U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:56 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,539,510 times

Advertisements

recently i was following the case of Americas unknown child who was find murdered in a box in the Fox Chase area in 1957. my question is where is Fox Chase? i am from indiana and dont have the slightest bit of clue where Fox Chase is.

2nd question. i have been listening to the news and reading reports that shows the "southside" if one of the worst areas to live on the East Coast and i was wondering where does the "southside" start does it encompass downtown?

3rd. How is the traffic in Philadelphia? is it bad all around or only in certain parts?

4th.How long does it take to get from Philadelphia International Airport to US 1 and Woodhaven Road?

any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM

3,299 posts, read 10,754,492 times
Question #1 - Basically it is an area near the suburb of Rockledge and the lower NE part of the city. Also, a small area of Jenkintown near there (i.e. Fox Chase Road & Cedar Road, near Hollywood) can be referred to as Fox Chase

#2 - I'm not really sure what "southside" refers to.

#3 - Now that I'm used to DC traffic, Philly's not bad at all, but I'm a little jaded. Rush hour can be bad, depending on where you're going, but outside of that it's usually fine.

#4 - 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic

Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,613,078 times
1. You mean the "Boy in the box" case. I live in the suburbs, but worked in Philly for over 10 years, and the boy is still a legend and unsolved mystery. Fox Chase is a section of Northeast Philly, most of it is in a park-like area, and it borders in Montgomery County. In the 90's a had a few friends who lived there, and it was one of the few safer areas where a young woman could live alone and feel pretty secure (though crime can happen anywhere, especially in Philly!).
2. There is South Philly and Southwest Philly. South Philly was historically Italian and family-oriented (think Rocky) but since I guess the 80's it is increasingly "questionable." There are still sections of old-timers, and it's pretty safe where they all look out for each other. Some are very safe because they "know some people" (think Sopranos). People still go down there for special restaurants, cheese steak places, water ice, and genuine Italian foods. It's also where the sports arenas are. It seems that everyone down there double-parks. Like they actually park in the "driving" part of the street, next to the cars parked at the curb. And somehow the police just go right on by. Guess they are working on those 400 murders....
Southwest Philly, I have not been through in many years. I would guess that is the bad area you heard about. Though when it comes to Philadelphia, North Philly tends to earn the worst reputation.
3. Depends where you live. If you are west of the city and go into town via the Schuykill Expressway, you are better off just moving or jumping in the river.
If you go to center city from north of the city, via I-95, you will be bumper to bumper in the AM. Route One / Roosevelt Blvd. is a million lights, a million shopping centers, and pedestrians get killed all the time. Most of the area of South Jersey near Philly is terrible during the AM and PM rush. Bucks County PA, northeast of the city, is getting more and more congested. I commute in the opposite direction of almost everyone else, so my own commute is great!
4. About 30-40 minutes, UNLESS (and that's a big unless) there is some sports event, in which case, getting past the stadium area could take forever.
Hope that helps!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 PM

yeah i am following the boy in the box mystery i find it to be very interesting and sad. Thanks for your information

Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Everyone has a "theory" about who he was and what happened to him. The most interesting story was done by the CBS TV show "Cold Case." It was fiction of course, but they really tried to tie up all the loose ends. It was as good an explanation as any I've heard.

I was a therapist in Philly, and had more than one client over the years who had delusions that they were either the boy's murderer or somehow related to him. The story is part of the folklore around there. People still light candles for him and pray for him in Northeast Philly churches.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 PM

20 posts, read 43,420 times
Default Box in the box

Was that in Fox Chase or Parkwood?

Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Definitely Fox Chase. Here's the website dedicated to the case:
America's Unknown Child (the Boy in the Box mystery)

Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM

266 posts, read 1,121,339 times
Southside? Never heard of that part of Philly.
There is a Southside in Boston, Land of the Irish Mafia.
Maybe that's where you're refering to.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Southside? Never heard of that part of Philly.
There is a Southside in Boston, Land of the Irish Mafia.
Maybe that's where you're refering to.
I am talking about Philadelphia not BOSTON

Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM

I think Soju just means that no one calls any part of Philly "southside."

It's either South Philly or Southwest Philly.

The only cities I've heard of that call a section "southside" are Boston and Chicago. And Chicago's southside I only know of from the song Leroy Brown! Wait, doesn't Boston call theirs "Southy"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia