Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm disappointed that you would resort to insulting someone.

In Pennsylvania, parents only have the right to homeschool if their children succeed in the homeschool environment. Most homeschooled children are very successful. The state forces the ones who aren't successful back into the public or private school system. As a result, their test scores show up as students who were educated in public or private schools. Let's face it, not all parents are bright enough to homeschool successfully. It's just a fact. .
THANK YOU!!! Our poster of the "IVY LEAGUE COLLEGE" must have majored in drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 08:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
You insulted parents who were homeschooling, and I stated that ps teachers arent much better.
I merely pointed out that SOME parents are not successful at teaching their children.

Quote:
thanks for letting me know it was even worse than I thought
I'm surprised you're not more confident about your teaching abilities. If your children are succeeding, there is no reason for you to be concerned.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
what concern are you talking about? we are talkign about homeschooling, i dont know what you are referring to--just not supporting the teachers in the ps thats all, but i am not going to play your insulting game

Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
what concern are you talking about? we are talkign about homeschooling, i dont know what you are referring to---
Your concern about the strict homeschooling laws in Pennsylvania being worse than you thought.

Quote:
.......but i am not going to play your insulting game
I was trying to reassure you that Pennsylvania law allows for your children to be homeschooled if they are succeeding.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Stay on topic.
Please.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Stay on topic.
Please.
Thank you. The topic is about the strictness of homeschooling laws in Pennsylvania. I was trying to explain that the laws aren't designed to prevent parents from homeschooling, but to ensure that homeschooled children succeed academically. Even with the strict laws, I've successfully homeschooled in Pennsylvania without any problems from the government.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 708,356 times
Default Easy Does It!

Okay,

Since I am the one that started this thread, I feel a moral obligation to STOP the flying insults.

For one, my questions were specifically about PA homeschool law. Soul, with all due respect, one can say the same thing about a lot of "teachers" that are teaching our kids in public schools/private schools etc. Just because you hold a degree and are allowed to get a "job" in a ps system does not make you a great "teacher"!! There are many reports of "teachers" who use the term loosely and merely go to school to collect a paycheck. These teachers could care less if my kid is actually learning anything. And before you fly off the handle again, I had at least couple of such "teachers" that were supposedly "educating" my kid while he was in public school. One of the main reasons I took him out of it!

The point is, you get good teachers as well as ones that are nothing more than an insult to humanity. And unfortunately, you also have parents that do love their kids and are awesome "teachers" and ones that could care less. It's unfair to say one set is better than the other. I did NOT particularly like the general comment you made in your earliest post about parents. I feel that Jack just responded to it and then was further instigated by Hopes...and yes, in all honesty at least in one of your posts, Hopes, you came across rather condescending.

For any of you who care, PA Board of Ed has answered my questions, and no contrary to what you may think, just because the requirements are "tougher" does not mean PA is a better State or that they care about the kids! If you actually believe that then that has to be one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard!

Jack,
Please continue to send me any information you'd like about SCarolina. I would love to look at it!

Old 02-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
Since I am the one that started this thread, I feel a moral obligation to STOP the flying insults.
Quote:
Soul, with all due respect, one can say the same thing about a lot of "teachers" that are teaching our kids in public schools/private schools etc. Just because you hold a degree and are allowed to get a "job" in a ps system does not make you a great "teacher"!! There are many reports of "teachers" who use the term loosely and merely go to school to collect a paycheck. These teachers could care less if my kid is actually learning anything. And before you fly off the handle again, I had at least couple of such "teachers" that were supposedly "educating" my kid while he was in public school. One of the main reasons I took him out of it!
That has nothing to do with PA homeschooling laws so it's off-topic.

Quote:
For any of you who care, PA Board of Ed has answered my questions, and no contrary to what you may think, just because the requirements are "tougher" does not mean PA is a better State or that they care about the kids! If you actually believe that then that has to be one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard!
I'll ignore your flying insult and point you in the direction of comparing performance statistics between Pennsylvania and South Carolina, and you'll see there is a HUGE difference. Pennsylvania has one of the best education systems in the country. Compared to how most other states peform, Pennsylvania is successfully teaching children. Homeschooling our children does not exclude us from meeting the requirements of 'no child left behind.' Pennsylvania has no problem applying that federal law to all students regardless of where they are schooled. The education laws in Pennsylvania are part of what makes one of the top education systems in the country. As a parent who homeschools, I'm glad the laws are more strict in Pennsylvania. I haven't had to jump through hoops to homeschool my son so I'm confused as to why outsiders find the Pennsylvania homeschooling laws so controversial.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:52 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
[quote=AKF;342106]Okay, Soul, with all due respect, one can say the same thing about a lot of "teachers" that are teaching our kids in public schools/private schools etc. Just because you hold a degree and are allowed to get a "job" in a ps system does not make you a great "teacher"!! There are many reports of "teachers" who use the term loosely and merely go to school to collect a paycheck. These teachers could care less if my kid is actually learning anything. And before you fly off the handle again, I had at least couple of such "teachers" that were supposedly "educating" my kid while he was in public school. One of the main reasons I took him out of it
QUOTE]

Understood, AKF. Didn't think I flew off any handle by merely asking a question. It's just that since you were talking about "legalities," I naturally wondered what the teaching criteria was - which is a perfectly legitimate question and on topic as well. I would think that, at the very least, a person with the title of "teacher" has studied the subject in question and has passed a performance test as well in order to be qualified. Now, whether or not that person is "talented," can reach out a grab a student's attention with enthusiasm and energy, that's another matter.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 708,356 times
Default Hopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That has nothing to do with PA homeschooling laws so it's off-topic.

I'll ignore your flying insult and point you in the direction of comparing performance statistics between Pennsylvania and South Carolina, and you'll see there is a HUGE difference. Pennsylvania has one of the best education systems in the country. Compared to how most other states peform, Pennsylvania is successfully teaching children. Homeschooling our children does not exclude us from meeting the requirements of 'no child left behind.' Pennsylvania has no problem applying that federal law to all students regardless of where they are schooled. The education laws in Pennsylvania are part of what makes one of the top education systems in the country. As a parent who homeschools, I'm glad the laws are more strict in Pennsylvania. I haven't had to jump through hoops to homeschool my son so I'm confused as to why outsiders find the Pennsylvania homeschooling laws so controversial.

I do believe I was asking questions about the PA homeschool law to understand the law and what the requirements were. It's great that YOU feel PA has a "top education system" this does not mean that someone else cannot question the PA law itself. For the record, I didn't state that I found the law to be "controversial", I merely was trying to find out what it was to begin with and it seemed to be a bit more rigid in comparison to the State where I come from, which tops even PA! What I find interesting is members of "your" Board of Ed seem to agree with me, more so than you...pretty ironic. If you're glad about the law, good for you. I don't think you are presenting a good image for your State by calling people "outsiders" and putting words in their mouth so to speak because they are trying to find out information to make good decisions about their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: