Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times

Advertisements

I'm a NJ cheerleader but I think this argument is pretty silly. If you like at the 9 county Metro, less than half the population lives on the NJ side.

So the money and the problems are going to be concentrated on the PA side.

OTOH, if, in your calculations you're going to subtract Philly from the PA suburbs it's only fair to do the same thing with Camden.

As far as Philly having such a low median income . . . that's what happens when 48% of the poor people on the PA side are concentrated in one county.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Meanwhile, young professionals move out in search of opportunity. That's the day of reckoning for PA.
Maybe this will be a breakthrough for you.

Office market share 2Q 2008

Center City- 42 M sq.ft .........39%

Pa Burbs-43 M sq. ft...............40%

South Jersey- 13.7 M sq ft.........12%

New Castle Co De.- 9.7 M sq ft. ....9%

Pa 79% of the areas white collar jobs

South jersey 12% of the areas white collar jobs

Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
I suggest you go back and look at the start of the thread. It wasn't me with the axe to grind. All I did was post the updated numbers that just came out.
I didn't mean to single you out, as this circular debate has included a number of posters, including myself. Everyone can parse the numbers all they want, but when it comes down to it, both PA's and NJ's suburbs have a high quality of life that are very similar to one another. The very similar median income for the MSA counties in both states support that logic. It's when we splinter ourselves into separate regions that irritates me, as I like to think of South Jersey and Southeastern Pennsylvania as a cohesive metropolitan area. I'd like to hope that's not too optimistic.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I didn't mean to single you out, as this circular debate has included a number of posters, including myself. Everyone can parse the numbers all they want, but when it comes down to it, both PA's and NJ's suburbs have a high quality of life that are very similar to one another. The very similar median income for the MSA counties in both states support that logic. It's when we splinter ourselves into separate regions that irritates me, as I like to think of South Jersey and Southeastern Pennsylvania as a cohesive metropolitan area. I'd like to hope that's not too optimistic.
Thats entirely too well reasoned of a response duderino.

In some unconventionable way this constant self-clamoring may be therapeutic for him. I personally dont get it but the kid seems pretty harmless.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
Quote:
Also included NJ, still among the wealthiest in the nation. South Jersey saw a huge increase in wealth over last year. Not every county is listed.

The new data are from 2007:

PA – Philly burbs + Lehigh

Chester $83,000
Montgomery $74,000
Bucks $71,000
Delaware $60,000
Lancaster $52,000
Lehigh $52,000
Philadelphia $35,000
We are planning to move to PA from Texas in the next couple of years, but are a little worried.

PA has a state income tax, TX does not. The cost to buy a home is about double what we would pay here. How do people afford a $200,000. plus home on those incomes?

I am very excited about the move, but am worried if we can really afford it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:56 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
You have to just build up your equity, and don't assume that you have to move into your dream house right away. I'm guessing that salaries are higher here also.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
The NJ economy is more diverse and white collar than its PA counterparts. Heavily unionized PA keeps wages and benefits up while seniors are forced to stay in state. Meanwhile, young professionals move out in search of opportunity. That's the day of reckoning for PA.
Not sure NJ's economy is actually more diverse, but no one here would argue that PA is more white-collar.

It's actually somewhat amazing to me the level of wealth that exists in suburban Philly considering how anti-business PA can be. Of course Philadelphia was once a dominant city, and much of that wealth still exists here, and always will.

Clearly Jersey is more wealthy, hands-down, than PA in general. MR, if this makes you fell superior, that's great. At the same time, suburban Philly (the PA side) is hands-down more wealthy than SJ and chock full of way more good jobs. South Jersey benefits from good highways, proximity to Philadephia, NYC, and the shore. It's likely that Burlington County will keep seeing increases in income as more people commute to NYC from there.

If you want to toss out Camden city, than let's toss out an equal number of people in Norristown and Pottstown, Montgomery County, and see what that does to the numbers. I understand that Camden city brings down the county, but to equalize we need to remove a similar subset from the PA side as well. You can't just pick and choose in an attempt to inflate your misguided ego.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:17 PM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You have to just build up your equity, and don't assume that you have to move into your dream house right away. I'm guessing that salaries are higher here also.
A cost of living adjustment would be necessary. You are right, I need to lower the bar on the housing situation; just don't want to live in the ghetto. I wonder if there is a ghetto in the Sinking Spring, West Lawn area...

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM

Stephanie P, you'll be fine (I think). Incomes in suburban Philly are high in both PA and NJ. Home prices are high as well, but compared to metro NYC, DC, or Boston, they are, for the most part, very affordable.

PA's state income tax is a flat 3.07%, which is 2nd lowest of all states with income taxes.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's not what I said. I welcome UNBIASED and hearty debate. However, this ridiculous South Jersey vs. PA suburbs debate has gone on before and it has lead to nowhere. MoorestownResident is obsessed with crowning South Jersey the economic capital of the metro area, no matter how much evidence is presented to contrary. Not to mention your blatant bias against the city. So, enlighten me sir, what is the point of this thread?
MoorestownResident posted this thread because he believed (correctly) that it would cause spirited debate with himself on one side and everyone else on the other. If I'm not mistaken, this is the 3rd thread in which MoorestownResident has come out swinging against PA. The other 2 threads ended up being closed. I'm not sure what it's about but I imagine it's some sort of displaced aggression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia