U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 20,894 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Philly area this summer and we will both be working at Penn. We are looking to find a house that is less than 30 minutes commute either by train or car.
I have been really interested in the Lansdowne/Drexel Hill area. Does anyone have any advice as to the safety of these two areas? I also realize from reading all the great threads that living on the main line is very nice. What is the commute from Mount Airy or Chestnut Hill to Penn?
If anyone has any suggestions about suburban living for less than $250,000 please let me know! I am excited to hear everyone's suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 03:39 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Landsdowne I would stay away from. Drexel Hill on westward(Springfield Media, Middletown) is very nice.Drexel Hill is safer than Landsdowne, Springfield is safer than Drexel Hill. Media has virtually no serious crime. In other words the further west you go the lesser the chance for crime Other towns that might fit your criteria Wallingford, Broomall,Havertown, Aston,Brookhaven.

MT Airy is approximately a 15-20 minute commute, Chestnut Hill 25-30 minutes. $250 K on the Mainline is going to be a twin or rowhome if that. Chestnut Hill is also big bucks.

Good luck

Last edited by rainrock; 01-29-2007 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-29-2007, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the info rainrock. I wonder if anyone living in Lansdowne would say otherwise concerning safety issues. I hope to get more feedback.

Thanks again.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 PM

Landsdowne back in the day was where the bankers and lawyers from Philadelphia lived. Its got a great housing stock and in many parts are still pretty well kept, but it borders West Philly and some rough parts of Upper Darby so trouble isn't very far away. Its worth a look, at one time was an incredible town.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:11 AM

179 posts, read 991,992 times
I work as a realtor in delaware county and have lived here for 40 years. If you want a single home in the 250 range drexel hill is your best choice. Very nice area. Lansdowne is and has been going down hill, sorry but it's just not a good choice taxes are high and crime is high. people don't take care of their house or the neighborhoods. If you have kids and are worried about schools drexel hill, havertown and newtown square are the best areas.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 PM

42 posts, read 173,489 times
It's sad to hear that Lansdowne is going/has gone downhill. I grew up there in the 70's and 80's. Everyone I grew up with agrees that Lansdowne was a great place to live. We all have so many great memories of the Lansdowne boys/girls club, the 4th of July parade and fireworks, being able to walk to the playground, post office, local store. It was a great, family-friendly community. I thought I heard that Lansdowne was on the verge of a comeback. Not true? I know the schools are definetly an issue. But I thought I heard that young professionals without kids were moving into the area and bringing it back. I hope so, it was a beautiful town at one time.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Default Chevck Suburban Thread

You may also want to check out the Suburban thread on this blog. I believe there is a specific one to Landsdowne. The thing about Drexel Hill to be wary of: Taxes are SKY HIGH, and the school district does not measure up to the price of those taxes. Also, your taxes will riase your mortgage payments. There is a small selection of twins in Springfield which has a better district: I think a couple of them are on sale at the moment, so check with your realtor.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill is a beautiful area and a short train ride to 30th Street station. You can walk to Penn or take the Frankford El. It is also a simple drive.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:08 PM

Thank you all for your replies. My husband and I went ot Philly this past weekend and started to get a feeling as to what neighborhoods we liked and didn't like. I think the number of cities we like has grown and has moved more west. What about areas like; Morton, Glenolden, and the surrounding areas? They are close to a train line and the houses seem a bit more affordable.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:29 PM

Morton and Glenolden are nice solid middle class neighborhoods. Personally , for resale and investment reasons I think there are better options for you. William Shivers is a real estate and he can certainly help you.

But if you can afford + 200K I'd look in the towns below before I would Glenolden + Morton .

Havertown, Media, Aston,Boothwyn, Wallingford, Middletown Township, Newtown Square, Springfield, Broomall are only 10 minutes further west than Glenolden .All have easy rides to one of the local rail stations or are around 1/2 hour commute to Penn.

Did you make it to Landsdowne or Drexel Hill. What did you think?

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2007 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Edited out a realtor link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or