Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM

14 posts, read 57,962 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Austin, TX. But am a native New Yorker, having grown up on LI and lived in Manhattan for 8 years. I've heard there is an influx of creatives and folks from Brooklyn especially into the Fishtown neighborhood.

I'm looking to get back to the East Coast and buy a town home and hopefully have a good "neighborhood" experience...meaning at least a little sense of community/friendliness with neighbors where I live as well as cool restaurants and coffee houses to walk to, perhaps a park nearby. That kinda thing.

So any intel on Philly and Fishtown in particular would be great. Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
My experience is limited, but since no one else has responded, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I worked in Northeast Philly for 12 years, and my mental health clients always said that Fishtown was where they went to buy drugs. It was known as a dangerous area with run-down homes and drug-related crime. I heard that in the 40's-60's it was a stable blue-collar family area, but since the 70's it had gone down hill. The famous joke was "what has 6 legs and 3 teeth? Three women from Fishtown." This was all in the late 90's.

Then oddly, I recently went to an Irish pub to see an acquaintance's band play, and it happened to be in Fishtown. I was surprised to see a lot of rowhouses being fixed up. A lot of younger, artsy couples have moved in and are trying to turn it all around. I saw the 20-somethings who ride Vespas, gay couples, and punk/ art-major types, etc. There also seem to be bars and restaurants that are trying to attract the young & hip, and well as old people like me in their late 30's who live in the burbs.

I tend to be a snob about "bad" areas, but I must say, it left me feeling hopeful. Plus I drank Absolut & tonics and they were like $3, not the $9-$12 I'm used to!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM

14 posts, read 57,962 times
that's great information. thank you! and heck, late 30s ain't old...at least i hope not, for my own sake.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,681 times
Fishtown is definitely on the uprise. You can tell because it is now referred to as "Fishtowne," in many real estate ads.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:02 PM

46 posts, read 181,386 times
Bad area. Plain and simple.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
yeah, i haven't heard great things about fishtown. seems like the long time blue collar residents are not welcoming of the urban hipsters..

Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Nor are they welcoming of diversity of any kind..........

Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,543 times
My friend's dad lives in Fishtwon. His rowhome is gorgeous and HUGE. He and his wife make great money, but they still choose to live there. I don't think it's a bad neighborhood and you probably get better bang for your buck then living in center city.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 13,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My experience is limited, but since no one else has responded, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I worked in Northeast Philly for 12 years, and my mental health clients always said that Fishtown was where they went to buy drugs. It was known as a dangerous area with run-down homes and drug-related crime. I heard that in the 40's-60's it was a stable blue-collar family area, but since the 70's it had gone down hill. The famous joke was "what has 6 legs and 3 teeth? Three women from Fishtown." This was all in the late 90's.

Then oddly, I recently went to an Irish pub to see an acquaintance's band play, and it happened to be in Fishtown. I was surprised to see a lot of rowhouses being fixed up. A lot of younger, artsy couples have moved in and are trying to turn it all around. I saw the 20-somethings who ride Vespas, gay couples, and punk/ art-major types, etc. There also seem to be bars and restaurants that are trying to attract the young & hip, and well as old people like me in their late 30's who live in the burbs.

I tend to be a snob about "bad" areas, but I must say, it left me feeling hopeful. Plus I drank Absolut & tonics and they were like $3, not the $9-$12 I'm used to!
Sorry, but I beg to differ. I was born and raised in Fishtown and was there most of my life. It was NEVER a run down area nor a popular place for drugs. Fishtown was most of blue collar workers and military folks. I don't know where you have gotten your information from but it is absolutely wrong. I am a person of well pedigree proudly from Fishtown and hold 3 college degrees and a High Honors High School Diploma. I did live on the East side of Fishtown right down the street from Penn Treaty Park.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 AM

244 posts, read 747,372 times
I find it funny that people that are not from the area bash the area. I do not live in fishtown but I do live in a lower northeast neighborhood and can tell you that Fishtown is a great place to live. To the people on these boards that say Fishtown, Port Richmond and Bridesburg are bad neighborhoods, get a clue they are blue collar, hard working, family oriented neighborhoods and I am proud to be a part of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia