Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 PM

39 posts, read 144,742 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm really torn and dont know what to do. Before I started having a wahm job, I applied for a job in Philadelphia, 3,000 miles away from where I'm living right now.

Well, I got the job, but I'm torn about what to do. The job itself is perfect, but the crime rates in the city of Philadelphia where I would need to live really scare me, and I would be working with a lot of juvenile offenders. I would like the job but not the place where I would be living. The pay is decent, but it is an expensive city.

I live in California which is expensive as well, and right now I depend on talk times and such and money is not enough. I like the flexibility of working from home, take a day off when you want or need to. Everytime I have been an employee for some reason it never works out. A lot of politics and I have been laid off just because some people have not liked me. I'm not sure if this one would work out or not.

On the other hand I'm exhausted of depending on talk time and money is not enough right now. For the record, I am single and don't have any kids. Any thoughts that my help me decide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM

39 posts, read 141,590 times
Exclamation move else where

Juvenile offenders in Philadelphia are as lethal as the adult offenders there is no saving some of the sum kids of this city. Its not only in this city it’s the surrounding areas also. Their parents are criminals they are as well. Stay in your nice life in California or move else where. I was enticed in to this city eleven year ago with the state deportment of agriculture. I will be moving back home by April.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 22,622 times
Congratulations on the job offer!!!
I don't blame you for not wanting to live in Philly. If the City of Philadelphia is your employer (you didn't say) you need to be aware of the tax that non resident city employees pay for living outside of the city limits. If you're willing to pay the tax you can live in near by New Jersey or Delaware.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback. One another forum they attacked me for putting Philadelphia now and "trashing their city". The information I have is from phillyblog people describing things that go on and the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The job IS with the city, and they told me several times that I will be required to live in the city after 6 months training period, though I'm not keen of going for a while and live elsewhere and then have to move again. They really stressed that I need to live in the city.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 22,622 times
Thumbs up Don't Settle

That's a shame. The wage tax is a real sticking point for folks that work for the city.

There's a job waiting just for you. Just because this one sounds "right" but has some pieces that make you uncomfortable, then it isn't the "right" job. Don't settle.

I don't know how long you've been looking but if you're not totally happy about anthing that you have a choice about, why make that decision.

Good Luck !!!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM

39 posts, read 141,590 times
Default look into Pittsburg

Save your self look into Pittsburg
Your a young female looking to move into Philadelphia alone to work with the trash juvenile criminals WHY????

Last edited by PhilaForNow; 01-11-2007 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-11-2007, 05:41 PM

7,245 posts, read 10,480,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd7788 View Post
Any thoughts that my help me decide?
I'd just like to say that crime statistics can be misleading. Sure there are areas of Philly where it's not very safe, but it's honestly important to get a first-hand perspective of somewhere that you'd potentially live before comepletely writing it off. There are some really nice, upscale neighborhoods, too, and the city is continually being gentrified. With regard to the cost of living, coming from California, it's more than likely going to be at least a little cheaper. In fact, that is a major factor for why many people chose to move to Philly over many other major cities, especially in the Northeast. At any rate, good luck with your decision.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Quote:
Hi there! I'm really torn and dont know what to do. Before I started having a wahm job, I applied for a job in Philadelphia, 3,000 miles away from where I'm living right now.

Well, I got the job, but I'm torn about what to do. The job itself is perfect, but the crime rates in the city of Philadelphia where I would need to live really scare me, and I would be working with a lot of juvenile offenders. I would like the job but not the place where I would be living. The pay is decent, but it is an expensive city.
I'm pro center city/university city and the non ghetto sections of Philadelphia but I would not move here from California to work with juvenile delinquents.Center City is a great atmosphere if you work fro Comcast,hospitals,universities, law or ad firms etc., but you don't want any parts of our juvenile delinquents.

But please don't think you can't live in Philadelphia. There are some of the most incredible neighborhoods you will ever come across if you have $1000 on up to pay rent for a 1 bedroom.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Thanks again for the responses. The job is as an interpreter for Juvenile court. I don't know if that would put me more at risk or not. I'm actually very petite and don't know if being in that environment might give someone "ideas".

I went to school for interpreting and I'm very good at it, but there is no chance to practice in California. Of course, I suppose I could work doing something else.

The limit of what I could pay is $1,000.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Quote:
Thanks again for the responses. The job is as an interpreter for Juvenile court. I don't know if that would put me more at risk or not. I'm actually very petite and don't know if being in that environment might give someone "ideas".

I went to school for interpreting and I'm very good at it, but there is no chance to practice in California. Of course, I suppose I could work doing something else.

The limit of what I could pay is $1,000.
Actually you could find a 1 bedroom in fabulous center city for as little as $800. If you can afford $800 plus for rent you could have a great Philadlephia experience.The only place on the west coast that could compare to center City Philly is probably San Francisco.

Now if your budget is less than $800 then this isn't the place you want to be.

Juvenile Interpreter as in Spanish?

The main Juvenile Court is along the beautiful and very safe Ben Franklin Parkway

Do you know where this job is to be located?

I must say in all of my years living in this area I have never heard of any social workers having any problems at all with juveniles. Just about all the crime in Philly is in certain inner city hoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia