U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,851,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36 View Post
Thanks for everyones input. I was in Philly today for an interview and looked at acouple apartmets in different areas. One area I didn't hear anyone mention was southeast Philly below Center city. Real old school Italian neighborhood it seemed like, that almost reminded me of Bensonhurst in Brooklyn, where I lived when I was younger. I'm definitely going to look hard in this area since it should be cheaper since its outside of center city.
After that I looked at another place further west (down Mckean) and now know why I have heard people advise against West Philly (even though this was southwest I guess). Looked more like 'the hood' the further west you go from Broad. However the place I looked at was huge and dirt cheap. The last place I looked was in Fishtown and it was an area I would never move to, which is wierd because I had heard this was like the new 'artsy' neighborhood in philly. It was definitely not- in fact in all my time in NYC I don't think I ever walked through a worse looking area. Anyways, that's it, again, thanks for everyones advice.
What you refer to as "southeast Philly" would be Bella Vista (Queen Village is to the east). Both would be excellent choices. Close enough to walk to center city, but with a neighborhood feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 12:53 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,338,143 times
My bro lives in SW Philly. It has some good spots but those are few and far between. If you're still looking in Philly, Overbrook is another up and coming neighborhood but you have to watch out for the bad spots there also. Shouldn't be to hard to miss them though.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:49 PM

37 posts, read 175,032 times
Default Back again with another ?

I'm moving to either Manayunk or east falls. Love my bike and hate driving...would I be able to ride my bike from home in east falls or manayunk to work in Bala Cynwyd? Seems on mapquest that it would be cake- but can I ride over any of those bridges or are they simply expressways? Falls Bridge? City Ave. Bridge?

Old 02-18-2007, 07:28 PM

24 posts, read 145,494 times
Fox Chase remains a virtual island of light in an otherwise dim area. You'd love it. Its where a lot of firemen, cops and school teachers call home (since they have to live in the city). Roxborough and Andorra are nice as well as some areas of the northeast - stay above Cottman Ave.

Fox Chase is not *borderline* - puleeeze

Old 02-18-2007, 07:35 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,147,616 times
Do you plan to own or just rent? If you plan to stay for a while, you may want to own. I have seen some very affordable townhouses in Philly whos mortgage is cheaper than renting.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:06 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,770,661 times
Quote:
I'm moving to either Manayunk or east falls. Love my bike and hate driving...would I be able to ride my bike from home in east falls or manayunk to work in Bala Cynwyd? Seems on mapquest that it would be cake- but can I ride over any of those bridges or are they simply expressways? Falls Bridge? City Ave. Bridge?
You could use West River Drive, cut through Fairmount park and end up on Belmont Drive.

Also you can go to Belmont Ave./Green lane in Manayunk and go up through Bala Cynwd but its a pretty steep hill.

With the hills involved its going to be a tough trip no matter which way you go.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM

681 posts, read 1,347,214 times
You are talking about what is NOW called East Passyunk Crossing. That is where you should look. South of Washington between Broad and Front (but no further south than Wharton). Broad to Front will take in areas of Bella Vista nd Pennsport but they are safe and an easy commute to the city. You should be able to get a 1BR for about 800-900. You can get more if you try further south. Grad Hospital is OK too, just be careful of what I call "realtor" boundries. I grew up in Grays Ferry and the streets change on a dime. Sadly, there are only few "very good" ones left but you would have to travel through sketch areas to get to CC. Good part is, if you are on a good street, you can get a 3BR/ 1BA house for about $850/month.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 PM

388 posts, read 965,961 times
Quote:
I'm moving to either Manayunk or east falls. Love my bike and driving...would I be able to ride my bike from home in east falls or manayunk to work in Bala Cynwyd? Seems on mapquest that it would be cake- but can I ride over any of those bridges or are they simply expressways? Falls Bridge? City Ave. Bridge?

I think you can ride over both East Falls Bridge and the bridge going into Manayunk. I am pretty sure you can't ride over the Rt 1 bridge and the bridge that goes from Ridge to the Schuylkill Exp.

Checkout the Schuylkill river trail and Drive trail.

Last edited by thekish; 02-08-2010 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM

31 posts, read 165,062 times
just thought i'd mention that both of the neighborhhods you looked in, other than fishtown, are in south philly. there is no area referred to as "southeast philly," and southwest philly is further south and west

Old 02-08-2010, 03:54 PM

57,807 posts, read 76,763,748 times
i dont know that area but i think its all perspective. i got people posting from memphis and new orleans and sometimes even detroit, they say what problem-- come on in the water is fine, brin yo money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or