U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 82,618 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I got a small letter and it is basically:

Jury Service @ Courts.phila.gov
or courts.phila.gov/juryservice.html

What is this thing? Does someone know this?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,910,937 times
As an adult citizen of the United States you are obligated to serve on a jury if you are served. Sounds like you have been served. There are legitimate reasons you can give if you cannot serve and I believe there should be a little survey thing along with your summons that explains those reasons or you can write your own. However, if you can do it, you should. Legally, you must respond to the summons.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 PM

11,655 posts, read 14,702,030 times
It's called civic duty. But if you don't want to serve on a jury, wear a 3 piece suit, act intelligent, read the NY Times, lawyers don't want jurors that can think.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,269 times
The link you provided pretty much explains everything you need to know.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 AM

20 posts, read 43,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yphs_mst View Post
Hi everyone,

I got a small letter and it is basically:

Jury Service @ Courts.phila.gov
or courts.phila.gov/juryservice.html

What is this thing? Does someone know this?

Thank you in advance.
My fiancee received the same card a few weeks ago and had to server last Thursday (6/5) but she lucked out.....she called the # listed the night before and the automated message told her not to report because they had enough people or they didnt have that many cases that day. You might get lucky in that aspect also.....just call the night before....instructions are on the card.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,613,078 times
I really get annoyed by people who complain about jury duty. It seems every discussion of Jury Duty involves getting out of it.
Aside from serving in the military, and voting, it is really one of our most important duties as a citizen.

If you are currently in school, you can always get it delayed until summer. If you work full time, your employer has to allow you the time off, and as far as I know, they have to pay you too. In most jurisdictions you can't be called to jury duty more than once every few years.
Is taking a day off to go to your county seat really that big a deal?
If someone has duties or a condition that make jury duty absolutely impossible, they excuse you.

I can see complaining about being called for Grand Jury service, which can last a month. But most people go for one day, and don't even get chosen. If you do get called in, you will likely be eliminated from the jury pool during the voi dire process (they ask you questions). If you do get chosen, it will very likely be for a one-day trial, civil or criminal. Sure civil cases can be boring, but you might think differently if you ever end up involved in one. And if it's a criminal case, remind yourself that trial by jury is a right we enjoy in our country that others around the world aren't always so fortunate to have. And hey, if it ends up being a long highly publicized criminal trial, you might end up with a lucrative book deal in the end!

Also, when you hear on the news about a nasty criminal who got off, or a person you think is innocent getting found guilty, don't you wish that more intelligent and reasonable people like yourself would serve on juries and not spend so much energy trying to get out of it?

So take the day off, take a book, take it seriously, and do your duty. You'll find that it's not as painful as it's made out to be.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 PM

56 posts, read 208,231 times
Default Seriously?

You don't know what jury duty is?
I'm not trying to be rude...... but how can someone not know what jury duty is?

I was called as a college student home for the summer. (YRS ago) lol I fully intended to show up (since I HAD to) and say the "right thing" to make sure I would be excused. But after being there and answering questions ect & I began to really respect our system & took take it very seriously & wanted to do my civic duty. I felt very proud to be an American.... something I hadn't really ever given much thought to. I was picked & sat through a trial. It was interesting & I performed my duty & learned alot about our system. I walked away with a whole new out look.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 PM

20 posts, read 43,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If you are currently in school, you can always get it delayed until summer. If you work full time, your employer has to allow you the time off, and as far as I know, they have to pay you too. In most jurisdictions you can't be called to jury duty more than once every few years.
Is taking a day off to go to your county seat really that big a deal?
If someone has duties or a condition that make jury duty absolutely impossible, they excuse you.
In all actuality your employer wont pay you....and the city gives you a nice fat 9$ check for your troubles of sitting around all day doing nothing. If I want to read a book ill do it on my own time. I could see if they paid you more then a few bucks.....it would cost me that much to take the train into the city....You cant drive down there and park....youd be paying mucho dinero so you have to endure public transportation at the buttcrack of dawn with all the other lemmings.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,498,995 times
Belp!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,755,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I really get annoyed by people who complain about jury duty. It seems every discussion of Jury Duty involves getting out of it. Aside from serving in the military, and voting, it is really one of our most important duties as a citizen.
I agree completely. Yes, jury service can be a pain in the neck. But it really is the foundation of our country's legal system. When disputes cannot be resolved between the parties, via settlement or a plea bargain, our country ultimately relies on 12 of its citizens -- not judges or lawyers or politicians -- to resolve the dispute. This is a luxury that many contries cannot boast of. It may take time out of your week. It may result in you missing work and losing some pay. But it is a small price to pay for helping to uphold our democracy. And make no mistake about it--that is precisely what you are doing when you serve on a jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia