Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
I think you will find fewer people into cars in the city. Some people are into cars, some are not

Some people like the boring suburban life, some people are cool

To each his own.

I agree what your saying.. But if so just say it and don't attempt to half halfheartedly defend it.. I would respect you more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
like I said.. a trip to the shore for a week will cost you $660.. This is according to *their* website. I did not make this up. You think that a great deal? wow.. You may try 'pride of ownership' cause you will be saving $$ if you do my friend. And you allowed to have 'pride of ownership' for more then one item I have my home and my cars.. You are allowed too..
Shockingly not everyone sees a trip to the shore (or butchered into "down the shore") as the ideal getaway, therefore renting a Zipcar for a week doesn't really occur to anyone but those who find the Jersey shore the only vacation destination of choice, year in and year out. Almost everyone who utilizes Zipcar does so for a few hours, a day or maybe a couple of days. Otherwise airlines, hotels and rental car companies reap the benefits of my lack of car ownership, as well as anyone else with coherent thought regarding this conversation.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
are these the benefits of living in the city??

Huge City Hall Snowball Fight Lands Teens in Jail | NBC Philadelphia

Mob descends on Center City stores; 15 arrested | Philadelphia Daily News | 02/16/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100216_Mob_descends_on_Center_City_stores__15_ar rested.html - broken link)
Those situations do stink - that mob situation is particularly embarrassing - but to be fair, there was a big snowball fight near me in DC around the holidays. And it was started by a bunch of twentysomething adults!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Shockingly not everyone sees a trip to the shore (or butchered into "down the shore") as the ideal getaway, therefore renting a Zipcar for a week doesn't really occur to anyone but those who find the Jersey shore the only vacation destination of choice, year in and year out. Almost everyone who utilizes Zipcar does so for a few hours, a day or maybe a couple of days. Otherwise airlines, hotels and rental car companies reap the benefits of my lack of car ownership, as well as anyone else with coherent thought regarding this conversation.
I was using the shore as an example. You can change the location to Camden, Outer banks, 5th and japip.. whatever you want. I think you missed my point.. Renting is no the best idea.. Its a moneymaker for the car renter. Why do you think they do it?? They are digging deep into your pockets and you are not even aware..

Old 02-18-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Those situations do stink - that mob situation is particularly embarrassing - but to be fair, there was a big snowball fight near me in DC around the holidays. And it was started by a bunch of twentysomething adults!
A snowball fight in the winter is fun.. Its what happened later when the cops came to break it up. The animals run into Macys and ran out with everything they could carry.. Disgusting..

Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 AM

149 posts, read 445,263 times
Quote:
I was using the shore as an example. You can change the location to Camden, Outer banks, 5th and japip.. whatever you want. I think you missed my point.. Renting is no the best idea.. Its a moneymaker for the car renter. Why do you think they do it?? They are digging deep into your pockets and you are not even aware..
Cars are a money pit....how could you even make this argument? If you own a car you take a huge depreciation in value once you drive it off the lot, you fill it with gas on a weekly basis (if not more), drive it when you don't have to (and could walk instead) and most importantly for this argument's sake you pay for the darn thing even when it isn't being used. Your payments towards a car happen whether you use it or not....plus, you pay car insurance on top of that. A renter on the other had only pays for the car when it is being used. If they use it once a week they pay once a week. It may be more expensive if a renter uses a car the way a suburbanite does, but they don't have to beause a city-dweller has options....pay for a rental for a day, take a bus, train, taxi, bike. All pay-for-service. That's called freedom. Something a suburban car-owner doesn't have. You have a car. You pay for it when you drive it, AND when it sits in your driveway. You pay more, and you have no other options. Your argument is short-sighted. I was going to get into the health implications of sitting in a car all day long and the cost of that.....but I suspect that may be over the head of some....

Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM

This portion of the conversation is interesting... but let's at least get back to discussing the specific merits of car ownership vs. car sharing/renting in Philly and the suburbs.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,591 times
"Fleeing" Philadelphia? Well I will hopefully be moving to Philadelphia this summer. Crime? Not a biggie - I currently live in a city with a higher crime rate

Old 02-22-2010, 10:05 AM

521 posts, read 1,313,154 times
I don't know why any local would keep posting on a thread labeled "fleeing Philadelphia" and keep it on the front page and on the top of the page, no less. This was started back in mid-2008, and it's gone off tangent...I'd think people would start new threads. I know, my posting to this thread adds to keeping it alive, but hopefully this thread can die...soon!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 AM

As the co-moderator toobusytoday said a few pages ago, this thread has essentially become the main venting thread for those who would like to express their frustrations about Philly. Of course, more optimistic members are welcome to present their counterpoints. As long as everyone is respectful of each other's point of view, this thread will continue as long as people have something to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia