Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:07 AM

385 posts, read 400,887 times

Advertisements

From the time visiting this site and the topics of philly and new york i will say it keeps the populations steady in some shape or form. New Jersey is in the smack of it. I'm actually thinking about moving to New York soon. I visit there very often. Im Philly born and raised and i actually strangely feel at home in NY. I don't feel out of place. I dont go as a tourist. I just couldn't lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times
I'm a New Yorker and went to Temple. I lived in NE Philly for about 18 months (senior year plus another 6 months after graduation) before moving back for a full-time job offer.

I've always felt Philly was more like a NJ city than a PA city. I always try to come back whenever I get the chance whether by car or by Amtrak.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX357 View Post
I lived in South Jersey by Philly for 17 years, its different then the NYC Metro Jersey area, its on a much smaller scale. I was bored a lot down their in Philly a lot of things shut down way to early and public transportation sucks in Philly. Besides Philly, PA and South Jersey is way to country too much open land, farms, small towns, and Philly people move way to slow and the city is way to laid back for me. Plus, I missed the food in NYC Pizza ( only good pizza was a guy from NYC who trucked gallons of NYC tap water which made the pizza good),bagels, Hot dogs, steakhouses, NY delis, gyros, cheesecake, pretzels, Chinese food, food trucks etc. Can't find any decent NYC foods in Philly at all, all the sports teams in philly stink they never win anything. I kind of got used to it and made the best of it, but I'm happy to be back by NYC their is nothing like it.
Annnnd here.... He.... Comes.....Spouting The Sewage... As Usual.
LMBO!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 PM

385 posts, read 400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
I'm a New Yorker and went to Temple. I lived in NE Philly for about 18 months (senior year plus another 6 months after graduation) before moving back for a full-time job offer.

I've always felt Philly was more like a NJ city than a PA city. I always try to come back whenever I get the chance whether by car or by Amtrak.
LOL Really ?....i never heard of Philly as a NJ City lol... Philadelphia,NJ looks pretty snazzy lol .

Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 AM

73 posts, read 129,465 times
I'll be joining the club in June, though I took a 6 year detour in the south (Louisiana and South Carolina). I'm a little apprehensive about going back up north, but hopefully my blood will thicken quick!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar602 View Post
I'll be joining the club in June, though I took a 6 year detour in the south (Louisiana and South Carolina). I'm a little apprehensive about going back up north, but hopefully my blood will thicken quick!
I moved back up from florida. The burbs are brutal, it's just you, nature, and the weather. Downtown is a riot though. It could be hell on earth or an ice age, all you'll care about is what's going on in the streets etc. Weather etc just adds to the challenge.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post

In all honesty I see both Philly and NYC as more "NJ" than the respective states they actually sit in. Multiple times over the years I've heard people say stuff like "NJ is the real NY State."

A state of Philly encompassing the metro would be awesome. Made this for a different thread a looong time ago:

Since I made that map, I've come to the conclusion that it would make more sense to have one giant state rather than splitting into two.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM

25 posts, read 43,501 times
I grew up in NYC and moved to Philly over 25 years ago.
I was immediately impressed with the charm of the city. To me, Philly was like a suburb in comparison to NY. While it did take some adjusting at first, I really grew to love Philly and think of it as my home town more than NYC.
There really is a lot to do here.. A lot of art, music, restaraunts and culture.
And it's LESS CROWDED! Which was huge for me. I was always overwhelmed with just how many people I was surrounded by every day and everywhere you went.
I found it easier to make friends here and there are many close knit communities. I usually run into someone I know while walking out and about. That almost never happened in NYC.
Anyway, that's my take on it ; )

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 PM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post

Since I made that map, I've come to the conclusion that it would make more sense to have one giant state rather than splitting into two.
I would make NYC and Philly part of NJ too but have New Jersey annex all of the state of Delaware and most of Eastern Pennsylvania (any part of Pennsylvania from Reading and Scranton to the Delaware River) as well as Fairfield, Litchfield and New Haven counties of CT and any part of New York State south of the 42nd parallel north line.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 PM

275 posts, read 416,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
In all honesty I see both Philly and NYC as more "NJ" than the respective states they actually sit in. Multiple times over the years I've heard people say stuff like "NJ is the real NY State."

A state of Philly encompassing the metro would be awesome. Made this for a different thread a looong time ago:

I think for that to work politically you would need to keep NYC and PHL metro areas separate because such a configuration would basically ensure 4 Senate seats (PA & NY) go to Republicans and only two seats to Democrats (NJ). Whereas if you kept the metro areas separate it would distribute the Senate seats equally to Democrats and Republicans.

I actually think dividing up NJ, NY and PA would be popular idea, regardless of your political affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia