Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 23,583 times

Advertisements

is yardley a good area to relocate to? we live in north jersey and my husband works in hopewell, nj so we were thinking of moving south to pa. are there other areas near the border that have good schools and reasonable house prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,241 times
I've been to Yardley only a couple of times (to visit a friend), and it does seem like a nice area; however, the flooding there (in the borough) can be bad. That is the main reason why I wouldn't want live to there.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 AM

183 posts, read 631,808 times
Default Yardley is wonderful

We moved to Yardley a year ago and could not be happier. If you tell a bit more about your situation we can speak to specific advantages. The Pennsbury school system is strong. If you want to avoid flooding, stick to areas west of Main Street...it is really only the neighborhoods that sit between the canal and the river that are affected.
We live in Yardley Station, a townhouse development adjacent to the train station. Very convenient living, and if a condo suits you there are three for sale right now. Great time to buy in Yardley.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:04 AM

Default More...

Here's some Yardley romance I posted elsewhere on this forum:
Consider Yardley or Langhorne as an alternative to Newtown. We moved here last year and chose Yardley. We love it.
Newtown is one exit closer to the city, but that is the only real advantage. Newtown is beautiful, but crowding and traffic are serious issues.
Yardley is a jewel. No traffic, right on the river, and we even have a train station that gets us into center city. Like many Yardley residents, we can walk to the station. It is also about a ten minute drive to the Trenton station, and from there you can take a NJ Transit train into NYC for $11.
Ten minutes in another direction gets you into the Oxford Valley Mall area, with tons of shopping and restaurant choices, and Sesame Place to boot!
When you arrive to do your research, stroll Main St in Yardley. Sit out back at Starbucks and enjoy pretty Lake Afton. Have a great burger for lunch at the Continental Tavern. Make the ten minute drive to Washington's Crossing Park and Bowman's Hill for a happy history lesson, then motor another five minutes into New Hope, park your car, and stroll the art and shopping enclave that draws people from all over the world. If you can stay for Dinner, find your way back along the river to the Yardley Inn and ask for a table with a river view. By the time you are ordering dessert and coffee, you will realize that you have found home.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM

wow... i love the place already from your description. we actually checked the area and yes, we saw the train station. what i'm worried about is the flooding of the streets. does it get messy when there's serious rain?
we saw lower makefield too, but the houses there look more expensive. thanks for providing the answer on newton. we were also about to check the area out but we didn't have time anymore to look around.
how about schools? i have 3 kids (10, 8 and 2 yrs.).
thanks for the reply.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Yes, the Pennsbury schools are excellent.
There is no flooding in Yardley Station. We did our home inspection the day after Yardley was hit with 9 inches of rain, and things were stable in our condo development.
Main Street gets pretty deep in flood situations, but as far as we know people here can always get home.
Just avoid the east side of town down toward the river. That is where things tend to shut down. The flood situations that still have people uneasy were highly unusual - three "hundred year floods" three years in a row. We should be good for another 300 years!
Let me emphasize - there are a record number of homes for sale in Yardley right now, it is a buyer's market.
Good luck with your move.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
We just moved to Yardley a few weeks ago, and so far love it. The people we have met have been incredibly friendly, and there are so many wonderful activities for the kids.

We actually did not want to look at Yardley because of the flooding, but after talking to many people that have lived here for a long time, it isn't so bad. Personally my two favorite towns were Yardley and Newtown. Langhorne had a few neighborhoods that are beautiful, but it doesn't have that great center of town I love!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
We just moved to Yardley a few weeks ago, and so far love it. The people we have met have been incredibly friendly, and there are so many wonderful activities for the kids.

We actually did not want to look at Yardley because of the flooding, but after talking to many people that have lived here for a long time, it isn't so bad. Personally my two favorite towns were Yardley and Newtown. Langhorne had a few neighborhoods that are beautiful, but it doesn't have that great center of town I love!

thanks for the tip. we are seriously considering yardley. ..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelb View Post
Consider Yardley or Langhorne as an alternative to Newtown. We moved here last year and chose Yardley. We love it.
Newtown is one exit closer to the city, but that is the only real advantage. Newtown is beautiful, but crowding and traffic are serious issues.
Yardley is a jewel. No traffic, right on the river, and we even have a train station that gets us into center city. Like many Yardley residents, we can walk to the station. It is also about a ten minute drive to the Trenton station, and from there you can take a NJ Transit train into NYC for $11.
Ten minutes in another direction gets you into the Oxford Valley Mall area, with tons of shopping and restaurant choices, and Sesame Place to boot!
When you arrive to do your research, stroll Main St in Yardley. Sit out back at Starbucks and enjoy pretty Lake Afton. Have a great burger for lunch at the Continental Tavern. Make the ten minute drive to Washington's Crossing Park and Bowman's Hill for a happy history lesson, then motor another five minutes into New Hope, park your car, and stroll the art and shopping enclave that draws people from all over the world. If you can stay for Dinner, find your way back along the river to the Yardley Inn and ask for a table with a river view. By the time you are ordering dessert and coffee, you will realize that you have found home.
Hi Would you be able to tell me what the name of your townhome development is called? There are so many...I don't know where to begin. We are currently in South Jersey (Haddonfield, near Cherry hill)

Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelb View Post
do you know how long the commute to center city pa is? my husband and i both work in center city philadelphia. thank you so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia