U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,476 times

Advertisements

Any updates on this topic? Very pertinent to my current search for a place to live. Considering a rental home in Wilmington as my PA choices fell thru or were taken. I never knew it would be so hard to find a nice house with a yard and garage. Forget trying to have pets in the equation. Paying for it thru the nose. Not a welcoming feeling coming to the area. I won't be living downtown as work will be by Philly Int'l Airport.

Anything new to consider now that some time has gone by for this thread? I found out that the NJ bridges will be increasing the toll another $1 if you are driving west-bound (apparently no toll on east-bound). Hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjob View Post
Any updates on this topic? Very pertinent to my current search for a place to live. Considering a rental home in Wilmington as my PA choices fell thru or were taken. I never knew it would be so hard to find a nice house with a yard and garage. Forget trying to have pets in the equation. Paying for it thru the nose. Not a welcoming feeling coming to the area. I won't be living downtown as work will be by Philly Int'l Airport.

Anything new to consider now that some time has gone by for this thread? I found out that the NJ bridges will be increasing the toll another $1 if you are driving west-bound (apparently no toll on east-bound). Hmmmm.
What is your preferred budget? How many BRs and BAs? The Philadelphia area, especially downtown, will indeed have a higher cost of living than in Wilmington and DE in general. It's the classic supply vs. demand.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,939,568 times
When we lived in Wilmington we knew many people who worked in Philadelphia (and vice-versa, for that matter). That's not really anything new to add, but just know that you'll be in good company. Don't forget to factor in the cost of all that driving in your final budget. You may want to try the Delaware forum, as there are probably Philly commuters on there who can give you some feedback on specific Wilmington-area neighborhoods and travel time.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,476 times
Thanks Tone/Uptown for responding and trying to add some thoughts to this topic. As it turned out, the last DE house I was looking at was too good to be true and actually a scam that has been going on between hotpads.com, craigslist, and other sites. I won't waste too much time on those details, but it revolves around leaches setting up fake ads. They find a real home and seller situation, and then pretend they are the actual seller who is also considering renting it out. Apparently they try to get you to send a deposit or first month's rent or more and run. Slime, pure slime. Lucky for me, I actually am using a realtor in the Philly area who is working his tail off to try to help me find something even though my time, money, and resources are limited. The scum in the fake ad never responded once they knew I had someone locally to check into things.

The commute would have been around 11-12 miles if taking a house on the north end of DE, so that wasn't too bad. Now the search continues and I'm hoping to get a house on the PA side of the PA/DE border.

I was only bringing up this topic again in case any new items have impacted the area or the situation involved. Something like an added tax or change in tax laws that made it more expensive, or maybe a toll was added to a portion of the highway (such as the new increase when heading westbound from Jersey, but oddly, not eastbound to Jersey via the bridges. ???).

I've tried to keep most of my home-work commutes under 10 miles over the last decade of moves and it hasn't been easy all the time. This round in moving to the Philadelphia area has been the worst situation I have faced so far. Not enough places in my criteria, budget, and distance ranges. When I narrow in on something, another app has beaten me to the property manager. I'm running out of time and $ to solve the issue, but still working on it.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,061,428 times
Stay south of Phila... better traffic situation vs 76 etc..

Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
If anyone is interested in information about Delaware, please post on the Delaware forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/delaware/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,255,116 times
Why is it odd that the toll is only collected when leaving New Jersey? That's how all the bridges are. The one way toll covers the round-trip. You have a lot to learn about the area. I suggest you spend some time here before you move, in case you end up hating it.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 AM

7,085 posts, read 8,214,674 times
^^^
Seems a bit harsh (my opinion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Why is it odd that the toll is only collected when leaving New Jersey? That's how all the bridges are.
Because it's not that way in every part of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You have a lot to learn about the area. I suggest you spend some time here before you move, in case you end up hating it.
Really? Because they asked a question about tolls? Anyone moving to a new area has a lot to learn, and toll structures are pretty low on the list. Besides, maybe s/he has already spent time here. Maybe their financial situation requires them to live here. Give the OP a break:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjob View Post
Not a welcoming feeling coming to the area.
I can assure you that this is a very welcoming area. I only moved here 6 months ago, but (typically) have found the people here very helpful and friendly. There are some great areas I feel would suit you just south of the Del line (Brandywine Hundred, Arden area, etc.) with easy access to PHL. To answer your question - there will be no tolls on 95 between Wilm and PHL. As already suggested, you need to post on the DE boards. More importantly, it seems you would have much better success with a realtor than with cragslist.

Best of luck

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-09-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or