U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 23,592 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I'm a senior in college (Penn State) and I will be graduating this May. I currently live in State College, PA and I'm from Hershey, PA. I've always wanted to relocate to the Delaware Valley as soon as I graduated. I love Philadelphia and the proximity that the Delaware Valley has to offer (not too far from my hometown, close to the shore/beach, home to all my Philadelphia sports teams, etc., etc.)

Although I'm not 100 % positive yet, I'm considering on living in Northern Delaware (I'm thinking about places such as Wilmington, Bear, or Claymont) and working in Philadelphia. I would most likely take public transportation (SEPTA regional rail) to the 30th street station. My reasoning for wanting to work in the city is that I will most likely be working in a hospital administration position and since Philadelphia has several famous hospitals (UPenn, Childrens Hospital of Phila, Jefferson, etc) I figure I would have plenty of options and hopefully a decent salary.

My question is (to any Del. residents who work in Philly) about the tax deductions from working in another state. I understand that I would have to pay the employee rate of the Phila. wage tax but I was wondering what other taxes that the state of PA takes out of paychecks for working in the state but living in another state. Does it make sense to live in Delaware and work in Philly?

(From the information that I could find it does. Property taxes in Philly and the burbs of PA seem much higher than Delaware...car insurance also seems a lot lower in Delaware as opposed to Southeastern PA and especially Philly.)

If anyone has any insight on this subject matter, I would REALLY appreciate any responses! Look forward to hearing from you and THANK YOU in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 AM

179 posts, read 991,992 times
actually state income taxes are higher in delaware than in pa. both states have reciprocity, meaning they collect taxes but then send them to the state the employee lives in. so you will pay pa taxes and the state will collect them but when you do you taxes they will be calculated as a de resident and you will probably owe money to de. property taxes are cheaper in de thats why people like to live there. if you are going to rent you might as well live in the philly area and save on the travel time. claymont and wilmington have some weaker areas so check them out throughly first.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:03 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
William did a nice job covering the taxes. Also keep in mind there is no state sales tax in Delaware, buy a car no tax, buy a plasma tv-no tax., buy anything -no tax The downfall is that its kind of a family state. Other than Newark(U of Del) which is a very rough commute if you are working in Philly, there isn't a whole lot happening for a recent college grad.

I think you would be better off living in Pa. West Chester is a great college town although much smaller than State College. University City, Manayunk and the Main Line( 1/2 dozen colleges) all seem to be much better fits than Claymont,Wilmington or Bear. Thats just my opnion.

Good luck

Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 PM

24 posts, read 145,497 times
A run from Bear to Philly means a drive to Wilmington and about 40 minutes on the R2. All told an hour+ commute. I know lots of Philly workers living in Del. OK but there are better options.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM

728 posts, read 1,627,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
buy a car no tax
This is not true, it's one of the only things they do tax on.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Thanks for bumping an ancient thread...

Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
So what if the thread is old? Old information can be useful to others who are seeking the same information.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:29 AM

728 posts, read 1,627,146 times
Thats how I stumbled upon it. Guess we could do away with Libraries with that mentality. Oh wait they tried that already in Philly.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 AM

4 posts, read 23,876 times
So what is Dover like? I am seriously considering a move to Dover..for school (DSU) and work. I am in my early 30s...no children..sexy...and single. What is life like there for someone my age?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:51 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
SnS, you should probably post this in the Delaware forum. Dover isn't really considered part of the Philadelphia metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or