Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 AM

151 posts, read 693,497 times

Advertisements

Ihave a question, for all of you who moved from NYC tp PA and commute to the city by train was it worth it now that gas prices has gone up? I know that many times you have to drive to the train and in certain areas you need a car to get around PA.
The reason I ask is because I am slated to have a good government job soon in NYC and will be looking to buy in Montgomery county, PA or somewhere not too far from public transportation but a safe area. I will be looking to commute by train and my hubby will be able to get a transfer to an office in PA with no problem. I will only be doing this commute for up to 3 years max. Will the gas price issue be a major negative factor? for those who do this commute whats the cons so far aside from the commute time? (not worried as I know some people who commute from NJ to NYC and take 2 hours) I am purely talking in regards to gas prices.
For those wondering yes prices of homes are going down but not in NYC!
thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 05:28 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Assuming the SEPTA/NJ Transit train fares don't rise dramatically, I don't see gas prices being a factor. Now if were required to drive from PA to NYC, that could be a potential deal-breaker once you run a numbers comparison.

As it is, you may want to consider communities in Bucks County as it would make a train commute doable and a car commute, if necessary, somewhat more bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Ihave a question, for all of you who moved from NYC tp PA and commute to the city by train was it worth it now that gas prices has gone up? I know that many times you have to drive to the train and in certain areas you need a car to get around PA.
The reason I ask is because I am slated to have a good government job soon in NYC and will be looking to buy in Montgomery county, PA or somewhere not too far from public transportation but a safe area. I will be looking to commute by train and my hubby will be able to get a transfer to an office in PA with no problem. I will only be doing this commute for up to 3 years max. Will the gas price issue be a major negative factor? for those who do this commute whats the cons so far aside from the commute time? (not worried as I know some people who commute from NJ to NYC and take 2 hours) I am purely talking in regards to gas prices.
For those wondering yes prices of homes are going down but not in NYC!
thanks in advance

Old 05-25-2008, 06:18 PM

301 posts, read 921,983 times
i never understood why people would commute to Manhattan from Philly. How much more do you make up there???

a >$100,000 raise would make me lose 4 hours of each and every day to purely commute back and forth...

Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM

151 posts, read 693,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant$ View Post
i never understood why people would commute to Manhattan from Philly. How much more do you make up there???

a >$100,000 raise would make me lose 4 hours of each and every day to purely commute back and forth...
Ant$, I understand your thinking but we live in east NY borderline bedstuy. If you know the area I speak of 'nough said! Looking at the prices of homes in NYC id be renting forever and my kids will never know the meaning of living in a decent middle class area without hearing gun shots and working hard to obtain the dream of being a homeowner, instead of overextending yourself just to say you live in NYC! (p.s. I know someone who bought a home in NYC for $490,000 W/7 percent interest rate on a $47,000 income and her hubby makes $25,000 so she works very late to make ends meet and to have the chance to say she lives in NYC! NO THANKS!)

Secondly, I'll only be doing this max 3 years as I am currently in school to become a nurse at which point ill be working at one of the hospitals in PA or the VA admin. hospital.
I'm a woman with a plan!

Tone509 thanks for the info!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM

635 posts, read 1,165,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Will the gas price issue be a major negative factor?
Spot shortages are a distinct possibility, so getting to the station may be problematic.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Gas prices wouldn't really impact many Philly-NYC commuters because Northeast Corridor trains (both for Amtrak and SEPTA/NJ Transit) use electric power, not diesel power. Mind you, a lot of electricity is generated using coal, and coal is also rising in price, but not as quickly as petroleum (and coal was cheaper to begin with).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia