The Atlantic. The city's climate can be best described as damp, changeable and relatively mild for its northerly location. Sea Breezes moderate temperatures in the summer & winter.

Snow fall in the city is considered light for its far north location; with it changing to snow or sleet in the city proper. Bostons climate in recent years has become milder then in the past with 20% more precipitation then 30 years ago. Due to climate change.

Philadelphia's climate can be describes as mid latitude continental, with increasing elements of humid subtropical. Due to climate change.

Extreme high or low temperatures seldom last long. Sometimes during the summer the region becomes engulfed with warm maritime air, producing levels of very high and uncomfortable humidity. Snowfall in the city is light, but as in Boston, areas west & north of the city will see higher amounts of snow.

The passage of low pressure systems in the winter will often bring high winds.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,741,992 times
Whatever other considerations you have, crime should not be one of them. Crime in Philly is greatly exagerated. If you choose to live in one of the ghetto slum neighborhoods then yes it can be very dangerous. If you are an "urban pioneer" type and choose to live in a gentrifying neighborhood adjacent to one these areas then you should be concerned. These are the people mayor Nutter was talking to. The great majority of crime in Philly is thug on thug and/or drug related and impacts the players, their familys and those who choose to get in their way. For the rest of us it isn't a problem.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 AM

48 posts, read 178,139 times
grew up in Philly burbs, have lived in Boston the last 6 years

everything said so far in this thread is pretty much true, major considerations...

Boston (and environs)--
Pros: cleaner/less crime (IMO), better job market (esp. biotech, healthcare, and other white collar jobs), better public trans., MUCH better sports success as of late (something I resent being a Philly fan), easier access to beaches

Cons: high cost of living/high housing costs (huge difference), rougher/colder climate

Philly (and environs)--
Pros: more affordable, greater access to Northeaster Corridor (NYC/Wash/Balt), better food (IMO-- cheesesteaks, pretzels, Wawa)

Cons: avoid rough areas (but many areas are great!)

Both are diverse, mid-size cities that both have more history than any other US city. Both have great colleges, although Boston is more concentrated. Both have lots of culture, good nightlife, and pride. My heart is in both places, and although I love Philly more because it is ME, i cannot deny that Boston is a significantly more beautiful town at present-- it is impeccably clean almost everywhere. Nonetheless I have grown tired of Boston after 6 years and am eager to return to the Philly area in hopefully a year or so.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,496,273 times
Have family in both places. Bottom line - Philly is the northern most city in the sub-tropical climate zone, huge advantage especially in winter. As far as being single, there is more to do in the greater Philly area and it is a slightly larger area at that. Boston has a sophistication not found in Philly but as my brother says, you can't get good pizza up there.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 PM

179 posts, read 1,206,873 times
Oh! No the food in New England is much better! PA is all chains...they do love their WaWas and Steak and Shakes but step out of that and experience the less commercialized dining available in New England.

YES, the winter is much colder here...but it's not really warm in PA either! It does get warm on the Jersey shore a lot earlier than here....

Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 AM

8,975 posts, read 21,064,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
Oh! No the food in New England is much better! PA is all chains...they do love their WaWas and Steak and Shakes but step out of that and experience the less commercialized dining available in New England.

YES, the winter is much colder here...but it's not really warm in PA either! It does get warm on the Jersey shore a lot earlier than here....
Hmmm... well we do love our Wawas although I've never seen a Steak and Shake anywhere in the Philly metro. As it is, Philadelphia is a well-renowned restaurant town. Georges Perrier, Morimoto and Stephen Starr are just a few of the names that have fed refined tastes.

As tourism is big in New England in general, I imagine a lot of restauranteurs have gravitated there to cater to the vacationers. So I could see how the food scene in that region might be better as a whole. But in comparing Boston to Philly, I would predict a dead heat... except that the check down here might be a few bucks less... and the clam chowder might not be as fresh.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 PM

11 posts, read 27,166 times
Boston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia