U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 650,966 times

Advertisements

[quote=soulsurv;343058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
Okay, Soul, with all due respect, one can say the same thing about a lot of "teachers" that are teaching our kids in public schools/private schools etc. Just because you hold a degree and are allowed to get a "job" in a ps system does not make you a great "teacher"!! There are many reports of "teachers" who use the term loosely and merely go to school to collect a paycheck. These teachers could care less if my kid is actually learning anything. And before you fly off the handle again, I had at least couple of such "teachers" that were supposedly "educating" my kid while he was in public school. One of the main reasons I took him out of it
QUOTE]

Understood, AKF. Didn't think I flew off any handle by merely asking a question. It's just that since you were talking about "legalities," I naturally wondered what the teaching criteria was - which is a perfectly legitimate question and on topic as well. I would think that, at the very least, a person with the title of "teacher" has studied the subject in question and has passed a performance test as well in order to be qualified. Now, whether or not that person is "talented," can reach out a grab a student's attention with enthusiasm and energy, that's another matter.
Soul come on! You and I both know that there are plenty of "teachers" who have made the "grade" and are now actually "teaching" our kids that have no business being in that profession! It has nothing to do with being "talented"! Never said anything about being whether you were on "topic" or not...I believe that was the moderator.

I think I am done here because this is starting to get pretty childish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 PM

43,012 posts, read 94,956,363 times
Quote:
I do believe I was asking questions about the PA homeschool law to understand the law and what the requirements were. It's great that YOU feel PA has a "top education system" this does not mean that someone else cannot question the PA law itself.
I believe a quality education system should require homeschooling parents to meet performance standards measured by the acedemic achievement of their children, and I support the state removing children from homeschooling if they do not succeed. That said, I also support parents removing their children from schools where their children do not succeed. Fortunately, the laws in Pennsylvania allow for that. Bottom line, the most important consideration and measurement should be the achievement of the students when it comes to education laws.

Quote:
What I find interesting is members of "your" Board of Ed seem to agree with me, more so than you...pretty ironic.
Since they get inquiries from homeschooling parents every day, I'm sure they've learned to make their jobs easier by simply agreeing with whatever the parents say. It would be senseless for them to argue about it.

Quote:
If you're glad about the law, good for you. I don't think you are presenting a good image for your State by calling people "outsiders" and putting words in their mouth so to speak because they are trying to find out information to make good decisions about their lives.
All I know is that I was attacked for agreeing that some parents aren't able to successfully teach their children. I can't understand why you are so angry. I wasn't referring to you anymore than you were referring to soul when you said that some teachers have no business teaching.

Quote:
Soul come on! You and I both know that there are plenty of "teachers" who have made the "grade" and are now actually "teaching" our kids that have no business being in that profession! It has nothing to do with being "talented"!
You and carolinajack took offense to statements made that SOME parents are unfit to homeschool (hence, the PA laws), but you both have no problem understanding that some teachers are unfit. That's illogical.

Quote:
Never said anything about being whether you were on "topic" or not...I believe that was the moderator.
I believe soul was merely pointing out how her comments were on topic for the moderator's benefit.

Quote:
I think I am done here because this is starting to get pretty childish!
I simply can't understand why you and carolinajack have taken the statements that SOME parents are unable to successfully homeschool their children so personally. If you're successfully teaching your children, you shouldn't be offended because you're not one of them. I'm sure soul isn't personally offended by the fact that some teachers have no business in the profession.

Quote:
For the record, I didn't state that I found the law to be "controversial", I merely was trying to find out what it was to begin with and it seemed to be a bit more rigid in comparison to the State where I come from, which tops even PA!
If you don't find it controversial, then why are you so offended, defensive, attacking, and arguing about it?

I came into this thread because I saw someone needed advice on homeschooling in Pennsylvania. Since I have homeschooled my son, I thought I could help. I am, afterall, the only person in this thread who has homeschooled in Pennsylvania. I'm sorry this thread became a hornet's nest. I'm glad you found the information you were trying to find.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
thanks AKF and I will. I am not an outsider to Pa I live in Philadelphia and this is one of the worse and failing school districts in the country, so I think you were right to ask about homeschooling alternatives as i was.

there are a few good private schools here, but for the average family they are pretty expensive. I havent found one that I like for my daughter--although Stratford Classic Christian Academy in South Jersey is pretty good. I havent met fellow Homeschoolers and I was hoping to homeschool if I didnt move back home to SC. But if the laws work against the family and remove students from their home, I dont think i will be able to homeschool here either.

my parents homeschooled us in Texas and Central America without any problems from the state, but it is a state by state law i guess. I dont think SC is as intrusive but I will have to check it out. If not my hometowns public schools share alot of the community values and or I know the private schools do.

thanks again AKF

Old 03-05-2007, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 30,485 times
Default PA laws

Don't know if you're still checking this forum, but I had the same questions before we moved to PA, so I had to reply.

First, Google "pauline" "PA" "Homeschool" and you'll find a great page that will answer all your questions. Not sure if I can post links here.

Here are the basics:

The cyber charters are public schools. If you don't want to get involved with the public schools, don't go that route. OTOH, they generally provide decent resources/therapies for kids with special needs (the local districts are not required to give homeschoolers anything).

One plus about PA--the local district has to allow your kid to participate in extracurriculars.

Here's what I have to do:

August: file affadavit (letter that needs to be notarized) telling them that I have a h.s. diploma and other general stuff.
Give them a list of our goals for the year (mine are super-general, along the lines of "continue to improve computation skills and understanding of mathematics" They can't refuse to allow you to hs just because they don't like your goals.
Give them the kids' immunization records and a note from the dr. that says they've been seen in the last year and are healthy.

Spring: schedule an evaluation with an approved evaluator (at my cost). The evaluator talks to the child and looks at our portfolio (below).
Order test for child in 3, 5, or (I think) 8th grade. The one I use costs $25 and I get the results in 2 weeks. Anyone other than the parent can administer--I have my mom do it. No test stress at Grandma's house!
Compile portfolio--just a few samples of work in each subject. Some people do more, some people do less.
Compile (supposed to be done throughout school year) list of books/resources used. Some districts want to know what you used every day...they aren't really supposed to insist on this, but my district does. I use free software to keep track.
Turn book list, samples, test results, note from evaluator into local district.

Another good thing about PA: there are ways to get a high school diploma, which some states don't offer.

HTH
Amanda

Old 03-05-2007, 05:12 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
thanks that was helpful, we have decided we have to move from PA and Philadelphia because of the schools and state govt intrusion, but it is nice to know someone did their homework.

we will use what my parents used to homeschool me and got me and sisters into ivy leagues adn good law schools, ABEKA it is a christian based hs program

Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Default Searching for a PA cyber charter school

I was wondering which cyber charter school has the best curriculum and the students are successful enough to go to a national college or university. Can someone give me an opinion or comment? It would be helpful if you would supply a list as well.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or