U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM

515 posts, read 1,533,114 times

Advertisements

I have to vote for Balmer as the city most like Philly. Boston is noticeably different thanks in no small part to its proximity to the People's Republic of Cambridge.

As for Chicago, well, it feels different too. Probably because its crooks are in a different league from those in Philly and Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,395,910 times
Detroit,Camden,Trenton...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,561,872 times
I always thought of it more as Newark + B'more

I never got the Boston comparison outside of the old, classic architecture maybe

Chicago, never been. but, it must have a more midwest vibe, no?

Newark's actually a very attractive city architecturally. and the people are tough there too

Last edited by john_starks; 11-19-2008 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Nice pic starks but clue me in as I'm not big on cities and to me a city is a city...which one is that? Heck it could even be here and I wouldn't know/care

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,561,872 times
lol stuck. believe it or not, that's newark

doesn't look too bad

Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lol stuck. believe it or not, that's newark

doesn't look too bad
From that distance no...

Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,303,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
I always thought of it more as Newark + B'more

I never got the Boston comparison outside of the old, classic architecture maybe
It depends on what you mean. Boston looks a lot like Philly. Aside from the fact that Boston isn't a grid, walking around there feels a lot like walking around here. Specifically, I'm comparing Boston proper to Center City and University City. But then, so does a lot of Baltimore around the inner harbor. Still, Boston is more familiar to me. Baltimore just feels different for some reason.

That's what I mean when comparing cities. I mean, the people in Montreal are nothing like people in Philly. So if you're going by culture there probably aren't many cities that you could reasonably compare.

The transit system in Boston is almost identical to SEPTA. The green line is 5 trolley routes that meet up on the edge of downtown, head underground and run like a subway. Their Red Line is the same as our Blue - the busy route that connects the university with the CBD. Their Blue is the same as our Red - the lightly traveled route that crosses the river into the suburbs. Orange Lines are the same heading into the ethnic enclaves and some rough 'hoods as well. Oh, and they're also famously behind the times when it comes to fare technology.

Quote:
Chicago, never been. but, it must have a more midwest vibe, no?
Chicago doesn't feel very midwestern. It feels like it's somewhere between New York and Philly. My first trip there we took the blue line from O'Hare into the loop. The train runs down the center of the expressway. As soon as it came up out of the cut my jaw hit the floor. We were still a good 6 or 7 miles away and the skyline took up my entire field of vision. It felt like if the Philly skyline stretched from Collingswood to 69th St. But when you're on the ground in Chicago, unless you're near the loop, it doesn't feel that massive. Chicago doesn't have a lot of rowhomes but much of it reminded me of the parts of Philly built after the streetcar - West Philly, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, East Falls. It also has its grit, its run down neighborhoods then it has its hopping, glittering 'hoods as well. The vibe there is what's most recognizable. If it was 300 miles further south it would be my favorite US city, hands down. It's just too friggin' cold there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or