U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 06:25 PM

29 posts, read 139,290 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move to the Chester County, PA area or somewhere west of the city and commutable to Coatesville. I've heard that West Chester is a lovely area, both picturesque and lots to do. Can someone attest to this? I'm looking for some culture and great schools.

Also, we are a mixed family of Christians and Jews and would like to be in a place where there is some diversity.

Can someone recommend towns around the Chester County area or surrounding counties that would fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 09:45 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
The area around Exton, Chester Springs is blowing up on the high end of the spectrum. Its expensive but very very nice. Culture? is debatable theres a great quality of life but your culture is going to be Main Street at Exton ( a town center type development, or the Exton mall. Exton\Chester Springs was rolling farmland 20 years ago but they are doing a great of developing this area, which will be one of the best parts of SE pa once it matures a bit.

Downingtown which is about 5 miles west of Exton (5-10) miles east of Coatesville is also a nice area and less expensive compared to Chester Springs. West of Downingtown it becomes very rural. The main jewish community in Philadelphia is along the main line(Villanova-Bryn Mawr-Bala Cynwd-Haverford) Incredible area but the commute to Coatesville would be a long one( 1Hr ) Good luck

Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 PM

29 posts, read 139,290 times
Thank you Rainrock! I'm so glad to have received a reply as I haven't had much luck getting responses on this topic.

I'm honing in on 2 areas after getting scoop from a few others: Chester Springs and Downingtown. This is right in line with what you suggested so I guess I'm on the right track. When I mention "culture", I guess I don't expect the Philharmonic at my back door....but would just like to know there is some decent shopping and restaurants with a little character - more than a family restaurant or chain on every corner.

I'm going to take a ride down there this weekend...so I guess I'll get my own personal sense.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Draper View Post
Thank you Rainrock! I'm so glad to have received a reply as I haven't had much luck getting responses on this topic.

I'm honing in on 2 areas after getting scoop from a few others: Chester Springs and Downingtown. This is right in line with what you suggested so I guess I'm on the right track. When I mention "culture", I guess I don't expect the Philharmonic at my back door....but would just like to know there is some decent shopping and restaurants with a little character - more than a family restaurant or chain on every corner.

I'm going to take a ride down there this weekend...so I guess I'll get my own personal sense.
There are plenty of independent restaurants in the area. The shopping options are terrific. Exton has a big mall and Main Street at Exton has dozens of shops and restaurants. King of Prussia is 15 minutes away and its the 2nd largest shopping mall in the usa. 15 minutes to the south is West Chester which is one of the nicest small towns you will ever see. The Main line is only 30 minutes away to the east. The Exton /Chester Springs area is growing so fast that they are supposedly building a second Target store 3 miles away from a current one.

Check out all 4 towns. They are all a bit different but each one has its own strong points. If you are looking for a small town with neighbors and a main street go West Chester then Downingtown. If you are looking for more typical suburbia than Chester Springs, Exton,Westtown, East Goshen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or