Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:43 PM

19 posts, read 96,590 times

Advertisements

I really get annoyed when they try to tell me it is my civic duty.
When I get that stupit letter I all way put on it I belive in Jury Nullifiaction
That ends it for me works 100 % The court system does not want you to know about
Jury Nullifiaction Google it and find out once they find out that is what you will be doing they want no parts of you
look it up this is the way it supost to be and not some judge telling you what to do
Jury Nullification: History, questions and answers about nullification, links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Or perhaps they just want people that write in a grammatically correct format and that's why they choose not to have you on a jury.......

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Old 06-15-2008, 07:41 PM

43 posts, read 202,457 times
Hello,
I had to serve a month of Grand Jury duty and I lost $900 in wages because my cheap employer wouldn't pay up. But you know what?? I'm glad I was able to do it, it's a very interesting experience. If you have a legitimate excuse, you can get out of jury duty but it really is a good experience and you won't regret serving. Now, I'm in a difference situation and I'd have to claim "hardship" and get excused. Also, most people get summoned and never have to serve.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Stingray, if you or your family are ever victims of a serious crime, or if heaven-forbid, you are ever charged with a serious crime, you might think differently about the value of the trial-by-jury system.

Sabotaging the jury system is treasonous in my book.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
I have lived in Philly for 18 years and been summoned for jury duty maybe 6 or 7 times. I have never been told not to show up the night before. I normally get impaneled twice per one day jury duty but have never been picked to actually be on a jury. Normally I am finished by 3 or 4 PM. Be there early and you have a better chance of getting out early. However my last one was a real nail biter. The judge kept us until 6PM before deciding I wasn't needed. The new Justice Center is much better then when it was at city hall. I can't imagine an employer that doesn't pay you for the day unless you are an independent contractor in your job.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:45 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Just realized this is a Philly thread, and I'm a PENS FAN!!!

But civic duty is civic duty everywhere in the state. I'm self-employed, so it really hits hard. But guess what? Call me a Boy Scout, but it's your duty.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM

19 posts, read 96,590 times
Quote:
Stingray, if you or your family are ever victims of a serious crime, or if heaven-forbid, you are ever charged with a serious crime, you might think differently about the value of the trial-by-jury system.
TracySam
Yes my wife’s aunt was a victim of a serious crime. This past April she lived at K&A all her life was 82 years old. On April 20 this dirt bag that just got out of jail for rape went to her home at 2 am He pulls out an A/c unit that she had in the Kitchen went upstairs and while she was asleep in her bed started beating her on the head with a pipe.
Well they caught the guy the next day. My wife’s aunt died three weeks ago from her injuries Last week they let this scum bag go telling us Now that she died there was no witness so they had to let him go SO don’t tell me about our fine justice system.
It stinks. All we can do is just get pissed I swear if I was not a good Christian I would get a 357 magnum and blow this moron away But That not me I just have to accept it.
So for me to serve on a jury I would convict every time I am that bitter

Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 37,123 times
Default Allow a former prosecutor to chime in on this one.

I am new to the area, but spent ten years as a prosecutor in another state. When I hear people gripe about the jury system, or brag about some stunt used to dodge jury duty, I am dismayed.

This is one of the few countries in the world where you have the right to be judged by a jury of ordinary citizens, rather than a police official, a military officer, or a judge who just happens to be the dictator's brother-in-law. As we walk the streets of Philadelphia, we are treading in the very footsteps of men who risked their lives to bequeath to us this precious right.

I wonder how many of the folks who have posted their open disdain for jury duty are, in other threads, bemoaning the out-of-control crime problem in this city, wishing "someone" would do something about it.

Jury duty is an inconvenience, and it can seem like a waste of time for those who are never seated on the jury itself. However, for the rape victim, the robbery victim, or the parent of a murdered child, it's horrifying to contemplate the prospect of receiving justice from a group of 12 people who simply weren't clever enough to get out of jury duty (as the saying goes).

Sorry for the sermon. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:32 PM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
I was summoned last year. Took the Amtrack to Philly, brought my headphones and a book, listened to what the judge said, watched the little video they showed, but unfortunately was not picked to serve. They let us go at @ 3:30. I was paid my daily wage from my job, plus got reimbursed for my train tickets, and was paid for showing up. I would have loved to be on a jury, but they didn't call me. I cannot understand all the whining people do about being summoned. Go live in a country where they grab you while you sleep. No trials, no rights. This is an honor, not a hardship.

Your job has to pay you for jury duty. If they don't, you need to call..... someone. I've known many, many people who will bang off on a Friday, call in sick when they are not- but will balk at having to serve jury duty. The "missing" income of the day from their fishing trip/beach excursion/long weekend never comes up. But, I've heard the gnashing of their teeth for "missing work" for serving on a jury. Ridiculous. Visit countries in Africa, the Middle East, island nations, where they would sell their souls to be able to participate in this.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I have lived in Philly for 18 years and been summoned for jury duty maybe 6 or 7 times.
6 times? Seems excessive, is that normal in your area? Ive been eligible for jury duty for 20 years and have only received the notice once. Based on the rest of my family that is pretty normal. Someone mentioned the $9 a day pay, they also payed for our gas mileage based on where you lived here and it was before the price went through the roof.

I Ended up serving on one when called. My experience was pretty good but I was in the first group pulled on a Monday morning and picked for a case so I wasn't sitting in a room with a bunch of strangers for a week on hard metal seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia