Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM

11 posts, read 82,003 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate to Philly, and we're considering the Main Line towns, Wallingford/Media area and perhaps Elkins Park. Anyone know much about Elkins Park?

I like what the Main Line has to offer in terms of shopping, the aesthetic, parks, etc., but it seems a little intense. How does Elkins Park compare? How are the schools in that area?

We have 2 young kids, third on the way. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 AM

144 posts, read 460,707 times
I live near Elkins Park but inside the Philly limits. Its a great area in terms of homes. I believe the school district is Cheltenham. Decent schools. Not hard to get into the downtown area via public transportation. I really like the area myself.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
The 611 corridor through Cheltenham, Jenkintown and Abington is just as fancy as the Main Line but it is smaller in area and much more off the radar so yes it would be less intense. If you like Elkins Park then check out Rydal and Meadowbrook in neighboring Abington Township as well.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I grew up near there, just inside the Philly border. It's a really nice area and is pretty convenient to downtown. I wouldn't call it intense at all.

Rydal is also very nice, as are Jenkintown and Abington. They're all pretty close, so if you like Elkins Park you can check out those as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 AM

11 posts, read 82,003 times
Default and the commute?

How is the commute from those areas to UPenn? Hoping to get there within 30 minutes. Thanks!!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proz View Post
How is the commute from those areas to UPenn? Hoping to get there within 30 minutes. Thanks!!
Driving would take more than 30 minutes due to traffic. I drove from 66th Ave & Broad Street (10 minutes or less from Elkins Park) down to 23rd & Chestnut for an internship, and it was 45 minutes door-to-door (including parking the car and walking to my office). Based on that, I'm assuming close to an hour? I like to hop around back streets, so there could be a faster way there, but I"m not sure.

You can take the R1, R2, R3, or R5 from Elkins Park to 30th Street and walk, or transfer to the subway for a stop or two. You can also take the R1, R2, or R3 to University City. From Elkins Park to 30th Street it's about 30 minutes.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM

160 posts, read 802,358 times
I lived in Elkins Park all throughout nursing school, so I had many clinical rotations downtown. Depending on when you leave, you can get some places in under 20 minutes. I commuted from home to Graduate hospital(around 17th and Locust) at about 6am and made it in 20minutes, including parking. Traffic is what makes the commute harder, the distance isn't that far at all. However, though there may be traffic, it is very easy to get into CC. You can either go straight down 611south or jump on route 1 to 76east,it just depends on time of day and your preference. I also had friends at penn and I would see them on a Thursday night, and I could make it in about 25minutes leaving at about 730pm so traffice wasn't an issue. Elkins Park is closer to the city than Jenkintown or Abington but probably bu only about 10-15 minutes. The mainline may be closer for your commute technically, but I feel like traffic is worse there, but this may be incorrect. The homes in Elkins Park are probably less, but taxes are higher. Best way to determine this is to probably drive and time yourself from EP to your destination.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,272 times
Elkins Park is in Cheltenham Township. I don't know why but property taxes are double that of the surrounding areas. If your plan is to purchase a $300,000 house in that Cheltenham Township, you will be paying 6k to 10k a year in just property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia