U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,458 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering purchasing a house in the Morrisville/Yardley area. I know there are some undesirable areas in Morrisville. The house is in the "Yardley Farms" subdivision, between Old Trenton Rd and Big Oak Rd. Any comments on this area?

There is "Valley Day School" in the neighborhood itself, which I think might be a school for troubled kids. Does anyone know if there are problems in the area due to the school?

Also if anyone is familiar with the income tax rules for someone working in NJ and living in PA, please let me know. Will I have to pay twice?

Any other info about the area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

97 posts, read 514,605 times
Do you mean West Trenton Ave?

Check with your real estate agent for the elementary school.

Be sure your house is still zoned for Eleanor Roosevelt. Some of those houses near the Acme were recently rezoned to be bussed down to Fallsington. Some of the sellers there are trying to get out at the higher price.

Why pay Lower Makefield-type prices if you're in Fairless/Levittown type elementary zone? You might as well save a few thousand and just buy a house in Vermillion or Fairless Hills.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,615,672 times
I live in Morrisville, in one of the nicer sections. When we were house hunting, I hadn't considered M'ville because I had only known of the "questionable" areas. But our neighborhood is great. Actually I struggle to keep my yard up with the neighbors!

The school district here, however, is not so good. I think the last time I checked they did okay on No Child Left Behind tests until around 5th grade, then they dropped. I don't plan to have any kids. Most of my neighbors are retired, gay couples, or married couples that have pre-school children (and plan to move in the next few years or send them to Catholic School). The school taxes are high (comparable to what people pay in very good school districts).

I'm not familiar with Yardley Farms, I think this is up near our post office in an area everyone thinks is actually Yardley/Lower Makefield. And I think you may mean West Trenton Ave, not Old Trenton. As far as I know Valley Day is a Special Ed school, and I haven't heard of any complaints.
I think the students aren't really local or walking distance, so it's not like at 3pm your neighborhood will be overrun with uncontrollable kids. They probably get onto buses.

I work in NJ in the suburbs outside of Trenton. I pay NJ state disability tax, but PA income tax. You don't get taxed by both states.
Also, if you work anywhere in the Mercer County area, the commute from Morrisville is much faster than that of most NJ commuters!

My only beef with M'ville (aside from paying school tax) is that there are all these discount cigarette stores, which are filled with NJ smokers daily. I hate being known as the cigarette destination if the Delaware Valley. And there are a few questionable apartment complexes, but oddly these have Falls Township addresses, even though they are completely surrounded by Morrisville. There are like "islands" of Falls in the middle of Morrisville.

But I've been here about 5 years and I'm still happy.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,458 times
Thanks for the information. You are both right, I meant West Trenton Ave.

I checked the schools and it is Pennsbury school district, Eleanor Roosevelt elementary school. And it is in that Fals Twp island right near the post office, so it's kind of close to those apartment complexes. But the neighborhood itself is very nice.

Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,615,672 times
Pennsbury schools are much better. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:56 PM

97 posts, read 514,605 times
Both schools I mentioned (ER and F) would be Pennsbury. Vermillion's school, Village Park, is also Pennsbury.

The difference is that if your home now falls into the F zone, then it's not valued in with same group of houses that are zoned for ER.

I'll give you an example. A 1960-1970's 4/2 house, either split or cape, with middle-of the road maintenance and mid-upgrades would be $280-300k in Lower Makefield (ER). A 50-60's cape, Vermillion, primo upgrades, is $250 or less. It's all about the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia