Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,602 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 yo student moving from the West coast to Philly in July. I'll be attending Drexel University's Center City campus.

Growing up in Phoenix, I've never been to a large East coast city. I'm used to the urban sprawl of PHX, LA, San Diego, etc, so I'm a bit lost on where to look. I've been told areas around Temple are pretty scary, and to stay out of North/South/West Philly (not sure where these divisions start). Since I'll be at the Center City campus (15th St and Race) and I likely won't be bringing my car, I'd like to live within 0-2 miles from school

I've been looking at several different condo/apartment buildings, but I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing perusing Craigslist from across the country. Ideally, I'll be spending >$1000/month including utilities, if possible. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for buildings or areas with decently priced apartments for rent within Center City? I've been looking at the Parkway Condos at 2601 Pennsylvania Ave, any thoughts on the building/area?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
If you can fit it into your budget, center city. I'd say those geographic boundaries (north,west, etc) are too broad to be meaningful. If CC isn't in your budget, spring garden is an easy walk from the north. I'd recommended being flexible on space and renting near your school.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:11 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAwildcat View Post
I've been told areas around Temple are pretty scary
It is no worse than Tucson.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:45 PM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
If you can find a place in center city that would probably be ideal. For $1k per month, however, you will probably need to look at having roommates or studios. Unlike the western states there aren't many huge apartment complexes in Philadelphia. I understand why you are gravitating towards that type of building but you will almost certainly end up overpaying. There are many other great areas to live as well.

The Passyunk Square and and East Passyunk Crossing neighborhoods in South Philly are nice, safe, and have quite a bit of night life and will have places in your price range. You wont need a car and can take the subway or a bus to class. I live in a 1 bedroom in Passyunk Square with my fiance and we pay only $650 per month in rent.

You should also look in West Philly as well, especially around 48th and Baltimore. The area is very pretty and you can take the trolley to class.

Other areas to check out are: Art Museum/Southwest Center City/Northern Liberties/Fishtown. If living outside of Center City I would try to live within easy walking distance of one of the subway/El lines.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 74,893 times
I am also a graduate student at Drexel University. I moved to Drexel from suburban , VA, so I had many similar fears and questions when I started my moving quest.

I found housing at University Crossings (located at 32nd and Market) right on Drexel's campus. It is not a campus owned building, however. The building has two and three bedroom apartments, and the rents is fairly cheap (I pay $520/mo. for my half in a two bedroom). It is literally across the street from the University buildings, 2 blocks away from 30th Street Train Station, and 2 blocks from the downtown area. I think it is the perfect place for graduate students to live... and since it's on campus, it is pretty safe! I think that is your best bet!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
It is no worse than Tucson.
Yes, yes it is ..... and i'm no tucson fan boy.... although UA is considered to be a bad neighborhood, you really can't compare bad neighborhoods here in AZ to those in Philly

As for where to settle, most of the city core will be fine, public transportation is really good and the city is very pedestrian friendly

When I lived there the car share program wasn't up and running and some of the more urban markets weren't really up and going .... but my roomates had their cars so we could make the run to pathmark or super fresh for our groceries without much issue .... most things are pretty convenient though

congrats & best of luck

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahT View Post
I am also a graduate student at Drexel University. I moved to Drexel from suburban , VA, so I had many similar fears and questions when I started my moving quest.

I found housing at University Crossings (located at 32nd and Market) right on Drexel's campus. It is not a campus owned building, however. The building has two and three bedroom apartments, and the rents is fairly cheap (I pay $520/mo. for my half in a two bedroom). It is literally across the street from the University buildings, 2 blocks away from 30th Street Train Station, and 2 blocks from the downtown area. I think it is the perfect place for graduate students to live... and since it's on campus, it is pretty safe! I think that is your best bet!
Important to note that it's right next to the main campus - not the campus where the OP is attending

Still not a bad location, but will probably require a transit pass and a little time to have the freedom to and from campus

Old 06-25-2011, 07:46 PM

148 posts, read 411,872 times
I'm also a grad student from the West Coast. I live in West Philly (closer to City Ave). Philly is way nicer than Phoenix! I don't have a car and I get around just fine. I would recommend living in University City, Powelton Village, or West Powelton. Since you are new to Philly, make sure you stick to the area south of Spring Garden St. and east of 40th St. I don't know what average rents are in Center City, but some of the housing can be pricey.

Since you probably won't have a car, I'd highly recommend that you live within a few blocks of the Market-Frankford Line (aka the El). Stations close to the Drexel Campuses are at 34th, 30th, and 15th Sts. Just be aware that there are no stops between 30th St. (30th Street Station) and 15th St. (City Hall). There's plenty of bus service in Center City and University City, but the El is much faster than any buses that run on Market, Chestnut, or Walnut Sts. (e.g., 21, 31). Go to SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority for more details about mass transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAwildcat View Post
I'm a 22 yo student moving from the West coast to Philly in July. I'll be attending Drexel University's Center City campus.

Growing up in Phoenix, I've never been to a large East coast city. I'm used to the urban sprawl of PHX, LA, San Diego, etc, so I'm a bit lost on where to look. I've been told areas around Temple are pretty scary, and to stay out of North/South/West Philly (not sure where these divisions start). Since I'll be at the Center City campus (15th St and Race) and I likely won't be bringing my car, I'd like to live within 0-2 miles from school

I've been looking at several different condo/apartment buildings, but I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing perusing Craigslist from across the country. Ideally, I'll be spending >$1000/month including utilities, if possible. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for buildings or areas with decently priced apartments for rent within Center City? I've been looking at the Parkway Condos at 2601 Pennsylvania Ave, any thoughts on the building/area?

Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia