Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 06:33 AM

12 posts, read 52,692 times

Advertisements

Greetings--

I may be moving to Philadelphia in a week or so. I have been reading these forums a fair amount over the past few weeks. Thank you so much for a wealth of incredibly helpful information!

I would very much appreciate your advice regarding finding an apartment. I am a 22-year-old recent college graduate who will be working pretty long hours (8:00 AM - 11:00 PM). I'm not sure the exact location of the office yet. Between work and play, I don't expect I'd spend much time in an apartment.

--I am not looking for anything fancy--indoor pools, rooftop views, state-of-the-art appliances, glamorous lobbies, etc.

--I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for a neat, clean apartment in a neighborhood where I can come home late at night and be safe.

--Access to public transportation is critical since I do not plan to have a car. I'm very comfortable on the train/bus, but I would not want to walk a long way due to safety concerns when coming home late.

--Ideally, I'd like to be in a happening urban neighborhood with other young singles, an active nightlife, and some place to get food (at least a convenience store).

--My first choice would be a high-rise, but I would be open to other buildings as well.

I have never been to Philly (except for transferring at the airport), so I'd very much appreciate any help with regard to neighborhoods or even specific buildings.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM

8,968 posts, read 21,051,977 times
Wow, a 15-hour workday sounds intense, to say the least. Hopefully you will at least have a compressed workweek.

It would be difficult to give you specific advice without knowing where your office is. This can be an especially critical factor if you're working out in the 'burbs and want to live in the city as the commuter rail system shuts down around 11:00pm-midnight during the week.

Of the various neighborhoods in Center City (aka downtown), Old City is the "hot spot" for 20-somethings these days. Most of the trendiest bars and clubs will be found here. The art galleries in the neighborhood add to the vibe as well. You'll be walking distance from various buses as well as the Market-Frankford Blue Line which will take you to the Regional Rail commuter trains. Other nearby Center City options include Northern Liberties (uber-hip, semi-gentrified, slightly less expensive/convenient), Washington Square West (the "Gayborhood" but everyone is welcome), Rittenhouse Square (great mini-park of same name but uber-expensive), and the Art Museum area (museums, close to huge Fairmount Park). Center City is a two square-mile area, so really there is no truly inconvenient neighorhood to live in there.

I admit to being a bit out of the loop on rental rates, but I'd guesstimate that an "okay" 1B in Center City would run around $900. I'm sure that there are many in the four-figure range. You'll see a lot of three or four-story rowhomes converted into apartments; those tend to be a better deal price-wise than high-rises.

Again, once you know whether you're working in Center City or elsewhere, it will be easier to give more specific advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpurnia33 View Post
Greetings--

I may be moving to Philadelphia in a week or so. I have been reading these forums a fair amount over the past few weeks. Thank you so much for a wealth of incredibly helpful information!

I would very much appreciate your advice regarding finding an apartment. I am a 22-year-old recent college graduate who will be working pretty long hours (8:00 AM - 11:00 PM). I'm not sure the exact location of the office yet. Between work and play, I don't expect I'd spend much time in an apartment.

--I am not looking for anything fancy--indoor pools, rooftop views, state-of-the-art appliances, glamorous lobbies, etc.

--I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for a neat, clean apartment in a neighborhood where I can come home late at night and be safe.

--Access to public transportation is critical since I do not plan to have a car. I'm very comfortable on the train/bus, but I would not want to walk a long way due to safety concerns when coming home late.

--Ideally, I'd like to be in a happening urban neighborhood with other young singles, an active nightlife, and some place to get food (at least a convenience store).

--My first choice would be a high-rise, but I would be open to other buildings as well.

I have never been to Philly (except for transferring at the airport), so I'd very much appreciate any help with regard to neighborhoods or even specific buildings.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-16-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 83,235 times
Hey there,
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Live in Bucks County outside of Philly. All my life I've been here. Things have changed alot in the past 50 or so years.. I would stay away from west philly. Manyunk seems to be safe. Northeast is best. Center city is exciting and bustling but crime is common, not just there but everywhere..Philly has a reputation of the worst, next to Camden NJ. I do go into the city often but would not live there...you'd be safer if you lived in the suburbs. If you are single, be careful. Nowhere is really "safe". Remember you will be in a city. A very large diverse city. And on top of that fact, you will be unfamiliar with it. Lots to get used to. It would be helpful for you to have a roommate. This is just my opinion.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,559,896 times
It is virtually impossible to answer your question without knowing where your office is and also what you are able to afford in rent. What's high to one person is reasonable to another, so a $ amount is needed.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 52,692 times
Thanks for the responses! I'm virtually sure that I'd be working in the downtown area. I'd be there with a campaign, so that's the reason for the long hours.

In terms of rent, I'd rather not go over $1,000 but would if that was the only way to get a decent, safe place...

Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 PM

8,968 posts, read 21,051,977 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses! I'm virtually sure that I'd be working in the downtown area. I'd be there with a campaign, so that's the reason for the long hours.

In terms of rent, I'd rather not go over $1,000 but would if that was the only way to get a decent, safe place...
Great! In that case, most everything I said before applies.

While each person has a different comfort zone, if you're used to urban living, then Center City in general won't intimidate you. I have been schooled to the fact that ladies may feel somewhat more vulnerable than guys but once you learn the lay of the land, your street wisdom and common sense should allow you to avoid uncomfortable situations.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,559,896 times
Quote:

Working in center city will make it a lot easier. You will not need a car, you can walk everywhere (center city is very walkable) or take a bus. I suggest you look in the Art Museum area, the Rittenhouse Square area, Washington Square West or Society Hill, right in center city. Or, a bit further to the south (but still very close and convenient), Queen Village or Bella Vista. Look on Craigslist you should be able to get something quite decent in your price range.

You say you will be here with a campaign? I'm curious, who's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia