U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:32 PM

15 posts, read 130,534 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am hoping to move to Philly later this summer once I finish my graduate program in Miami. I am interested in people's recommendations for interesting, urban, cultural, non-"collegey" areas of the city to live in. So far, I've heard that Northern Liberties, Center City, and Manayunk tend to be popular with young urbanites. I've also heard a little about Bella Vista and Queen Village.
I am looking for a place with a neighborhood feel where one may walk to various shops, bars, markets, etc., but that's not too loud--perhaps a fun area with quieter side streets. Safety is another concern, as well as proximity to bus and subway lines.
I am trying to escape superficial Miami (although I love the weather and water--it's the city itself that I find lacking) where one might be able to meet other smart, interesting people.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
I would say center city (Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square West and Society Hill) Queen Village and Bella Vista would have the best proximity to public transportations and would be areas that would suit your desires.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
i agree with all the areas mentioned. although i find manayunk too be a bit too post college-y for my tastes. it has that mature "frat boy" vibe in the air..

Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 AM

23 posts, read 88,099 times
I would highly recommend Queen Village. My husband and I moved here as newlyweds in 2001. It's a very nice residential neighborhood with it's own great restaurants and bars and is a short walk to south street. We have been VERY happy here and are reluctant to leave. But it's time to buy a house and it's an expensive neighborhood to buy in even in this market. Only leaving now so our 2 year old can have a yard and better schools.

My husband lived in Society Hill for many years before we got married and love that too. Still would choose Queen Village- younger residents. A lot of young professionals and families. A little hipper

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsasmom View Post
I would highly recommend Queen Village. My husband and I moved here as newlyweds in 2001. It's a very nice residential neighborhood with it's own great restaurants and bars and is a short walk to south street. We have been VERY happy here and are reluctant to leave. But it's time to buy a house and it's an expensive neighborhood to buy in even in this market. Only leaving now so our 2 year old can have a yard and better schools.

My husband lived in Society Hill for many years before we got married and love that too. Still would choose Queen Village- younger residents. A lot of young professionals and families. A little hipper

Good luck!
out of curiosity, where did you move to/where are you moving to?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:25 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
out of curiosity, where did you move to/where are you moving to?
See the "Elkins Park vs. Collingswood, NJ" thread.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Any of the Center City neighborhoods would be good for you but especially Old City (19106) and Wash West. (19107)

Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 PM

15 posts, read 130,534 times
Thank you so much to all who replied! I am really excited to move, and the city sounds like it has a lot to offer.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 22,823 times
If I was going to move back into the city, I would pick the Art Musuem area. It's beautiful and has a lot of restaurants and other nightlife.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 AM

23 posts, read 60,540 times
I lived in Old City, north of the BF bridge so it is a 'quiet pocket' of the city. Yet it is close to 2nd st and Northern Liberties for great bars and restaurants. There is a 'young hip feel' to the area and it's not packed with high-rises buildings. There has been a recent zoning change to limit heght over 6(?) stories..or something like that.
I now live in the Miami area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or