U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:56 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,434,405 times

Advertisements

Got a great suggestion for an Italian market: Sam's Italian Market in Willow Grove. It's not far from Ambler, if that is the area you settle in. We now live at the Jersey Shore, and when we visit friends in the area, we stop at Sam's Market and STOCK UP! It is a third generation family owned market, and the first generation really is from Italy.

They bake their own bread there (nice crusty European bread with some tooth to it), as well as tomato pie, homemade ravioli, sauce and meatballs. Lots of Italian imports (I get my espresso there). Oh and the olive oils... Just walk in there and breeeeeeeeathe ~ the smell is fantastic!!

We were in Rome in fall of '05, and had a great time in the markets and shops. There was more than one occasion when my DH and I remarked "Smells just like 'Sam's!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
Default Some great places a family

I grew up in Flourtown, now live in Washington, DC, but still have family back home...looking at the area from a distance now, I think you are headed to a great place to live!

For public schools, I suggest Upper Dublin School district and the Springfield school district. There are many good catholic parish primary schools in and around the areas close to Ambler - Ambler Catholic, St. Genevieve in Flourtown, as well as private catholic primary schools - Gwynned Mercy (run by the Sisters of Mercy) and Norwood Academy (run by the Sisters of St. Joseph). As for high schools (grade 9-12, ages 14-18), the co-educational schools like Bishop McDevitt are very good. There are several private high schools, most are boys or girls-only: Gwynned Mercy is all-girls in high school, Mt. St. Joseph Academy in Flourtown is all-girls; LaSalle High School, all-boys and run by the de LaSalle Christian Brothers is nearby, and some students travel into the city for an all-boys Jesuit high school, St. Joseph's Prep.

My recommended towns: another posting mentioned Ambler, yes! It is growing and changing in a great way. It has a cute downtown with shops, restaurants and a small theater! Flourtown and nearby Erdenheim are great places for families, with lots of neighborhoods with children. A good public elementary and catholic school, a farmers market, playing fields, two swim clubs, a nine-hole golf course, a state park, and a nice park with a pond where they have community events in the summer. There is a Starbucks, too! You are close to the Philadelphia neighborhood of Chestnut Hill that has a main street with shops (cheese shop, bakeries, clothing stores, restaurants, florists, farmers market)

Best of luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or