Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times

Advertisements

I second the previous poster...you're both right. I experienced both very liberal and very conservative people in the Lehigh Valley. Most people I knew there lived in new, upper income neighborhoods. Parkson HS is really fantastic, although I'm not sure how it compares to Philly burb schools which I am partial to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
To the OP - if you are commuting to Center City and want to get to work in 45 minutes or less Most places in Chester Co. are well beyond that as is Lehigh Co. and most of Bucks & Montgomery north of the PA Turnpike. I would look in northern Delaware Co. and in eastern Montgomery just north of the city. I think that's where you'll find the best deals.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 PM

53 posts, read 191,524 times
I was lured to Allentown PA by the low housing cost. I hated it there. My experience was that there was no work, the area was a junky (again my opinion), and the people not overly friendly. I am sure there are people who love it there but this was not my experience.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Is it possible; 4 bed, 2 bath, > $250k house, top notch public schools, commutable to Philly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbd6805 View Post
Is it possible to to find such a place near Philly? I think the city itself would be too expensive for us. Plus we enjoy the outdoors so a place with parks and outdoor recreation would be nice. Any suburbs fit the bill or shoud we stick to considering the Midwest?

When I say commutable I mean around 30 - 45 mins.

Our kids our young so schools from elem and up are important.

DH could also put in for Allentown - is that a better choice for us considering our modest budget?

Forgot to mention, we'd like a decent yard (no townhomes).

Thanks so much and look forward to your suggestions. I have no idea where to start looking so am hoping for some town names so I can get on a few real estate websites and see if its something we like or not.
I thought it might be a good idea to repost the question.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,986 times
Default Check out Springfield Township, Montgomery County

Right next to the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia, easy access to train lines into Center City, great, small public school system, and plenty of 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom homes with big lots on the former grounds of the Whitemarsh Hall estate in Wyndmoor.

They aren't the prettiest homes ever, but they are solid and the lots are beautiful. You can still get them for $259,000, etc.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:07 PM

88 posts, read 327,418 times
Wow! What passionate responses!

Thank you so much those of you who have given names of towns for me to google and look up. Also, those you have put down school district suggestions and commute times - big thanks to you too!!

I should have mentioned in the original post that my husband has to drive to work so access to train lines is only slightly important (if I want to go to the city myself) but not top priority.

Thanks and dare I say, keep it coming!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM

183 posts, read 631,913 times
If he has to drive into the city, I'd recommend Chestnut Hill, Media, or Consohocken. These are charming towns closer to the city (Chestnut Hill is actually in the city) and you will find older or attached homes in your price range.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 PM

183 posts, read 631,913 times
Oh just remembered, another great option is Roxborough - plenty of good housing in your price range, easy drive into the city.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
And if you decide to look in the Lehigh Valley, the small towns that many newcomers choose are Center Valley/Coopersburg (Southern Lehigh School District), Emmaus/Macungie (East Penn School District), Parts of Whitehall and parts of Allentown (Parkland School District), Nazareth (Nazareth School District) and Hellertown (Saucon Valley School District). It seems the majority of new people are choosing Emmaus and Macungie for the schools and housing costs.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 12,498 times
Smile Relocating

Have you considered Berks County? We are more like 1 hour from Philly, but that price range and what you want is here. If you want me to set up a free search for you on the local MLS via an e-mail address just let me know. In the meantime, if you are on Moderator Cut: Real estate advertising check out areas such as Douglassville, Pottstown, in this area Reading is the city, however the zip code dictates the desired area, so try 19606, 19607,19605, I think you'll be surprised with what you get for the money.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-19-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia