U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM

23 posts, read 88,116 times

Advertisements

Any input would be appreciated. We're trying to decide between the two.

Collingswood: easy to get to center city, nice downtown BUT schools are so-so and borders Camden.

Elkins Park: gorgeous houses, better schools, near Jenkintown BUT not as easy to drive to center city and doesn't have its own downtown area (that I know of!)

We have a 2 year old so schools are important. Looking for 3+ bedroom, 2 bath house in 300 - 350k range.

I'd love some input. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:13 PM

3,299 posts, read 10,755,198 times
I grew up near Elkins Park and love it up there. Yes, true, it technically doesn't have a downtown of it's own, but I always thought of it as joining up with Jenkintown or Glenside (we're only talking 5 minutes here). Also, Chestnut Hill is pretty close (15-20 minutes), which is an adorable area.

Yes, driving to Center City sucks a little, especially during rush hour, but it's not really that bad. Outside of rush hour (say, going out to lunch or dinner) I've done it in 30 minutes. The good part is that if one road is backed up, you have other ways to go, which helps the traffic situation (as opposed to being right by a highway, but if it's busy you're stuck using it since it's the only option). Also, there's a lot of train service in the area, which is another option.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM

690 posts, read 2,770,010 times
I wouldn't worry about Collingswood being too close to Camden. Route 130 acts a great buffer zone and the city is pretty much contained in its own world with little spillover. While Collingswood schools aren't the best - I hear they are getting better every year. Also remember there is a train station in downtown Collingswood which gets u into center city in only 15min.

If you are really dead-set on good schools, there are a few towns close to Collingswood which have better schools, very easy drive to Philly, and homes in ur price range. Research Haddon Heights, Audubon, and Westmont (Haddon Twp). All 3 have downtowns with Westmont have a train station as well.

good luck in ur decision.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks JerzBoy- I'll check out those 3 suggestions. The schools are biggest concern. We hate leaving Philly but safety and the schools are making us do it. We're both very comfortable with Collingswood - only concern is the middle and high school. Of course- our daughter is only 2 now! But I want to move once and not have to move in 10 years because of the schools.

Anyway- thanks!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 AM

160 posts, read 740,708 times
I went to Cheltenham HS which is in Elkins Park and I loved it. A lot of the homes are really nice, and I commuted to the city for school every day. I think I made it to CC in about 25 min, less without traffic and I usually traveled very very early AM so it wasn't bad at all. In EP you are also 5min from 309 so the turnpike is accessible as well as 15-20min from willow grove mall which is convenient. I live in chestnut hill now but look forward to moving back to Elkins Park in a few years. AS for Collingswood, my husband is from audubon which is one town over with nice homes and good schools. The location to CC is about 10minutes, and access to shops, restaurants,etc is also very easy from Audubon.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 PM

40 posts, read 206,362 times
I would definitely consider Haddon Heights and Haddonfield....both have GREAT schools and an easy drive into Center City. Also, you can just take the PATCO in b/c Haddonfield has a station....it's quicker and easier and cheaper than driving in...and you can drink your coffee and read the paper while doing so!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback!!! We're looking tonight in Haddon Township. I think Haddonfield is out of our price range but will check Haddon Heights.

So glad to have personal input about Cheltenham Schools- did you go to elementary and middle school there as well? If so, where?

I'm leaning towards Elkins Park this morning- I'm a PA girl at heart. Don't know why it's such a big mental hurdle for me to actually move to NJ.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 PM

980 posts, read 2,478,288 times
I've noticed that the property taxes in Elkins Park as high as NJ, so if you are okay with high property taxes, I would definitely suggest Haddon Heights, NJ if you like a charming town with a lot of character and good schools. Very nice, safe, attractive middle/upper middle class area with easy and quick access to Philadelphia via PATCO high speedline. This is especially nice considering what is happening with gasoline. The less you have to drive, the better. I just love Haddon Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia