U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 AM

137 posts, read 934,900 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Philly and I'm a teacher. Because of certification issues I would need to work in South Jersey. I teach English Language Learners so I would need a school district with a lot of immigrants. What towns/school districts close to Philly have large immigrant populations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 04:21 PM

468 posts, read 2,167,685 times
Well, are you looking for "diverse" places or are you looking for places w/ lots of immigrants? The two questions would get you pretty different answers because most people in South Jersey are black or white, so diversity to most folks means "racially integrated," not "full of immigrants."

Off the top of my head,
- Camden is a very poor city has a lot of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. The rest of the city is African American.
- Trenton has a good mix of Latin Americans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, African Americans, West Indians, and Italian Americans.
- Riverside is a small town that has a large Brazilian and Portuguese population.

All three are on the river across from Philadelphia, but Trenton is a little further up the river and is considered to be more "Central Jersey." Camden would be the easiest commute.

If you're looking for Asian immigrants, they mostly settle in more affluent suburban communities like Cherry Hill.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 PM

137 posts, read 934,900 times
I mean places with lots of immigrants. Thanks for the input. Anybody else?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,039,954 times
Cherry Hill also has a decent number of Russian-speaking people.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,061,428 times
You can live in Cherry Hill and Commute to a Camden School, 5 min. commute.

You can also recreate the "Dangerous Minds" movie while you're at it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or