U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM

42 posts, read 173,489 times

Advertisements

Just got the most recent issue of Phila. Magazine today. The cover story is about the next "hot neighborhoods". I didn't get a chance to read the whole article yet. But skimming some of the charts, these are the towns that they highlight as "best bets". I'll just list the ones in gram negatives price range, and less than 30 min. to the city. Again, I didn't read the article yet, and I don't know what criteria or data they used. Hope this helps narrow things down.
Ardmore--median price 288,000 19 min. to CC (Center City)
Haverford Twp.--289,950 22 min.
Lansdowne--171,900 16 min.
Media--259,750 28 min.
Ambler--252,000 33 min.
Conshohocken--250,000 20 min.
Norristown 135,000 30 min.
This is according to Phila. Magazine's March issue. When I get time to read the article, I'll let you know if there's anything helpful in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 20,894 times
Dear RainRock,
Yes, we did make it to Drexel Hill and Lansdowne. We think there are nice pockets in Lansdowne but we don't want to live in a "pockety" neighborhood. Drexel Hill seemed a bit nicer and we felt that we should keep this area on our list. What we did learn is that we would really like to train into work.
Since your knowledge of the neighborhoods seems vast, I would like to pick your brain about two more areas. What about Secane and Primos? There close to both Glenolden and Morton and there is a train separating the two.
The areas you mentioned are nice. We really like Havertown and are hoping more houses in our price range go onsale there. I think Aston and Boothwyn are a bit far.
Our search continues!!

Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the info Jeb. I will know add Ambler and Norristown to my search..

Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 PM

42 posts, read 173,489 times
Have you considered Ridley Park? It's next to Morton, has excellent train access, and really easy access to Interstates 95 and 476--main arteries in and around the Phila. area.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Septa is the mass transit sytem here. If you go to www.septa.org they have a great website, maps and schedules etc. That will really help you out if trains are going to be important to you.

Primos and Secane?

They are both fine individually but for me personally I would want to be as far away from Collingdale, Yeadon and Darby as possible. Primos and Secane are a little too close to those areas for me. I like Morton and Rutledge better than Primos and Secane due to location.

jeb had a good recommendation in Ridley Park. Folsom and Crum Lynne are also areas you might want to look at. There is a section of Wallingford(Garden City that is a cool quiet little community and the houses are well within your range) the train stop is only 1 or 2 exits past primos. School district is outstanding. The commercial density drops off which makes for a better quality of living imo.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,548 times
Default relocating to Philly too...

Gram Negative... I swear I'm not hi-jacking your thread... I just happen to be in the exact same situation...
you see...
My wife is starting at Penn Dental this fall, and we are now planning to leave sunny Arizona for Philadelphia. My primary concern is for our 2 large dogs that will need a yard... i'm guessing the suburbs are the way to go... I'm looking into many of the towns you've all suggested to Gram Negative....

Anyone have any ideas info about suburbs on the Jersey side that would be a 20-30 minute commute (Cherry Hill etc???)

My price range is also in the $250-350 ...
safety and commute time are the key parameters for us... (not so much school districts...)

would appreciate any info... hope it is useful for you too Gm (-)...

Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ4now View Post
My primary concern is for our 2 large dogs that will need a yard... i'm guessing the suburbs are the way to go... I'm looking into many of the towns you've all suggested to Gram Negative....

Anyone have any ideas info about suburbs on the Jersey side that would be a 20-30 minute commute (Cherry Hill etc???)

My price range is also in the $250-350 ...
safety and commute time are the key parameters for us... (not so much school districts...)
$250-$350K .
Media
Wallingford,
Nether Providence
Newtown Square
Springfield,
Havertown
Ardmore
Middletown Township(Delaware County)

If you like outdoors there is a great state park(Ridley Creek State Park) in Media Pa.. Theres like 50 miles of hiking trails, biking /walking trail,trout streams,horse back riding and tons of open space to let your dogs loose. Media is a quaint little small town but also has a nice surrounding area if the mainstreet usa isn't your thing.

There is also virtually no crime anywhere out in the suburbs. Many outsiders who move to the Philly area are under the impression theres alot of crime and thats just not the case in 95% of the area. Parts of the city and adjoining inner suburbs do have way too much crime but if you are 5 miles away from Philly crime is pretty rare.

I personally like the Pa suburbs much better than S.jersey. The landscape in Pa is rolling hills and valleys where Jersey is very flat. Much lower property taxes in Pennsylvania than NJ. There is also a $3 bridge toll to get from NJ into Pa.. That being said there are some great affordable towns in south jersey suburbs within 30 minutes of Philly. Here are some of the better ones.

Cherry Hill
Haddonfield
Woodbury Heights
Voorhees
Merchantville

Good luck

Old 02-26-2007, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,548 times
Default Rainrock you rule!!!

I have been scouring many of the Philly threads,and have come across your input in a few scenarios.... I really appreciate your consistent advice, and i must say you are an excellent ambassador for the area...
my wife and i are a lot less apprehensive about the move, and have already begun looking into the towns you have mentioned....

thanks again...

Old 02-27-2007, 12:12 PM

No worries Az4Now. We are both in similar situations. I too have 2 dogs and that is the main reason we can't live in a twin. They are very yappy when they play together. I am happy to hear about the ridley creek park from Rainrock. We are pursuing Ridley park more than areas east of it as per RainRock's advice. I too agree, Rainrock, your advice is very helpful and there aren't any underlying soliciting messages in your advice. I have already been contacted by several real estate agents because of this thread and for their knowledge, we already have a real estate agent.
After visiting Philly two weekends ago and driving all over the city and back and forth to Penn, my suggestion to you, AZ4Now, is too really consider living on the septa line. It is the MOST convenient way to get to Penn. Monthly passes for Septa are about $100.
I hope we get more insider clues from people that live in the areas we are looking into. Just to remid everyone, our limit is $250K. Looking forward to reading the responses.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ4now View Post
my wife and i are a lot less apprehensive about the move, and have already begun looking into the towns you have mentioned....

thanks again...
Good luck with everything Az, you too GN. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with University City(Penn) and Center City. The winters are a little dreary around here but its a very vibrant exciting downtown come spring, summer and much of the fall. I think Penn has a couple billion dollars worth of projects going on, and Center City is booming as well with billions of dollars of projects underway. As Rosie O'Donnell recently said. Center City is a smaller, cleaner Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or