Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times

Advertisements

I think you don't need the car in certain parts of the city. It depends on where you are oriented.

If you live work and play in the heart of the city, if you have an apartment on or not far from the Broad Street Corridor or Market Street corridors then you could get along fine perhaps.

The Upper Northeast and Roxborogh/Manayunk and Southwest Philly are different. They are oriented away from the subway and best bus routes, plus have larger housing and tracks of land (NE especially) you'd probably need a car there.

I got to thinking about it. More people could deal without cars if SEPTA were up to snuff, particularly more frequent train services but that's another topic I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM

203 posts, read 561,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
are these the benefits of living in the city??

Huge City Hall Snowball Fight Lands Teens in Jail | NBC Philadelphia

Mob descends on Center City stores; 15 arrested | Philadelphia Daily News | 02/16/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100216_Mob_descends_on_Center_City_stores__15_ar rested.html - broken link)
No these are not.

But see all these links below about interesting things in the burbs

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

10 posts, read 64,678 times
LOL, it isnt IF the city is losing people, it is about WHO the city is losing. Employable, intelligent, non drug users, no criminal record, these people are gone or going. Crackheads, gun toting criminals, and people on the govt dole - they are breeding like mad.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippypeople9 View Post
LOL, it isnt IF the city is losing people, it is about WHO the city is losing. Employable, intelligent, non drug users, no criminal record, these people are gone or going. Crackheads, gun toting criminals, and people on the govt dole - they are breeding like mad.
you hi the nail on the head my friend... Phillys population is growing ....with welfare kids who are popping em out like a lollipop factory

Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
Default Wow, you must be scared of life....

Quote:
most of the good, hardworking, tidy home people have either retired and moved or just got fed up and moved.. And in its place are a whole lot section 8 homes and/or people with no jobs collecting off the Government letting their homes waste away, playing loud music at all hours and just plain horrible neighbors . This is what happened to my old neighborhood in the NE. Seemed like overnight. scary and sad
I know I am responding very late to this post, and I usually lurk but had to sign up to post a response to you. C'mon! Are you serious? I have lived in both Philly and South Jersey all of my life. I recently married and bought a home in Chestnut Hill, on the border of C. Hill and Mt. Airy. My husband and I both have jobs, keep our houses clean, and chose to live in Philadelphia over South Jersey! As did many of our friends and family members. People like you, from the Northeast section usually, are just scared of what you see as change and you run-which is fine-but dont try to sway people against the city because you couldn't handle it. Guess what? South Jersey has its own set of problems. I moved in high school and went to school in S. Jersey where I met more kids who did harder drugs then in Philly. These kids had the money for coke, while Philly kids are only drinking. There is no sense of community in S. Jersey but malls, and developments. Your neighbors never look out for you, and you barely speak to them. I can remember when a kid at my high school died suddenly, kids were using it as an excuse for a day off and didnt show up at his funreal. The same thing happened in Philly, and the neighborhood took up a collection for the kid's family to pay for funreal costs. Everything is a trade off. Jersey has big houses with nice lawns, and good schools with high taxes, and a "Pleasant Valley Sunday" mentality.If you like driving everywhere and eating at Applebees, its the place for you. In addition, not all parts are great-with places like Camden, Wilingboro, and Burlington City. And dont be silly-people are accepting aid in NJ too-ever see those shady motels on the highway? Thats where NJ sticks the poor, but they shop with you, go to your schools, etc . Scary to someone like you, I know.There are tons of great neighborhoods in Philly-Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Andorra, East Falls, Packer Park, Queens Village, etc etc. Northeast Philly may someday have a re-surgance like Fairmont or other parts.Moderator Cut Good luck hiding from the 21st century in your New Jersey "utopia".

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-05-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: personal attack; refer to the Terms of Service

Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,253 times
Chestnut Hill is the exception to the rule. Your northern and western borders are protected by the Republicans. Your souther border is protected by the park/Wissahickon creek. Most Dems don't know how to swim. You are fighting a one front war.

If we go to the east and look at Germantown which used to be just like Chestnut Hill. The Dems invaded and now the neighborhood is a total ghetto. Between crime, garbage, graffiti and bad schools that neighborhood is a a slum.

Name a few neighborhoods in Philly where you can send your kids to public school k-12 without any problems.

You could probably list Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square and Society Hill as good neighborhoods too but those handful of blocks do not offset MILES of N. Philly, W. Philly, and SW Philly.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Chestnut Hill is the exception to the rule. Your northern and western borders are protected by the Republicans. Your souther border is protected by the park/Wissahickon creek. Most Dems don't know how to swim. You are fighting a one front war.

If we go to the east and look at Germantown which used to be just like Chestnut Hill. The Dems invaded and now the neighborhood is a total ghetto. Between crime, garbage, graffiti and bad schools that neighborhood is a a slum.

Name a few neighborhoods in Philly where you can send your kids to public school k-12 without any problems.

You could probably list Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square and Society Hill as good neighborhoods too but those handful of blocks do not offset MILES of N. Philly, W. Philly, and SW Philly.
noo kish. its simply not true.. How can you say such things????

Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
Any minute the mods will come in and delete your post "for being rude".But by all means if you wish to bash the city that seems to be just fine...

no bashing vic. Just our experience.. All based on facts.. If your experience is different, great for you!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Most Dems don't know how to swim.
I tend towards Democratic - in more ways than one - and I even know how to swim!

Let's not generalize with the "political parties".

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-05-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,253 times
Quote:
noo kish. its simply not true.. How can you say such things????

What is not true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia