Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times

Advertisements

if i say philly sucks for a reason...i have the right to say it.

its an opinion...and **** you if you think i'm wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i didn't wanna go there, but 2-3 ****in *******s made me go there..

philly is cool city but the 2-3 jackasses need to discuss...why.....they are so insecure..

Old 09-20-2008, 10:22 AM

463 posts, read 1,291,911 times
I have been thinking about moving to the Philly area....don't have the job yet, but have a upcoming interview.
But when I read all of the negative comments about Philly it makes me wonder.
I know from personal experience that every city has their good and bad qualities, but it seems like the majority of people on here are very negative about this city.
Is there anyone on here that thinks these people are going way over the top on their comments ? Do the great things about your city out way the negative things ?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I have been thinking about moving to the Philly area....don't have the job yet, but have a upcoming interview.
But when I read all of the negative comments about Philly it makes me wonder.
I know from personal experience that every city has their good and bad qualities, but it seems like the majority of people on here are very negative about this city.
Is there anyone on here that thinks these people are going way over the top on their comments ? Do the great things about your city out way the negative things ?
Crime is so exaggerated here. Just like any other major city in America an average person who doesn't live in da 'hood have not much to worry about. Assumming you have no business in the da "hood like purchasing nose candy at 1am.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:27 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Scubashawn,

Philly and the surrounding metro, like greater Atlanta and other areas, has its share of benefits and challenges, the definition of which can vary depending on one's life experience and goals.

If you read all ten pages of this long-running thread, you'll see a lot more positive comments about the city. While I have my reasons for leaving, I would not discourage anyone from moving there, especially if they are coming in prepared for what to expect.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
Funny Ive been saying that about DC for years. I love the place but theres just this weird emptiness about it. Boston people are arrogant but Philly people can get the same way, just in golf polos and extremely bad clothing styles instead of the New England J Crew and sailing gear. Both cities - all they care about is their sports teams. Its ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Thank you.

Grew up in and around NYC, great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.
Chicago is awesome. Love it. Not sure if the winters are worth it, though.
SF, amazing, but everybody knows it and that's why I could never afford it.
DC, nice looking town but it has no soul. And for people who care it's far more dangerous than Philly.
Boston is also a great place to visit but full of snobs, too cold, too expensive, and the bars close too early.

Hahaha now you have it twisted my friend. Staten Island has a dump but the other half actually has neighborhoods with gorgeous old houses, great views, and price tags that exceed Philly. It alone has more livable middle class areas than all of Philadelphia. On top of that the SIers (disrespected by other NYers) are more interesting characters than Philadelphians. Queens, aside from a handful of neighborhoods is an extremely nice place. The Bronx has neighborhoods that look like PA's Main Line. You can go to the edge of the Bronx and see a bunch of sailboats in the sound off City Island during the summer. The whole city is surrounded by water its nice. All they have in Philly is that dirty Delaware and the SKEUUUKILL river. The ghettos in New York actually often have nice homes and dont look like the dilapidated 2 story $25k homes with burned out blocks you see in North Philly. There are only a handful of middle class areas to live in Philly where as New York

It is a known fact the real partying in the Philadelphia region takes place in Atlantic City, not Philadelphia. Philadelphia shuts down at 2am remember that.

Not to mention the endless number of influential americans who came from these "dumps". Who has Philadelphia produced? (besides criminals) Oh thats right Rocky Balboa America's best boxer. Frank Sinatra never sang "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania", no significant artist raps, sings, talks about Philadelphia

But just throw all that obviousness away for a minute and we will even up the score. The real reason why NY will always be better is the people. Philadelphia has THE WORST ACCENT IN AMERICA. Period. Plus, for its size, Philadelphia is the most insular city in the country. It is supposed to be a world class city and all the people care about is Eagles football and arguing what a sandwich on a long roll is called. If you tell them where you are from or wear an out of town piece of clothing (especially NY) they focus all their energy on that instead of actually having good conversation. Its sad.

So Rising Son, please enlighten me as to why Philadelphia is one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
You fools are a waste of life energy. Philadelphia is one of the best cities in the United States. I've been to so many different cities but Philadelphia will always be my favorite. I've been living in New York City for the past 2 and a half years and I still don't think its the same as Philly. The only part of New York City thats really as "Great" as some of you claim is Manhattan. Other than that, Queens is boring, The Bronx has nothing special save for the Zoo, Staten Island is a dump. Brooklyn is the only other borough worth mentioning, but I wouldn't say that its all that special. Contrary to popular belief NYC DOES NOT stay open 24/7 as many shops even in Manhattan close around 8 or 9. The cost of living is ridiculous. Sure there are plenty of things to do in New York, but its the same type of **** you can do in Philly. Bars, Clubs, restaurants, etc. etc. The fact that NYC is BIG doesn't make it better.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 AM

71 posts, read 337,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
People with an agenda never concern themselves with facts. The facts are that all of these cities are more dangerous than Philadelphia . . .

St. Louis, MO
Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Compton, CA
Camden, NJ
Birmingham, AL
Cleveland, OH
Oakland, CA
Youngstown, OH
Gary, IN
Richmond, CA
Baltimore, MD
Memphis, TN
Trenton, NJ
Richmond, VA
Kansas City, MO
Atlanta, GA
Cincinnati, OH
Washington, DC
North Charleston, SC
Reading, PA
Newark, NJ
Little Rock, AR
San Bernardino, CA
Orlando, FL
Let me start out by saying that most of the cities you have on this list shouldn't be compared with Philadelphia, simply because of the population size. I found the list that you looked at, and that is overall.

If you look below that list, there is a section comparing cities with a population of 500,000 or more, where Philadelphia is ranked #5, only under Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, and DC.
Here's the site if anyone wants to see:
City Crime Rankings by Population Group

I want to continue my argument about your list by telling you that I lived in Richmond, VA for 4 years (in a couple different places) and learned the area quite well. Although it had its really bad places that everyone knew to stay away from, there were still places you could go and feel safe. It has absolutely NO comparison to Philadelphia WHATSOEVER. Richmond is also much more suburban, as I imagine many other cities on your list are. That means they are small, and have sections where crime is large.

I currently live in Philadelphia (and hate me if you must) I hate it here. I live in Rittenhouse Square, after doing countless amounts of research on finding the safest place to live, while being close to shopping and entertainment. First few days it was exciting, seeing all the people, being in a city again. [Background--I was born in NY, all my family is in NY and I have always loved NYC, and if rent had been cheaper, would be living there now. Richmond feels more like a suburb than anything, so I actually laugh when people even try to compare it to major cities.] But my excitement soon wore off. As soon as I step outside it smells like pee, vomit, or worse. There are homeless people sleeping in front of some of the most expensive apartment buildings in the city, which I think the people paying for those places would be outraged. I get harrassed every time I go to CVS or even want to sit in the park, and no one does anything. There is no enforcement to keep these homeless people from being aggressive--They follow you, scream at you when you won't give them money, and these are in the richest neighborhoods. What exactly are these people paying for?!?

The sad thing about this city is that I do love the architecture and some of the sites. I thoroughly enjoyed the art museum, and Old City is quite nice. Except for the people. It is clear that the corruption in this city outweighs the possibility of change. I feel like this city is falling apart, and everyone here is so defensive, they just quickly compare other cities and say, hey, at least we're not like them. But why don't you stop looking at other cities and look at your own. This city needs some major help. It is a wasteland lacking in opportunity unless you are already rich.

Sorry to those who disagree, but this is just what I've seen over the past few months. I have lived in a lot of places, and by far this is the worst and most depressing place I have ever lived.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:25 AM

46 posts, read 111,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ummm... don't Giants/Jets fans do the same thing? One could also say that those teams are always "out of town" since they play their "home" games in Jersey.
Not enough room in NY?

Old 09-21-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
if i say philly sucks for a reason...i have the right to say it.

its an opinion...and **** you if you think i'm wrong...
ok John

Old 09-21-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
You fools are a waste of life energy. Philadelphia is one of the best cities in the United States. I've been to so many different cities but Philadelphia will always be my favorite. I've been living in New York City for the past 2 and a half years and I still don't think its the same as Philly. The only part of New York City thats really as "Great" as some of you claim is Manhattan. Other than that, Queens is boring, The Bronx has nothing special save for the Zoo, Staten Island is a dump. Brooklyn is the only other borough worth mentioning, but I wouldn't say that its all that special. Contrary to popular belief NYC DOES NOT stay open 24/7 as many shops even in Manhattan close around 8 or 9. The cost of living is ridiculous. Sure there are plenty of things to do in New York, but its the same type of **** you can do in Philly. Bars, Clubs, restaurants, etc. etc. The fact that NYC is BIG doesn't make it better.
Yes, true indeed,thankyou somebody's gettin real. And I wish people stop comparing the two cities,really,the topic is getting boring. Start comparing chicago and NYC. Personally I like NYC better over second city chicago any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia