U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 58,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i wouldnt say it is a great place because the so called multiculturalist cult really has worked to divide people by race and ethnicity creates great racial and economic schisms in this City.

Its a sad scene to see in a so called democrat run city that ghettos still abound, and racism is in full effect--i thought dems are open minded--NOT!!

Elkins Park is a good Jewish neighborhood outside the city.
maybe you were there on a bad day...but my experience is that it is a friendly city. ghettos are in all cities. But in the general center city area, people of all races come together in the center city social scene. I do agree there are some problems as there would be in any city or town. but basically is a nice city, large enough to have alot to do, alot of museums, history, etc. Its easier to get around than larger cities like new york.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 05:55 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
nsm-i live here what are you talking about? here on a bad day? I live in CC Philadelphia

Old 02-18-2007, 07:54 PM

24 posts, read 145,497 times
Elkins Park, Cheltenham, Wynnewood, Jenkintown, Abington - along the 611 corridor from Church Rd north to Abington Hospital.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
The Somerton neighborhood in the far northeastern corner of Philadelphia is a very large Jewish neighborhood in any way one can imagine. The public library contain Jewish books, the shopping plazas are decorated with Stars of David ahead of Chanukah, and the giant Shoprite Supermarket sell lots of Made in Israel products... In some streets almost every second home is of Jewish Household whether Jewish-American, Russian speaking Jewish immigrants, or Israeli immigrants...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phase4 View Post
Elkins Park, Cheltenham, Wynnewood, Jenkintown, Abington - along the 611 corridor from Church Rd north to Abington Hospital.
These are the traditional Jewish areas but including all of Lower Merion, much of Huntington Valley and of course Cherry Hill. Somewhat newer, the Russian colony in the far Northeast west of Rt 1 is heavily Jewish. The Kosher dept in the Shoprite there is the largest I have ever seen. Also the hi-rise condos of the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood are majority Jewish. There is a pattern here. Excluding the Russians, Jewish people seem to favor the fanciest neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
These are the traditional Jewish areas but including all of Lower Merion, much of Huntington Valley and of course Cherry Hill. Somewhat newer, the Russian colony in the far Northeast west of Rt 1 is heavily Jewish. The Kosher dept in the Shoprite there is the largest I have ever seen. Also the hi-rise condos of the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood are majority Jewish. There is a pattern here. Excluding the Russians, Jewish people seem to favor the fanciest neighborhoods.
I don't know if I'd call some of the NE Philly neighborhoods popular with Jewish people as "fancy" but they do tend to be solid middle/upper-middle class areas.

Also, we want to be careful not to put one group of people into the same socioeconomic box.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:11 AM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Yes and no. The Western Main Line is fairly sparse in Jewish population, as are the affluent portions of outer Delware/Chester Counties.

Put another way, while many though certainly not all heavily Jewish greater Philadelphia enclaves are on the fancier side, a neighborhood's Jewish presence only correlates rather loosely to its income levels. I ran a regression on it once, and I think the R-squared value of estimated Jewish population vs. median household income only came out to about 0.2.

You are right, however, that the Far Northeast is home to the last great, remaining concentration of working/lower middle class Jews, though as Tone pointed out, many of them are solidly middle class (and even upper middle) as well.

Besides the Far Northeast, Center City, the Eastern Main Line (Lower Merion/Narberth), Lower Old York Road (Cheltenham/Abington/Jenkintown/Lower Moreland), and Cherry Hill/Voorhees are the current "cores" of greater Philadelphia Jewry, though plenty of other areas (Northampton, Upper Dublin, Swarthmore, among many others) have fairly high populations as well.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-12-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM

I agree with this more or less. I guess Tone missed my exclusion of the Russians from this group. Just one point about Household income. Some people don't earn their money, they just have it. Also self employed people sometimes shield their income or assets from view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Yes and no. The Western Main Line is fairly sparse in Jewish population, as are the affluent portions of outer Delware/Chester Counties.

Put another way, while many though certainly not all heavily Jewish greater Philadelphia enclaves are on the fancier side, a neighborhood's Jewish presence only correlates rather loosely to its income levels. I ran a regression on it once, and I think the R-squared value of estimated Jewish population vs. median household income only came out to about 0.2.

You are right, however, that the Far Northeast is home to the last great, remaining concentration of working/lower middle class Jews, though as Tone pointed out, many of them are solidly middle class (and even upper middle) as well.

Besides the Far Northeast, Center City, the Eastern Main Line (Lower Merion/Narberth), Lower Old York Road (Cheltenham/Abington/Jenkintown/Lower Moreland), and Cherry Hill/Voorhees are the current "cores" of greater Philadelphia Jewry, though plenty of other areas (Northampton, Upper Dublin, Swarthmore, among many others) have fairly high populations as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
I agree with this more or less. I guess Tone missed my exclusion of the Russians from this group. Just one point about Household income. Some people don't earn their money, they just have it.
That applies to incredibly few people, especially Jewish Americans, most of whom haven't had their money for very long. In either event, these are outliers who have little to no effect on the median.

Quote:
Also self employed people sometimes shield their income or assets from view.
That also applies to very few people. If you're saying this to support the idea that the number of Jews in any given place directly correlates with how moneyed an area is, you're again off-base.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-12-2013 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

That also applies to very few people. If you're saying this to support the idea that the number of Jews in any given place directly correlates with how moneyed an area is, you're again off-base.
Actually I never meant to imply that Jews tend to have a lot of money or make a lot or what ever, just that they seem to be drawn to fancy neighborhoods for a place to live. I myself live in a very fancy neighborhood and for a retiree I don't have a lot of money nor do I have a high income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or