Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 AM

8 posts, read 24,492 times

Advertisements

We will be in Paoli in Aug. to look for housing. What areas should we avoid? We have a 12 yr. old daughter that will be in the 7th grade, I want somewhere safe due to, she could at times be home alone or have to walk to catch the bus for school. We can't afford the expensive places, we need to stay around $1000/month, which I know in that area is tough to find but if someone can please point us in the right direction of where to look and where to avoid. I've been on Craigslist.com looking but I just don't know what areas I shouldn't look at, my husband will be working in Paoli and a 45 minute commute is fine with him, we just need pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelggill View Post
We will be in Paoli in Aug. to look for housing. What areas should we avoid? We have a 12 yr. old daughter that will be in the 7th grade, I want somewhere safe due to, she could at times be home alone or have to walk to catch the bus for school. We can't afford the expensive places, we need to stay around $1000/month, which I know in that area is tough to find but if someone can please point us in the right direction of where to look and where to avoid. I've been on Craigslist.com looking but I just don't know what areas I shouldn't look at, my husband will be working in Paoli and a 45 minute commute is fine with him, we just need pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for any help
IMO everyplace out that way is fine except: Norristown, Bridgeport, Lansdowne and East Lansdowne, Upper Darby or anyplace southeast of Upper Darby (Providence, Swarthmore and Springfield are fine)

Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Avoid the William Penn, Southeast Delco, Chester Upland, Norristown, Coatesville, and Chichester school districts. Upper Darby would be next on the list of least desirable districts but Drexel Hill is safe. Pretty much anywhere else should be good from an educational and safety perspective...

Last edited by orrmobl; 07-25-2008 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Thank you for your help.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 PM

9 posts, read 70,301 times
Northeast Philly is the place to live, very safe if you compare it with the rest of Philly.. Just stay above Cottman Ave...

Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 26,836 times
Chester Springs, Exton and Downingtown are all about 30 minutes west of Paoli. They're all in the Downingtown school district which is highly rated.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 PM

Thank you both.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelggill View Post

Thanks for any help
Move to somewhere near where your hubby works. Gas for commute and better schools in the burbs will win you over. + you have to pay city wage tax if you live in the city. The schools are not nearly as good as the burbs too. There is really no good reason to move into the city with children.. Single people is another story.. The city is more geared for singles who love the nightlife.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCat View Post
Chester Springs, Exton and Downingtown are all about 30 minutes west of Paoli. They're all in the Downingtown school district which is highly rated.

Excellent advise.. + its much safer then the city.. MUCH safer

Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Excellent advise.. + its much safer then the city.. MUCH safer
Fair enough, although a commute from Philly to Paoli would have likely exceeded their preferred 45 minutes. It certainly makes sense to consider surrounding suburban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia