Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hopes, you are obviously a very well-researched and highly intelligent person, so I hope you don't mind if I pose this question: In order for parents to homeschool their children, do the parents themselves need to meet a specific criteria? What if a parent simply is not... very bright? Do they need to pass a test in order to be responsible for the education of their children?

I am a semi-retired teacher of Secondary English. I teach "Homebound" students for various districts throughout Delaware County. Students are placed on Homebound status if they are too sick to attend school or if they have been expelled. The districts pay me as a service to the students. I LOVE my job - but I would no sooner place some of the parents I encounter in charge of a student's lessons than I would throw their books in a fire. Get my meaning?
Soul, I'm not insulted by your question, and I'd love to answer it.

Technically, my son is on "homebound" right now for medical issues. He has been since November. I just didn't clarify when I first responded because our situation is irrelevant to the original poster's question. My knowledge base comes from homeschooling him a couple of years ago for a half a year via a charter cyber school.

In Pennsylvania, parents do have to meet certain criteria by having the ability to create and submit curriculums to their school districts superintendents. They then have to keep accurate records of ongoing learning. These records include a daily diary and work and tests the children completed. On top of it, the district monitors the student's progress via testing to make sure the student is actually learning. If a parent fails to meet these standards, the child is required by law to return to an approved educational setting.

Homeschooling advocates consider Pennsylvania a tough state because of these expectations. I personally think it only makes sense to monitor the progress of homeschooled children. Afterall, education is required by law.

To meet these challenges, many homeschooling parents have formed social and educational networks. Parents who have stronger abilities in certain subjects teach other people's children. This is usually done in more of a classroom setting at a church facility.

You'll be surprised to know that even though parents who homeschool generally do not have a degree in education, they are very successful at teaching their children. The one on one attention really makes a difference in learning.

I LOVE the charter cyber schools because there are actual teachers. They give assignements and tests, hold internet class meetings, instruct via email and the telephone when necessary. It's a great way blend homeschooling with public education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Soul, I'm not insulted by your question, and I'd love to answer it.

Technically, my son is on "homebound" right now for medical issues. He has been since November. I just didn't clarify when I first responded because our situation is irrelevant to the original poster's question. My knowledge base comes from homeschooling him a couple of years ago for a half a year via a charter cyber school.

In Pennsylvania, parents do have to meet certain criteria by having the ability to create and submit curriculums to their school districts superintendents. They then have to keep accurate records of ongoing learning. These records include a daily diary and work and tests the children completed. On top of it, the district monitors the student's progress via testing to make sure the student is actually learning. If a parent fails to meet these standards, the child is required by law to return to an approved educational setting.

Homeschooling advocates consider Pennsylvania a tough state because of these expectations. I personally think it only makes sense to monitor the progress of homeschooled children. Afterall, education is required by law.

To meet these challenges, many homeschooling parents have formed social and educational networks. Parents who have stronger abilities in certain subjects teach other people's children. This is usually done in more of a classroom setting at a church facility.

You'll be surprised to know that even though parents who homeschool generally do not have a degree in education, they are very successful at teaching their children. The one on one attention really makes a difference in learning.

I LOVE the charter cyber schools because there are actual teachers. They give assignements and tests, hold internet class meetings, instruct via email and the telephone when necessary. It's a great way blend homeschooling with public education.
Thanks for such a thorough response. I, too, am glad that the PA laws require monitoring. If certain standards are not met and approved, then I would think this would make things very difficult for any Homeschooled young adults who would like to attend college; they'd be utterly lost, I would think.

Again, I appreciate your precise explanation (I feel better now).

Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
AFK,

if you do consider SC I would love to share info about my lovely homestate, come to Charleston or my hometown of Mt Pleasant--homeschooling is great here and we have support groups

my parents homeschool us in the 80s

Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 PM

soul surv, lack of state monitoring doesnt stop homeschoolers from gong on to college, I was homeschooled and got into an Ivy League university and 90% of Homeschoolers get into University and score higher than private and public educated students.

also there is a University in Virginia that is for homeschoolers, Patrick Henry University, it is awesome

Old 02-04-2007, 11:51 PM

It's true that homeschooled students do better in college than students who were educated in a more traditional setting.

The reason for this is because homeschooled students learn via self study and that's what college is all about!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 AM

ak,

I agree with you about that statement on parents, I know plenty of public school teachers that I would never leave my children or anyone elses child with. They arent any brighter than uneducated parents, except they have learned the system well--not very intelligent.

Parents have a right to educate their children the way they see fit and homeschooling is the best way for a parent to impart values, work one on one with their child, add practical learning. Most of the Homeschooling parents, religious and secular, do such a great job their kids far exceed both private and public schools in testing.

my mother, a retired public school teacher, but who homeschooled me and my siblings, did an awesome job and we used the many programmed homeschool material

ABEKA is one.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
I agree with you about that statement on parents, I know plenty of public school teachers that I would never leave my children or anyone elses child with. They arent any brighter than uneducated parents, except they have learned the system well--not very intelligent.
I'm disappointed that you would resort to insulting someone.

Quote:
Parents have a right to educate their children the way they see fit and homeschooling is the best way for a parent to impart values, work one on one with their child, add practical learning. Most of the Homeschooling parents, religious and secular, do such a great job their kids far exceed both private and public schools in testing.
In Pennsylvania, parents only have the right to homeschool if their children succeed in the homeschool environment. Most homeschooled children are very successful. The state forces the ones who aren't successful back into the public or private school system. As a result, their test scores show up as students who were educated in public or private schools. Let's face it, not all parents are bright enough to homeschool successfully. It's just a fact.

Quote:
my mother, a retired public school teacher, but who homeschooled me and my siblings, did an awesome job and we used the many programmed homeschool material.
The materials aren't what makes for a great education though. It's who is teaching the material that matters most.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 PM

hopes it seems you were insulting parents, its hypocritical to then think others wont talk about teachers.

homeschoolers have to succeed in order to homeschool but students in say the failing Philadelphia schools have to stay and languish in those horrible schools.

thanks for letting me know it was even worse than I thought

Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
hopes it seems you were insulting parents, its hypocritical to then think others wont talk about teachers.
Are you having trouble with comprehension?

AKF took issue with soulsurv's post, not my post.

I'm a parent who homeschools too!

Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM

hopes if you look at what you posted before me, you would see what I am talkingabout. seems you are having a wee bit of a comp problem. You insulted parents who were homeschooling, and I stated that ps teachers arent much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: