Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM

16 posts, read 81,469 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are living in corporate housing in Plymouth Meeting, PA (where I'll be working). My husband will be working in King of Prussia. Where should we buy a home? I've heard a ton of great things about West Chester, but I'm concerned about the commute. What do you think of Blue Bell, Fort Washington, Phoenixville and Collegville? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
All good options. Honestly, it's hard to go wrong in that area, with the exception of some parts of Norristown. You also might want to consider the areas right next to your respective jobs, Upper/Lower Merion, Plymouth, and Whitemarsh townships are all nice. Your decision really depends on what kind of atmosphere you're looking for and what price range you can afford.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:16 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times
Yes the commute to King of Prussia from WC would be rough. The commute from Phoenixville or Collegeville would be not bad, a little slow down 422 but it's short mileage. I LOVE the whole Phoenixville/Collegeville area. Phoenixville has a much nicer "downtown" area that is trendy and cool, with tons of events always going on for families, but I would consider Spring-Ford or Perk Valley schools better than Phoenixville. Methacton schools are the best in the area but you pay more for older houses. Lower Merion is also a good option if you can afford it....great schools and area but very pricey. Steer clear of Norristown schools. Upper Merion schools are so-so...not really sure about them.

There is an AWESOME new Town Center upscale shopping area going in a the intersection of 422 and Rt 29, which is smack in between Phoenixville and Collegeville. That area is called Upper Providence and has very low taxes because of the huge drug companies there, but it has good schools and is overall a really nice area.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
You do not want the commute up and down 422 at rush hour - it is awful.

Any of the other areas you and others have mentioned would be preferable to West Chester, Collegeville and Phoenixville due to their distance from Plymouth Meeting and the routes you would have to endure to get there.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 AM

692 posts, read 2,351,350 times
I would lean towards the Ft Washington area - more so Montgomeryville/Ambler/Lansdale.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
You do not want the commute up and down 422 at rush hour - it is awful.

Any of the other areas you and others have mentioned would be preferable to West Chester, Collegeville and Phoenixville due to their distance from Plymouth Meeting and the routes you would have to endure to get there.
Did you mean 202 from WC? That's awful and further out. KOP down 422 from Pville or Collegeville is such a short distance that the backup will only delay you 10-15 minutes. It moves, it's not bad. You just don't want to be coming from further up 422, like Limerick or Pottstown. From Pville you have the Rt 23 option into KOP but that is super slow too, I personally preferred 422.

What you REALLY don't want to do is take 422 from anywhere into Philly. Now THAT's a long commute.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM

How long has it been since you lived in the area? With the housing boom out that way that road is becoming a parking lot at rush hour.

It used to add a half hour to my commute going in just to get from the 202/422 exchange to the Royersford exit...and that was 7 years ago!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 AM

Uh, it's been a month since I moved out of Upper Prov. Oh, and the OP said her husband would be commuting to KOP, not Plymouth Meeting.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Upper Providence? Then how can you comment on the commute up and down 422? Unless you've done it for a while, you can't really have a good appreciation for what a pain it is and how bad it can get.

Plymouth Meeting or KOP I wouldn't want to make that drive up 422 on a regular basis...

Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimifio View Post
Hello. We are living in corporate housing in Plymouth Meeting, PA (where I'll be working). My husband will be working in King of Prussia. Where should we buy a home?
Do you like Plymouth Meeting or Whitemarsh Township? If so, either seems like a no-brainer to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia