Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 PM

53 posts, read 191,546 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating to Philly leaving my old husband, house, and job behind. It will be me and the dogs. I don't know the area that well and appreciate any advice on neighborhoods I should focus on. I am looking for a charming older house/twin in the burbs or row home in the city. I need a backyard, downtown area with quaint shops, dining, nearby farmer's market, etc. I'd like to walk to the train in town and go directly to Center City, ideally in 20 min or less, but could go 30 min if I had to. My budget is $350-$450k... I prefer upscale but not snobby towns where I can meet and make new friends and where it is safe. All advice welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by Hooper's Judge; 09-12-2008 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times
Media is it...

Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper's Judge View Post
Hi, I am relocating to Philly leaving my old husband, house, and job behind. It will be me and the dogs. I don't know the area that well and appreciate any advice on neighborhoods I should focus on. I am looking for a charming older house/twin in the burbs or row home in the city. I need a backyard, downtown area with quaint shops, dining, nearby farmer's market, etc. I'd like to walk to the train in town and go directly to Center City, ideally in 20 min or less, but could go 30 min if I had to. My budget is $350-$450k... I prefer upscale but not snobby towns where I can meet and make new friends and where it is safe. All advice welcome. Thank you!
I strongly recommend you look at the towns on the patco train line in South Jersey - Collingswood, Haddon Twp (Westmont), Haddonfield - upscale - could have a snob factor. It's only 10 minutes to center city, walk to the train, more access to the NE corridor, yard for the dogs, farmers markets, more to do, including restaurants and the Jersey shore. Collingswood is undergoing a major transformation and a great long term investment IMO. If you are willing to drive a short distance to the train, check out Haddon Heights, Voorhees and Cherry Hill. Excellent towns. Good luck.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 09-13-2008 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Media is a great little town, but I think Haddonfield might be the place for you. Media is the county seat of Delaware County. It has the train into Philly, trolley, and bus line. During the day it is a bustling town. There have been more restaurants coming into the area in recent years, but I remember when there was a nice selection of stores. They do have a Trader Joes and while not in walking distance, Booth's Corner is a large farmers market. The downside of Media, unless something has changed, is some of the areas have higher crime. Actually Moylan and Rose Valley might also work for you. But, I would definitely check out Haddonfield.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 AM

183 posts, read 631,961 times
Check out Glenside, Jenkintown, and Ambler in Montgomery County. All have the walk to stores thing, and you can find a home within easy walking distance of a train station. If you want more of a small town feel head to Yardley in Bucks County.
Ambler might be the best. The downtown there has been on the upswing (some cool bars and restaurants, and a few shops), and the train station is right off Main St. Your budget will buy terrific housing there.
Good luck to you.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Narberth

Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM

692 posts, read 2,351,544 times
in Bucks County you would enjoy Newtown or Yardley. in NJ you would enjoy Haddonfield/Collingswood.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Wayne,Paoli,St Davids,Berwyn,Bryn Mawr,Haverford,Rosemont,Ardmore,Wynnewood.

Main Line

Good luck

Old 09-13-2008, 10:00 AM

96 posts, read 360,616 times
Don't discount moving into the city. Queen Village and Fairmount both have the farmers markets, dog friendly, quaint houses, price range, walk/septa to Center City that you are looking for.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:28 AM

28 posts, read 135,141 times
I second the mltimes post. Mt. Airy, Germantown, Chestnut Hill, etc. are also options in the NW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia