Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,025 times

Advertisements

We have been renting for almost year now in East Falls (moved here from Boston last summer) and we are looking to buy. We like East Falls, but feel like it is a bid overpriced for what it is (no downtown area, close to not so nice area). We looked a bit in Roxborough and it seems you get a lot more for your money, we have been told it is one of the safest areas of Philly, and his a bit of a downtown (although it isn't great), but is close enough to Manyunk.

Since we are not from here I'm wondering what people who really know the city think of this neighborhood in terms of the people and the real estate (priced right, holding it's value, and/or on a steady rise/decline).

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

160 posts, read 802,626 times
I like Roxborough. I went to nursing school next to the hospital and it's a nice mix of city and the suburbs. Manayunk is walking distance from some areas, and you're close to CC. You are also right next to plymouth meeting and all the shops including the mall. Also, you are about 20-25min from King of Prussia mall which is convenient. I find it to be safe and very family oriented. Many people in Roxborough are born and die there. My co-worker lives in the same house she was born in! Drive through the area so you don't get a horror neighbor, but in general it's quite nice,especially closer to the Andorra shopping center area.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:15 PM

205 posts, read 821,145 times
My family has been in Roxborough since the 50s, it's a very nice place, and relatively quiet. As was mentioned, it is very family oriented, I know a few people who have lived in their homes for their entire lives, and there is a large elderly population in some areas. There are a lot of houses for sale on my street alone, they are mostly FSBOs. I enjoy the area because it's close to the suburban style stores (Best Buy, Target, Kohls) and you still have easy access to the city (via SEPTA route 9 or Driving down Kelly Drive).

My favorite part about the area is Wissahickon Park (Forbidden Drive, Fairmount Park). If I didn't have to work, I could spend all summer hiking and biking in that area. What I like least about it is the lack of a night life. You would need to go down to Manayunk or Center City for any of that. I think the trade off is worth is for the quietness and the park.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,940 times
I just joined and am not sure how to post a question. Sorry, I am not computer savvy.

I was thinking of moving from Minnesota to Colorado and was interested in Roxborough.

Are there employment opportunities available there? I don't need to make much but I am concerned that all there may be is fast food joints. Clerical jobs would suit me okay.

What is the crime rate like? Where I live now we hardly have any crime. I am very worried about that. I want a safe town with a low crime rate to live in with at least some good job opportunities. It seems the West attracts the crime element since people are able to move around more due to the milder climate. At least the winters in Minnesota slow it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia