Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually SoLibs, comparably priced homes in South Philly are further away from Center City than Port Richmond....and in much rougher areas. I know, live here and priced both.
I live here too. What kind of house are we talking about?

The closest part of Port Richmond is 4 miles from City Hall. All of South Philly is less than 4 miles from City Hall.

But Port Richmond is a neighborhood, like Pennsport or Bella Vista or Girard Estate. South Philly is an entire section of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
I live in an 800 square foot Two Bedroom 1 Bath rowhouse. I'm aware of neighborhood names and where located. This particular house is the closest to City Hall, in a non-scary neighborhood that I could afford. There were homes in South Philly in my price range, in particular the area east of Broad and south of Tasker/Morris, however somehow it just didn't seem like a good idea. Also I don't drive Point A to Point B, which I should probably have mentioned in terms of proximity. I can make it door to door from here via two SEPTA modes (bus and El) in 25 minutes. Faster than the equivalent in the areas I mentioned in South Philly.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in an 800 square foot Two Bedroom 1 Bath rowhouse. I'm aware of neighborhood names and where located. This particular house is the closest to City Hall, in a non-scary neighborhood that I could afford. There were homes in South Philly in my price range, in particular the area east of Broad and south of Tasker/Morris, however somehow it just didn't seem like a good idea. Also I don't drive Point A to Point B, which I should probably have mentioned in terms of proximity. I can make it door to door from here via two SEPTA modes (bus and El) in 25 minutes. Faster than the equivalent in the areas I mentioned in South Philly.
The part of South Philly you're talking about is called EPX. That's one of the safest parts of South Philly. I think only Girard Estate is safer. Not to mention it has a great and growing restaurant/bar scene. Not to dis' Port Richmond but i'll take places like 1601, the Cantina or Adobe Cafe over the corner, blue collar bar scene in PR anyday.

From Tasker/Morris it takes 6 minutes to get to City Hall on the subway. That's just not possible from anywhere on the El past 2nd St. Between Broad & 10th from Washington down to Oregon there's no place that should make you feel unsafe.

I'm not saying that your decision is wrong for you but I would never tell someone to pick PR over EPX.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 PM

219 posts, read 674,519 times
Default Wrong about Port Richmond

I came across this post while searching for posts about my beloved Port Richmond and I would just like to say that so many of these posts are wrong on so many points- I'll go through them all:

Port Richmond is not "white trash". Port Richmond, although overwhelmingly white, is not the poorest of all the working-0class neighborhoods in Philly. As a matter of fact, it's pretty middle class compared to anything on the other side of Tulip St. in Kensington.

Port Richmond does not have any "Young Jeezy" looking types. Old tpeople on their stoops sometimes stare at you as you walk by- that's just about the most hostile interaction you'll ever see. Some teenagers in an aeropostale shirt might nod his head at you. That's it. You don't need to walk with your fists clenched, and it doesn't get "skeezy"

You say we don't have classy places to eat and shop. you want cute antique bouquets? You have ReStore, the salvage place, and Bargac antiques. You have ethnic bakeries? You have two right across the street from one another on Alleghany. We have New Wave Cafe for drinks and Mercer Cafe for brunch.

And who said you have to brush up on your Spanish? That's just rubbish- try Polish- which is spoken by at least a quarter of your neighborhood.

We have great schools too- try Richmond School and Bridesburg Schools-two of the best elementary schools in the city.

I'm tired of people badmouthing Port Richmond and never having been here. Maybe it's word association with Port Richmond on Staten Island that turns people off, but that's absolutely unfair, isn't it?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
It's also an old thread. Two years later and Port Richmond/Fishtown is the hottest new development area in the city. I've lived here for 6 years now and have never had an issue though I have no car and walk/SEPTA everywhere I go. Many people are content to scare themselves and others via inaccurate perceptions because it makes their own choices (often poor) look better. The reality is if one wants to invest in an affordable positive-cash flow home in Philadelphia, this is one of the few safe neighborhoods where it's possible.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
I don't know if it's "the hottest" but certainly it's seen steady progress. It's an interesting mix of white no collar, blue collar, polish immigrants, and newcomers. and two years later, I'd be surprised if the same still held true for south philly, at least for anything north of snyder. somerset is still an awful station, I'd prefer K&A over Somerset anyday, or take the bus that runs on lehigh over to the BSL.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,260 times
bryson662001
I live in Port Richmond and we are not white trash. We are hard working individuals that maintain our neighborhood and are proud of it also. I am insulted that you would call us white trash. Have you ever lived here? I'm sure not, your probably one of those rich suburban snobs that look down on everybody. So before you all start with the name calling unless you have lived here you all need to learn some manners and respect. Its really a shame that some individuals think they have the right to judge others when they don't have a clue. next time think before you open your mouth, we are human beings and not white trash.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 2,871 times
um i hate my block 3000 block of agate street.here all your neighbors etc will con youu steal your **** and get whatever they can i got beat up on the corner for not puttoing songs on a cd.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:07 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreycoval1 View Post
um i hate my block 3000 block of agate street.here all your neighbors etc will con youu steal your **** and get whatever they can i got beat up on the corner for not puttoing songs on a cd.
That's because you moved into Kensington. West of Aramingo is now considered "Kensington."

Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Port Richmond is a very working class, dare I say "white trash" kind of neighborhood which would explain the low house prices. On the other hand it is relativly low crime and very convenient to everything including public transit and shopping. If you aren't hung up on status it can be a decent place to live.
Racist post. How is this not removed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia