U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBAL LIVE View Post
ok John
anytime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,443,110 times
Reputation: 831
[quote=DITC;5353887]Funny Ive been saying that about DC for years. I love the place but theres just this weird emptiness about it. Boston people are arrogant but Philly people can get the same way, just in golf polos and extremely bad clothing styles instead of the New England J Crew and sailing gear. Both cities - all they care about is their sports teams. Its ridiculous.






Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Hahaha now you have it twisted my friend. Staten Island has a dump but the other half actually has neighborhoods with gorgeous old houses, great views, and price tags that exceed Philly. It alone has more livable middle class areas than all of Philadelphia. On top of that the SIers (disrespected by other NYers) are more interesting characters than Philadelphians. Queens, aside from a handful of neighborhoods is an extremely nice place. The Bronx has neighborhoods that look like PA's Main Line. You can go to the edge of the Bronx and see a bunch of sailboats in the sound off City Island during the summer. The whole city is surrounded by water its nice. All they have in Philly is that dirty Delaware and the SKEUUUKILL river. The ghettos in New York actually often have nice homes and dont look like the dilapidated 2 story $25k homes with burned out blocks you see in North Philly. There are only a handful of middle class areas to live in Philly where as New York..
The ghettos in NY NOW often have nice homes. It wasnt alwasy that way trust and believe. North Philly is burnt out... but so was half of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx in the 80's and 90's. I know Philly is behind on the times as far and gentrifying is concerned but NYC was not always Utopia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
It is a known fact the real partying in the Philadelphia region takes place in Atlantic City, not Philadelphia. Philadelphia shuts down at 2am remember that..
Its a fact? No with new casinos coming to town, pretty soon no one with give AC a second glance. Philly will be bringing in its own revenue believe that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Not to mention the endless number of influential americans who came from these "dumps". Who has Philadelphia produced? (besides criminals) Oh thats right Rocky Balboa America's best boxer. Frank Sinatra never sang "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania", no significant artist raps, sings, talks about Philadelphia .
No one sings about Philly. No one sings about Boston, DC,Bmore and mostly every other city in the country safe for SF, Chicago, ATL... whats your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
But just throw all that obviousness away for a minute and we will even up the score. The real reason why NY will always be better is the people. Philadelphia has THE WORST ACCENT IN AMERICA. Period. Plus, for its size, Philadelphia is the most insular city in the country. It is supposed to be a world class city and all the people care about is Eagles football and arguing what a sandwich on a long roll is called. If you tell them where you are from or wear an out of town piece of clothing (especially NY) they focus all their energy on that instead of actually having good conversation. Its sad..
I agree that NYC definitely has a betterr variety of people. But you have it all wrong with the accent peice. Most people do not know that Philly even has an accent let a lone the worst accent in the country. NY is infamous for having the accent where the words are drawn out. Ask any southerner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
So Rising Son, please enlighten me as to why Philadelphia is one of the best.
It may not be much to you now but it helped build this country. That alone should give Philly some credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 PM
 
46 posts, read 102,151 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
anytime
only Philadelphians can say we suck ,everybody else not from here sayin that, watch out!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 PM
 
46 posts, read 102,151 times
Reputation: 11
[quote=*Sweetkisses*;5364792]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Funny Ive been saying that about DC for years. I love the place but theres just this weird emptiness about it. Boston people are arrogant but Philly people can get the same way, just in golf polos and extremely bad clothing styles instead of the New England J Crew and sailing gear. Both cities - all they care about is their sports teams. Its ridiculous.







The ghettos in NY NOW often have nice homes. It wasnt alwasy that way trust and believe. North Philly is burnt out... but so was half of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx in the 80's and 90's. I know Philly is behind on the times as far and gentrifying is concerned but NYC was not always Utopia.


Its a fact? No with new casinos coming to town, pretty soon no one with give AC a second glance. Philly will be bringing in its own revenue believe that.


No one sings about Philly. No one sings about Boston, DC,Bmore and mostly every other city in the country safe for SF, Chicago, ATL... whats your point?



I agree that NYC definitely has a betterr variety of people. But you have it all wrong with the accent peice. Most people do not know that Philly even has an accent let a lone the worst accent in the country. NY is infamous for having the accent where the words are drawn out. Ask any southerner.



It may not be much to you now but it helped build this country. That alone should give Philly some credit.
Yea...we started this shi***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Madison Township (Moscow), Lackawanna County
69 posts, read 201,427 times
Reputation: 33
Does anybody acutally love Philadelphia? Well, yes - I do. I have lived in New York City, suburban Mercer County, NJ and in the Denver, Colorado area. Right now I live in Bucks County - outside of Philly. We have had six good years here, and we are very happy. My kids (the two older ones) went to good schools, and the youngest still goes (to Middle School) and he is doing great. The traffic can get bad sometimes, but in what big city DOESN'T it get that way? The crime is way overblown. I was mugged in Willow Grove, which is supposed to be so great...and we go to independent wrestling shows in the city and get out very late and nothing has EVER happened during one of these trips. I wish the cost of living wasn't so high here, but would I move away? No, not at all. Not even to go back to Denver, which is the CLOSEST place to God's country on this planet.
And yes, I like the Eagles too - but the love this city has for that team is nuts, way over the top. Like nothing I have EVER seen before. I work in a suburban hospital right outside the city line with a great, diverse population of all different kinds of people - different kinds of patients, too. It's wonderful, everyone seems to get along great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2008, 09:20 PM
 
46 posts, read 102,151 times
Reputation: 11
When are they finally going to build the freakin roosevelt blvd subway,...when I turn over in my grave? they might really need to soon with gas prices projected to go even higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 AM
 
718 posts, read 2,148,021 times
Reputation: 363
No these buildings/rowhomes have literally been standing since they were built. There may have been crime going on inside, maybe the kitchens were worn out pre-yuppification, but the exteriors were always nice. Compared to Philadelphia, New York has a lower rate of empty blocks. And this is coming from someone who is pro-middle class and anti gentrification.

The NY accent is secretly loved by most people in the country, though they often wont admit it. You cant tell me OUUU LETTS GET A HOUUUGGIE is not an accent because it is. How come in the Rocky series many actors have a New York accent?

If you think I am some clueless idiot who doesnt know history, then you got it twisted. Ive seen independence hall, the liberty bell, been to the top of city hall. Philadelphia had America's first stock exchange and currently has the options exchange with the 4th most daily volume in the US, thats if you even know what an option is. I like Philadelphia a lot, along with various other US cities. Why do you think I come read and comment in here?

It just wont be New York ever due to size and modern history. Instead of people having an inferiority complex and hating NY/trying to gentrify Philly to compete with NY, why dont they just focus on being Philly and making Philly better for its own residents. When I come visit Philly its because I want to be in Phlly, and I frankly dont want to hear people's laundry list of hate items about NY, because thats usually what happens. Some guy was at the Yankee game tonight with a bright red Phillies shirt. You think we gave him a hard time? No. This hate is a huge turn off and doesnt make you a better fan/city resident.


Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post

The ghettos in NY NOW often have nice homes. It wasnt alwasy that way trust and believe. North Philly is burnt out... but so was half of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx in the 80's and 90's. I know Philly is behind on the times as far and gentrifying is concerned but NYC was not always Utopia.


Its a fact? No with new casinos coming to town, pretty soon no one with give AC a second glance. Philly will be bringing in its own revenue believe that.


No one sings about Philly. No one sings about Boston, DC,Bmore and mostly every other city in the country safe for SF, Chicago, ATL... whats your point?



I agree that NYC definitely has a betterr variety of people. But you have it all wrong with the accent peice. Most people do not know that Philly even has an accent let a lone the worst accent in the country. NY is infamous for having the accent where the words are drawn out. Ask any southerner.



It may not be much to you now but it helped build this country. That alone should give Philly some credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
DITC, I certainly know what an option is... and for the sake of respect, let's assume everyone else here does or can find out easily.

Carry on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 AM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,443,110 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
No these buildings/rowhomes have literally been standing since they were built. There may have been crime going on inside, maybe the kitchens were worn out pre-yuppification, but the exteriors were always nice. Compared to Philadelphia, New York has a lower rate of empty blocks. And this is coming from someone who is pro-middle class and anti gentrification..
Um ok whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
The NY accent is secretly loved by most people in the country, though they often wont admit it. You cant tell me OUUU LETTS GET A HOUUUGGIE is not an accent because it is. How come in the Rocky series many actors have a New York accent?.
Ha! The NY accent is not secretly loved by the rest of the country. Lol I have family all over and they always talk about the god awful NY accent. I never said Philly doesn't have an accent but it is not as well known as the New York accent. How can it have the worst accent in the country if it isnt well known? Come on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
If you think I am some clueless idiot who doesnt know history, then you got it twisted. Ive seen independence hall, the liberty bell, been to the top of city hall. Philadelphia had America's first stock exchange and currently has the options exchange with the 4th most daily volume in the US, thats if you even know what an option is. I like Philadelphia a lot, along with various other US cities. Why do you think I come read and comment in here?
You're already telling me things i know. You came in here ragging on Philly as if it has nothing to offer. I called you on it dont get defensive now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
It just wont be New York ever due to size and modern history. Instead of people having an inferiority complex and hating NY/trying to gentrify Philly to compete with NY, why dont they just focus on being Philly and making Philly better for its own residents. When I come visit Philly its because I want to be in Phlly, and I frankly dont want to hear people's laundry list of hate items about NY, because thats usually what happens. Some guy was at the Yankee game tonight with a bright red Phillies shirt. You think we gave him a hard time? No. This hate is a huge turn off and doesnt make you a better fan/city resident.
No city will ever be NY. And thats fine because NY as great as it is, is not for everyone. I'm from New York and moved to philly about 8 years ago. I cant remember the last time anyone here mentioned NYC in any conversation. Usually I tell people here I am from NY (only if they ask), and the usual response is something like, "Oh really? Thats nice. what part?" or " Its a whole different world up there!". There is never any disparaging remarks of any kind. I dont know what Philadelphians you talk to but i don't get the same negative reaction.
In regards to the sports comment, i dont watch sports so I have no comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 AM
 
718 posts, read 2,148,021 times
Reputation: 363
Ha. Im just giving constructive criticism and you people take it personally. Lighten up, its just a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top