U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 42,951 times

Advertisements

Well, after much research thru this site (I love it) I have an offer to relocate to the Downingtown Pa area from Milwaukee WI for work purposes. I really dont know that much about the area, per se, and am looking for some local info from real people, not just whats been posted in the past. mY offer includes housing for the first 6 months in this area, so thats not an issue. but i really dont know much about the area. I hear that its a high traffic area so i am wondering about transportation options. i know the SEPTA runs in the area but have no idea how convienent it is to use. Is it mostly urban? I am an avid walker would like to know if ill get run over ! Any and all info would be greatly appreciated so i can make an informed decision in a timely fashion.

Last edited by steelboss; 09-10-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: addition and spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 03:50 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,811,465 times
Philly in general does have a lot of traffic, but if you live in Downingtown and work in DOwngingtown you won't have a problem. You can also live in Exton and Chester Springs and not have a problem. I don't know your family situation, but I like Chester Springs for family. I would probably live in Exton over Downingtown, but that is just me. We rented an apartment in Thorndale (next to Downingtown) while our home was being built and it was okay-a little run down of an area, but that is what you get with an older town.
West Chester would be great if you are single and like to go to the bars and the drive shouldn't be bad, although it depends what time you leave and such. 422 can be a nightmare, as can 202
Good luck and congrats on the job offer. 6 months housing is a great deal!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks !!! it seems rather urban, do they have things like walking trails ??? as i said, im an avid walker and enjoy being able to go here and there without always getting in the car. Any thoughts ???

Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 PM

13,008 posts, read 30,721,440 times
Downingtown is far from urban. We lived there quite a while ago but it's pretty much an old town that has been built up with housing sprawl. You won't find any buildings more then a few stories high on main street. If you get hit by a car it's because many neighborhoods (i.e. developments) don't have sidewalks and if you venture out, you'll find the roads are generally narrow. If you buy a house in town, you'll be in sidewalk territory. Here's a website with parks listed: Downingtown Borough: Parks System (http://www.downingtown.org/parks/parks.asp - broken link)

Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,811,465 times
As toobusy said, not urban at all. I think the closet thing you will get to that without going to far away from Downingtown is West Chester. There are other urban spots, but I think the commute would kill you. West Chester has a good "dowtown" and a good night life.
As for walking trails...not so much. Not like where I live now in Virginia.
Good luck. YOu may want to contact a Realtor and see if they can show you some nice rental properties in a more urban area.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,306,460 times
As twinmma and Toobusy have noted if you are looking for a high traffic area you will probably want to move east of Downingtown where there are more things to do. If you like a country atmosphere with peace and quiet the Downingtown area and its surroundings are full of it.

Chester Springs/Exton communities are very nice.

This is just me but if I were working in Downingtown I'd settle in the West Chester area or Chester Springs.

Here is a link for Ridley Creek State Park that has 50 miles of hiking trails(watch out for the ticks especially if you go off the paved trails) This park is just to the east of West Chester and Westtown two great communities
to live.About 20-30 minute drive to Downingtown.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statePar...dleycreek.aspx
Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,163,956 times
If you like more wooded areas moving further west towards Caln Twp gets you that. But if you need good public schools, make sure you stay in the Downingtown district. And Thorndale is not run down - there is a brand spankin new regional rail station, several shopping centers and all the other stuff you could want close by...if you want Wegman's drive the 10 minutes to Downingtown.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,538,415 times
Are you from the city of Milwaukee or the suburbs?

Most of the densely packed suburban areas end about 10 miles out from Center City. After that you just get a few dense corridors like the Main Line that extend out a little further.

Downingtown is 35 miles from Center City so it's definitely not urban. Just older towns, farms, and subdivisions.

If you're looking for a walkable town to stroll around I would say check out Paoli, Phoenixville or Royersford. They're all 15 miles or less to Downingtown and the traffic shouldn't be too bad as most other people would be headed towards KOP, Plymouth Meeting, etc.

SEPTA Regional Rail covers a good deal of the suburbs but it would only really work for you if you could walk to work from the station or if there was a shuttle bus, as many stations on the R5 do tend to have these days.

Also, there is a growing regional trail network for walking/cycling. Montgomery County is the most advanced in that regard but Chester Co. has really ambitious plans.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM

44 posts, read 273,998 times
Default Walking trails in Downingtown

How about Struble Lake? They have walking trails. And how about Kerr Park, I'm sure they do also. Check them out.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM

I am fortunate enough to have accomodations for at least the first 6 months located just over one mile from my place of employment. Once i saw this I began thinking if i really needed to worry (at least as much) about having a car. according to mapquest i visually can walk there but its not by a straight line. the Exton bypass would be a straight shot but im assuming its not there for foot traffic. Its just a though with all the expenses involved in have a car these days !!! (sigh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia